Elvis & The Imposters with Charlie Sexton at Santa Barbara Bowl , Santa Barbara, CA, June 14, 2024

Pretty self-explanatory
Man out of Time

Elvis & The Imposters with Charlie Sexton at Santa Barbara Bowl , Santa Barbara, CA, June 14, 2024

Post by Man out of Time »

Elvis' Co-Headlining tour with Daryl Hall, will continue at the Santa Barbara Bowl in Santa Barbara, CA. Elvis will be joined by The Imposters and Charlie Sexton again.

The Santa Barbara Bowl is a 4,562-seat outdoor amphitheater. This will be Elvis' seventh appearance at the venue.

The venue website has this to say:

"Elvis Costello is a writer and part-time musician who made a number of records in the 20th Century, some of which are still remembered today.

He was born in London and raised there and in Liverpool.

Costello currently performs with The Imposters; his long time companions, drummer, Pete Thomas and pianist, Steve Nieve, bassist of twenty-three years standing, Davey Faragher and their special guest, Texas guitarist, Charlie Sexton."

Tickets are now on sale (here) priced between $165.00 and $49.00. Difficult to judge from the online seating plan, but maybe 80% of the tickets have sold so far, so some still available at all prices.

Who's going?

MOOT
johnfoyle

Re: Elvis & The Imposters with Charlie Sexton at Santa Barbara Bowl , Santa Barbara, CA, June 14, 2024

Post by johnfoyle »

Who's going ?
Hey Woz

Re: Elvis & The Imposters with Charlie Sexton at Santa Barbara Bowl , Santa Barbara, CA, June 14, 2024

Post by Hey Woz »

I'm going. This is a great venue and Santa Barbara is always beautiful.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

HEY (all...especially) WOZ my friend. Does anyone know why this set appears significantly shortened?
Brodsky

Post by Brodsky »

Set appears longer than originally thought, as more songs have been added on the setlist fm site.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/elvis-co ... 6422f.html
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.independent.com/2024/06/18/ ... come-true/

Review | Elvis Costello and Daryl Hall Make Some Musical Dreams Come True
Alison, Elvis, Sara, Daryl, and Almost Everyone I Went to High School with at the Santa Barbara Bowl

It’s impossible to have a bad night at a double headliner concert that ends with Elvis Costello singing “Alison” and Daryl Hall crooning “You Make My Dreams (Come True).”

The whiff of nostalgia was in the air at the Bowl on Friday night — if you were older than 50 and had enough disposable income and time to spare — the double bill promise of Costello and Hall was playing our siren song, and this was definitely the place to be!

Elvis was up first, with no opener, just straight to the hits at hand. He jumped in with “Pump It Up,” a 1978 Elvis Costello and the Attractions classic (from This Year’s Model, an album cassette tape I wore out more than one copy of back in the day) that got the crowd on its feet pretty quickly. There was also an audible sigh along the lines of, “We’re so happy he’s playing his old stuff,” when 1977’s “Watching the Detectives” (from the iconic My Aim Is True album) was up next. The pace was perhaps a bit slower than I remember, but the band — with special guest Charlie Sexton on electric guitar, and the Imposters featuring Pete Thomas on drums, Davey Faragher on bass and backing vocals, and Steve Nieve on keyboards — was tight throughout his set, with Thomas as a particular standout to my ears. Costello’s voice took a little while to warm up, but he’s still got it — in spades.

Next up was a streak of recent songs including “No Flag,” “Hattie O’Hara Confidential,” and “Wonder Woman,” followed by the aptly named “No Reason to Quit” (played for what was apparently only the second time in 38 years, if setlist.fm is accurate). The set also included the beautiful song “A Face in the Crowd,” from a stage musical of the same name (based on the 1957 film) that he’s been workshopping for years and is scheduled to run in London.

Costello finished strong with a streak of oldies: “Clubland,” “Everyday I Write the Book,” “What’s so Funny About Peace, Love and Understanding,” and finally, the aforementioned “Alison,” which is one of my favorites — just like Costello himself.

Hall was up next, after a somewhat elaborate set change. His set was a bit uneven; he started out with “Maneater,” followed by “Dreamtime,” and “It’s Uncanny,” which featured a nice sax solo by the excellent Charlie DeChant, a standout throughout the night.

Hall’s voice warmed up with a run of familiar tunes that included “Foolish Pride,” and “Out of Touch,” and so did the energy of the crowd that stuck with him. We were justly rewarded with a strong finish that included “Everytime You Go Away” (a song Hall penned but a guy named Paul Young made into a familiar hit), “Sara Smile,” “I Can’t Go for That (No Can Do),” “Can’t Say No to You” (a recent collaboration with Dave Stewart of the Eurythmics), and as I previously mentioned, “You Make My Dreams (Come True).”

My real dream would have been to have Costello join Hall onstage for the finale — perhaps “The Only Flame in Town,” a 1984 Costello song that featured Hall on backing vocals — but all in all it was a fun, nostalgia-filled night of music.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.edhat.com/news/music-review ... bara-bowl/

Music Review: Elvis Costello at the Santa Barbara Bowl

While soaking up Golden Hour light and crisp brews in a relaxed reverie at the top of the Santa Barbara Bowl, the opening notes of “Pump it Up” ushered us quickly down the stairs and into the presence of one of the masters of rock and roll – Elvis Costello.

Performing with the Imposters, Costello was full of swagger, decked out in a fedora and golden shoes (did the angels take his red shoes?) and clearly enjoying a picture perfect SB summer night. The tight musicianship of drummer Pete Thomas, pianist Steve Nieve, bassist Davey Faragher and Texas guitarist Charlie Sexton, who played with Bob Dylan for decades, demonstrates the freewheelin’ sound of seasoned pros having fun while doing what they do best.

The set list ranged from classics to covers to more obscure tracks like a lovely piano ballad from Costello’s musical, “A Face in the Crowd.” Hits like “Everyday I Write the Book” were reinterpreted with a windy and fluid performance, leaving plenty of room for Sexton and Costello to jam out on the guitar, and for the audience to take part in the catchy call and response of “Everyday!” “Everyday!” I relished the chance to see this master of songwriting sing the metaphorical lines I’d replayed in my head for years like: “When your dreamboat turns out to be a footnote/I’m a man with a mission on two or three editions.”

The set concluded with an action-packed dive into crowd-pleasers such as “What’s So Funny About Peace, Love and Understanding,” a song that seems to only grow in worldly relevance. “Alison” had the audience in rapture, swaying in their seats to this swoony slower jam. It was a treat to see the punkier side of Costello come out in the driving, “(I Don’t Want to Go to) Chelsea.”

Closing the show armed with enthusiasm, Daryl Hall didn’t waste any time connecting with his 80’s-craving fanbase, reeling us in with “Maneater.” His voice was strong, and although missing Oates, Hall poured an extra serving of passion into favorites like “I Can’t Go for That” and “Sara Smile.” Concluding the encore with the endlessly upbeat “You Make My Dreams Come True” and looking around the Bowl at the grinning and dancing crowd, it was clear that he made the wishes of many a reality.

At the age of 69 and 77, respectively, Costello and Hall are still full of youthful exuberance and exude an easy joy in performing. As that irresistible Costello tune affirms, their “aim is true.”