Elvis & The Attractions at TD Pavilion at the Mann, Philadelphia, PA, July 10, 2024

Pretty self-explanatory
Man out of Time

Elvis & The Attractions at TD Pavilion at the Mann, Philadelphia, PA, July 10, 2024

Post by Man out of Time »

Elvis' Co-Headlining tour with Daryl Hall, will continue at the TD Pavilion at the Mann, Philadelphia, PA, on Wednesday July 10th. Elvis will be joined by The Imposters and Charlie Sexton again.

According to Wikipedia the Mann Centre for the Performing Arts has a total seating capacity of approximately 14,000, with 4,743 seats under the roof and over 8,600 outside.

Elvis has played this venue six times before, but never yet with The Imposters.

The venue website has this to say about the show:

"Daryl Hall + Elvis Costello & The Imposters with Charlie Sexton are coming to TD Pavilion at the Mann on July 10!

Rock & Roll Hall of Famer Daryl Hall had an exciting 2023 on a solo tour with longtime friend and fellow Hall of Fame inductee support act, Todd Rundgren. Daryl also recently performed in front of 65,000 people at the historic American Express BST Hyde Park. And, a new season of his award-winning "Live from Daryl’s House" returned on November 1 on Hall’s dedicated YouTube channel.

Elvis Costello & The Imposters with Charlie Sexton toured recently to rave reviews. The Nashville Scene wrote that "Costello is proving he’s an indefatigable force of nature, and one of the greatest showmen in the history of rock ’n’ roll. (1/30/24)” while in St. Louis the Riverfront Times concluded that "Elvis Costello showed St. Louis Friday that he’s earned his legend status (1/30/24).” The Imposters are: Steve Nieve, Pete Thomas and Davey Faragher. They will once again be joined on the road by guitarist Charlie Sexton.
"

Tickets are now on sale here priced between $38.00 (lawn) and $202.00 (pit). The ticketing website suggests that maybe 50% of seats have sold (not counting lawn tickets), but of those 50 or so are available for resale. Seats are still available at all prices.

Who's going?

MOOT
Last edited by Man out of Time on Sun Jul 14, 2024 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Man out of Time

Re: Elvis & The Imposters with Charlie Sexton at TD Pavilion at the Mann, Philadelphia, PA, July 10, 2024

Anyone going to be at this show tonight?

Happily no prospect of the show clashing with the England v Netherlands match at Euro 2024 (kick off 20:00 BST), even if it goes to penalties.

MOOT
bronxapostle

Re: Elvis & The Imposters with Charlie Sexton at TD Pavilion at the Mann, Philadelphia, PA, July 10, 2024

Post by bronxapostle »

Hometown Daryl show right???
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

https://x.com/ElvisCostello/status/1811153932380688560

"Elvis Costello would like to announce that, as two members of the ensemble are indisposed, Mr Costello will initially take the stage alone.
Surprises and hilarity will ensue.
We look forward to a unique evening with the Philadelphia audience.

Bring your hands, bring your legs, bring your voice...

Don't be late we hit a 7.15p"
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Davey and Charlie were the two out sick.
SoulForHire

Post by SoulForHire »

Is it true Bruce played with EC and Steve?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Sheva -

I’m missing one song but otherwise it’s all here.

Pump it Up
Talking in the dark
Shot with his own gun
Accidents will Happen
Watching the Detectives
A Face in the Crowd
(Can’t remember song here)
Waiting for the end of the world (including Gloria)
Everybody’s Crying Mercy
Red shoes
Clubland (including Ghostown and Impatience)
Mystery dance (slow version)
Alison (including Every Day I Write the book)
PLU
Man out of Time

A couple of audience videos are now up on YouTube thanks to Rick Reilly:

- Alison

- Peace, Love & Understanding

Odd to see Pete to the side of the stage, rather than at the back.

MOOT
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/elvis-co ... 48393.html

Setlist.fm has the missing song: Come the Meantimes
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Man out of Time

Elvis posted on "X" (formerly Twitter) last night:
EC & The Attractions - Philadelphia, PA, July 10, 2024
EC & The Attractions - Philadelphia, PA, July 10, 2024
EC & The As red.jpg (142.22 KiB) Viewed 1674 times
MOOT
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Man out of Time

Text of review by Shaun Brady published in the The Philadelphia Inquirer on July 11, 2024.

At the Mann, Elvis Costello played a unique set, but it was a Daryl Hall crowd

“Once you come from here, you don’t leave here,” Hall said as fans danced in the aisles.

