ELVIS solo GRAMERCY NYC February 14, 2023

Pretty self-explanatory
sweetest punch

Re: ELVIS solo GRAMERCY NYC February 14, 2023

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.brooklynvegan.com/elvis-cos ... s-setlist/

Elvis Costello played Valentine’s Day with Steve Nieve at Night 5 of his NYC residency (pics, setlist)

Elvis Costello is halfway through his 10-night "100 Songs And More" residency at NYC's Gramercy Theater where he's playing a completely different set each night, no repeats, where "each night will tell a different tale." At previous shows, he's been bringing out special guests who join him for a few songs, but on Tuesday night Elvis let the crowd know that he was the special guest, and given it was Valentine's Day, he was playing a set of love songs. One of those was "Toledo," which he co-wrote with the late, great Burt Bacharach, to whom he dedicated the song (and paid tribute to at the first night of the residency). Elvis is one of rock's great raconteurs and his banter can be worth the price of admission alone, and it's also fun to hear him rework songs, like Attractions' classic "I Hope You're Happy Now" which he transformed here into a ballad.

There actually was a special guest, though. Imposters and Attractions keyboardist Steve Nieve, who came straight to the theater from his Air France flight, joined Elvis for the last third of the show, which included "High Fidelity," a cover of George Jones' "A Good Year for the Roses," "Indoor Fireworks," "My Funny Valentine," "I'll Wear it Proudly," and "(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding" which has closed every show so far. Check out the setlist below.

For this residency, Gramercy Theater has been redubbed Elvis House, with the titles of Costello songs printed on the stair steps and other special decorations, plus an extra large merch area with signed items, test pressings and more. Check out photos by P Squared from Night 5 along with the setlist below.

Steve Nieve will join Elvis for the remaining five Gramercy Theater shows which resume Thursday (2/16) and run through February 22. Some resale tickets are available. Right after this residency, Elvis will take The Imposters on the road for a short tour and in May is hosting a destination concert vacation in Iceland.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
eastvillage

Post by eastvillage »

I was at the show last night (2/14) and have seen Elvis countless times since my first, in 1978. There is no artist I've seen so consistently through his or her entire career.

It had been a couple of years since I saw one of his shows, at Brooklyn Steel with the Impostors. That night he sang with an impaired voice that struggled to hit melodies and stay in tune.

For those who were there last night, would you say that Elvis' voice was normal for the present era? Not only did he strain to sing his melodies last night, but it seemed as if hearing loss may disrupt his ability to stay in tune and to notice when his guitars are not in tune.

I loved the show and agree with a previous post that Riot Act was a high point, one far out of reach of almost any performer. Please don't take this inquiry as a put-down of Elvis, but I do wonder whether for Elvis fans this is the new normal.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
heyhermano

Post by heyhermano »

Many thoughts about last night’s incredible show, but I’ve got to say that when this residency was announced, and I decided to fly in for three shows, I never imagined I’d get a 2.5-hour-long show on any of the nights. Silly me thinking that he’d take it easy and pace himself with brisk 75-minute sets!
Newspaper Pane

Post by Newspaper Pane »

sweetest punch wrote:Connor R. writes about night #5: https://www.spin.com/2023/02/elvis-cost ... ight-five/
With a shout-out to the Wiki!

And yes the Steve just getting off the plane thing was a put-on, since he was seen at the show Saturday night!
Arbogast

Post by Arbogast »

NOTHING on You Tube from this show? C'mon, guys!!
Newspaper Pane

Post by Newspaper Pane »

Arbogast wrote:NOTHING on You Tube from this show? C'mon, guys!!
I never record, but I saw many people doing it. Maybe they don't have YouTube accounts?
cwr

Post by cwr »

Newspaper Pane wrote:
sweetest punch wrote:Connor R. writes about night #5: https://www.spin.com/2023/02/elvis-cost ... ight-five/
With a shout-out to the Wiki!

