Elvis & The Imposters with Charlie Sexton at MGM Music Hall At Fenway, Boston, MA, July 14, 2024

Pretty self-explanatory
Man out of Time

Elvis & The Imposters with Charlie Sexton at MGM Music Hall At Fenway, Boston, MA, July 14, 2024

Post by Man out of Time »

Elvis' Co-Headlining tour with Daryl Hall, will continue at the MGM Music Hall At Fenway, Boston, MA, on Sunday July 14th. Elvis will be joined by The Imposters and Charlie Sexton again.

According to the venue website the MGM Music Hall at Fenway is a state-of-the-art, multi-purpose performing arts center that occupies roughly 91,500 square feet on four levels and accommodates 5,009 patrons.

Elvis has played this venue once before, with The Imposters in 2023. This will be Elvis' 44th concert appearance in Boston.

Tickets are now on sale here priced between $89.00 and $200.00. The ticketing website suggests that maybe 75% of seats have sold - mostly the cheaper seats at the highest levels. Seats are still available at all prices.

Who's going?

MOOT
johnfoyle

Re: Elvis & The Imposters with Charlie Sexton at MGM Music Hall At Fenway, Boston, MA, July 14, 2024

Post by johnfoyle »

Who's going?
bronxapostle

Re: Elvis & The Imposters with Charlie Sexton at MGM Music Hall At Fenway, Boston, MA, July 14, 2024

Post by bronxapostle »

As per EC IG.... the boys are back tonight in Boston. Davey and Charlie back from sick bay. Great news. Enjoy all my friends going
whiteknux

Post by whiteknux »

I am going- will report here after.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

whiteknux wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2024 12:29 pm I am going- will report here after.

Thanks....it means a lot to us all here. Especially complete setlist if you can. Enjoy the night, benny
whiteknux

Post by whiteknux »

Jesus, I just wrote a very long and detailed review of tonight's show and it appears to have vanished. I'll write another one tomorrow if I can't resurrect the one I just tried to post. So annoying. Anyway, very good show.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Scott Silvia , Facebook - As a longtime fan, the Boston show tonight was, in my opinion, one of the best performances I’ve seen in a while. The setlist wasn’t all that unique, but the band was super tight and Elvis was in better voice than he’s been in a very long time. I do a have a question: is it me or is he playing WAY more guitar solos than usual? As a guitarist, I usually pay attention to that sort of thing, and I don’t feel like I’m the past I’ve really seen him take traditional solos like he was tonight. It was really nice to see him stretching out musically and showing off his chops. Charlie sounded incredible as well, and the rest of the band killed it as well.
whiteknux

Post by whiteknux »

Last night my wife and I went to the EC show- first time she's ever seen Elvis, not really a fan, though she of course respects him. I was interested to go with someone who isn't as besotted with his work as I am, since I've mostly only attended EC shows with other friends who feel as I do towards the man and his songs, and are just as if probably not more excited to see "You Little Fool," say, performed as they are "Alison" for the umpteenth time.

I asked what her initial thoughts were as the lights went up before Mr. Hall came out, and she said "Professional" and meant it as a compliment. She probably was familiar with maybe 5 or 6 songs (kudos to our guy for continuing to reach deep into his catalog on a summer co-bill tour when the easier option would of course be to stack the set with 75% "hits"- "We are All Cowards Now" and "Magnificent Hurt," for example, were highlights for me- played with verve and energy enough so even the audience members who didn't know the material were at least somewhat bopping along.

I will say, at the risk of offense, she thought his upper register was basically non-existent, and she noted his at times shaky relationship with pitch, though I will say he has vastly improved since the shows I saw in 2021-22 when he was obviously struggling post-illness and I was worried for his hearing. I hesitate to use a baseball metaphor for an English vocalist, but he sort of reminds me of a pitcher who is smart and versatile enough to adjust his approach when the fastball doesn't have the zip it once did. His guitar was raw and spiky and high in the mix, and he also gave Charlie a much longer leash than he had during his years with Mr. Dylan, to the benefit of everyone. The band as a whole seemed super happy to be back together after the sick days for Charlie and Davey (I know EC joked that it was a bad piece of fish- I am assuming it was probably a bit of COVID, but what do I know?)- lots of laughing and mugging going on, as well as stellar playing.

I was very fortunate to see EC three times last year, including one of the Gramercy shows, which was one of the best performances I've seen by anyone, ever. Would I have rather seen EC and his crew do a 2.5 hr set like the one I saw last year in Boston at the same venue? Of course, but I will gladly see him the truncated version on a co-bill as well. We're very lucky that he is out there and still vital, still interesting, still true.

Speaking of the co-bill, I haven't seen a lot of commentary around these parts as to what people think about this pairing. Any misgivings my wife may have had about EC's pitch control were quickly forgotten when Daryl came out and mangled the fuck out of his first song, gesturing angrily at his poor sound person trying their best to get the feedback under control, as though that was to blame for his thoroughly shot voice. DH's band is ridiculously good- they sounded like Steely Dan at a few points and both the bass player and percussionist/vocalist saved him several times during the course of his set. The gentleman behind me was convinced Daryl had "had a few" but it seemed more like he is unwilling to transpose the songs down to a more manageable key. He played a song off his new record that while sounding like it was composed in 1984 and encased in amber, was obviously arranged to suit what his voice can handle presently. He should have perhaps treated the radio hits the same way. The ladies didn't care, of course- they rushed the stage and took pictures and happily danced in the aisles. Not bad for a pretty boy pushing 80.