Everyone at the Mann Center on Wednesday night was well aware that Daryl Hall would be performing without longtime partner John Oates. The Philadelphia-bred duo, famed for their harmonies, have made headlines recently for the sour notes that their relationship has struck, embroiling them in a lawsuit and apparently bringing Hall & Oates to an acrimonious end after more than 50 years. (Oates will bring his own solo act to town next month, at Cape May Convention Hall and the Philadelphia Folk Festival.)

What came as a surprise was when co-headliner Elvis Costello showed up sans two members of his backing band, the Imposters. Bassist Davey Faragher and guitarist Charlie Sexton were waylaid not by animosity but by illness — they had “fallen afoul of a bad piece of fish” if the wry Englishman is to be believed.

Costello forged on without them, performing half of his 80-minute set as a duo with keyboardist Steve Nieve before being joined by drummer Pete Thomas during “Come the Meantimes,” from Costello’s 2013 collaboration with the Roots. Both Nieve and Thomas were members of the singer’s previous band, making this, as Costello pointed out, “as close to the Attractions as you’re ever gonna get,” Costello’s feelings toward former bassist Bruce Thomas remaining about as warm as Hall’s toward Oates.

Sporting a trucker cap and a black short-sleeved shirt, Costello launched into “Pump It Up” with Nieve shifting from piano to organ, then set his guitar aside for several songs, promising to “get back to the rock ‘n’ roll” a bit later. The pair transformed “Talking in the Dark” from 1979′s Armed Forces from a new wave rave-up into a Kurt Weill-esque theater piece, Costello’s voice cracking a bit during the rapid-fire delivery. “Shot with His Own Gun” was a logical choice, originally recorded as a voice-piano duo on 1981′s Trust.

Though he’s often drawn inspiration from Tin Pin Alley songwriters, perhaps Costello is taking more of a turn toward the theatrical due to the seven years he’s spent adapting the 1957 Andy Griffith satire A Face in the Crowd into a musical, the title song from which he performed at the piano. While the set ended with a raucous parade of hits, merging “Alison” and “Everyday I Write the Book” and inevitably culminating in “(What’s So Funny ‘Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding,” his turns as crooner proved the most affecting. A dramatic “Accidents Will Happen” was followed by a dub-noir reimagining of “Watching the Detectives,” and the aforementioned “Come the Meantimes” soared.

Elvis Costello’s set was unique, but this was Daryl Hall’s crowd. The Temple grad’s set stuck to the hits, sneaking just one new song into the encore. “If you like what I do, you’ll enjoy this,” he implored, waving a copy of his new album, D. “Can’t Say No to You” proved a pale echo of Hall’s Philly soul-imbued classics and met with a polite reception, but the crowd was back on its feet as “You Make My Dreams” closed out the night.

The show began with Hall on guitar for “Maneater” and a pair of songs from his solo output, but he spent most of his time sitting stage right at the grand piano. At 77, Hall has lost much of his upper register; the few times he attempted to match the falsetto highs of his glory years veered into tire-squeal territory. He compensated by leaving the harmonies to the members of his six-piece backing band and limiting himself to his grittier but still soulful mid-range. That shined a spotlight on the ballads, including “Everytime You Go Away” (a hit for singer Paul Young in 1985) and especially “Sara Smile,” which still possessed the emotional intimacy of the original.

It was the up-tempo hits that got the fans up and dancing, though. The pairing of “Kiss on My List” and “Private Eyes” propelled people into the aisles on this hot, humid July night. That included an offseason Santa Claus near the front of the stage, whose presence prompted a joke about his sleigh from Hall and a few bars of “Jingle Bells” during Charles DeChant’s sax solo on “I Can’t Go for That (No Can Do).”

“I’m in a Philly Mood,” from 1983′s Soul Alone, has been a staple on this tour, but Hall acknowledged that it took on a special meaning in his hometown. “Once you come from here, you don’t leave here,” he professed to howls of approval. “I don’t give a f— if you live in Berlin. Be proud of that.”
Photo credit Steven M. Falk
Photo credit Steven M. Falk
2024-07-11 Philadelphia Inquirer photo 01 smf.jpg (94.2 KiB) Viewed 1551 times
MOOT
Charles

Post by Charles »

What a wonderful show to have seen! Super jealous! And may I add, look how incredible Elvis looks. Killing it in short sleeves and a baseball hat. He’s going to be 70 next month and he’s still crazy cool…