And yes the Steve just getting off the plane thing was a put-on, since he was seen at the show Saturday night!
I figured as much, but when in doubt, PRINT THE LEGEND
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

All the videos and other posts are so cool. Wish I could fly into NYC this weekend. Any loose/available tickets for next week’s shows?
Newspaper Pane

Post by Newspaper Pane »

MOJO wrote:All the videos and other posts are so cool. Wish I could fly into NYC this weekend. Any loose/available tickets for next week’s shows?
I'm sure you can find something. Come on down!
JerseyPride78

Post by JerseyPride78 »

MOJO wrote:All the videos and other posts are so cool. Wish I could fly into NYC this weekend. Any loose/available tickets for next week’s shows?
There’s been tickets released at the box office for every show so far.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

JerseyPride78 wrote:
There’s been tickets released at the box office for every show so far.
Which is exactly why from day one of ticket sales from fan offering to ticketmaster pre sale to general public on sale date till show dates, I pronounced that ELVIS DID THIS CORRECTLY! EC stamped his imprint on this whole situation I believe....not tour management or any of his team. It reeks WONDERFULLY of Elvis and Elvis only!
whiteknux

Post by whiteknux »

eastvillage wrote:I was at the show last night (2/14) and have seen Elvis countless times since my first, in 1978. There is no artist I've seen so consistently through his or her entire career.

It had been a couple of years since I saw one of his shows, at Brooklyn Steel with the Impostors. That night he sang with an impaired voice that struggled to hit melodies and stay in tune.

For those who were there last night, would you say that Elvis' voice was normal for the present era? Not only did he strain to sing his melodies last night, but it seemed as if hearing loss may disrupt his ability to stay in tune and to notice when his guitars are not in tune.

I loved the show and agree with a previous post that Riot Act was a high point, one far out of reach of almost any performer. Please don't take this inquiry as a put-down of Elvis, but I do wonder whether for Elvis fans this is the new normal.
Figured I would jump in here since nobody else has: The last two full band shows I saw there were definitely some issues. I mentioned them here and it wasn't received all that well, and I think everyone around here has been so over the moon with this run of shows (including me! Last Friday was probably the best EC show I've ever seen- I was floating out of that theater) that I haven't heard any commentary besides your post regarding pitch or instruments being out of tune. I did read someone describing his voice as "breathy" from the show I attended (don't think it was on this board but rather from a professional reviewer). The night I went I really didn't hear anything out of sorts, maybe a waver here or there but I was ecstatic at how improved his voice sounded from just last August when I saw him in Boston.

Sorry to hear that wasn't the case on your end, and glad that you still enjoyed the show! I was a bit concerned that as the Gramercy run went on and the shows seemed to be getting steadily longer (and with so much focus required to execute so much material so rarely played) that the voice might suffer. But from the few video snippets I've seen that hasn't been the case. I'm lucky enough to be seeing the full band in New Hampshire (in a venue not even twice the size of the Gramercy) early next month and I'm interested to see how things sound vocally.
jmm

Post by jmm »

What a fun show on Valentine’s Day. EC said he doesn’t really right love songs although my 3 sons and puppet and others in the set list seem to fit the bill.

Love lost, now that’s another way to go! Dreamed of, greatest love and many more. Could basically site the majority of the set list as highlights like riot act, beyond belief, crimes of Paris, my funny v, etc

When Steve appeared play in the crowd he settled right next to me for part of I’ll wear it proudly- a new immersive experience

Be back on Sunday, Monday and Wed + wellmont - amazing run!!
I too am a limited, primitive kind of man
eastvillage

Post by eastvillage »

whiteknux wrote:
Figured I would jump in here since nobody else has: The last two full band shows I saw there were definitely some issues. I mentioned them here and it wasn't received all that well, and I think everyone around here has been so over the moon with this run of shows (including me! Last Friday was probably the best EC show I've ever seen- I was floating out of that theater) that I haven't heard any commentary besides your post regarding pitch or instruments being out of tune. I did read someone describing his voice as "breathy" from the show I attended (don't think it was on this board but rather from a professional reviewer). The night I went I really didn't hear anything out of sorts, maybe a waver here or there but I was ecstatic at how improved his voice sounded from just last August when I saw him in Boston.

Sorry to hear that wasn't the case on your end, and glad that you still enjoyed the show! I was a bit concerned that as the Gramercy run went on and the shows seemed to be getting steadily longer (and with so much focus required to execute so much material so rarely played) that the voice might suffer. But from the few video snippets I've seen that hasn't been the case. I'm lucky enough to be seeing the full band in New Hampshire (in a venue not even twice the size of the Gramercy) early next month and I'm interested to see how things sound vocally.
Thanks, whiteknux, for responding! I'll be going back on Monday, hoping for the best!