Spanish Model, Sept 10, 2021 - New release based on one of Elvis Costello and the Attractions most celebrated albums!!

Pretty self-explanatory
sweetest punch

Re: Spanish This Year’s Model - New release based on one of Elvis Costello and the Attractions most celebrated albums!!

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.google.be/amp/s/www.mojo4mu ... d-bowie/[b]

MOJO 334 – September 2021: David Bowie[/b]
New MOJO magazine features David Bowie, Joni Mitchell, Bruce Springsteen, Nirvana, Hunky Dory-inspired CD and more. Available now!

THIS MONTH’S MOJO MAGAZINE bursts with big names. David Bowie’s friends and bandmates – plus the elusive Tony Defries – relive the beauty and daring of Hunky Dory on the occasion of its 50th birthday. Only 30 but no less potent, we revisit Nirvana’s Nevermind with Krist Novoselic, Butch Vig and more. Jimi Hendrix’s lost Joni Mitchell tape is uncovered. Bruce Springsteen’s glory days are exposed. We explore the tenacity of The Hollies, the tragedy of Bill Evans, and Jeff Wayne’s indestructible War Of The Worlds. Plus: Elvis Costello en espagnol; Manic Street Preachers’ Nicky Wire says sorry. And: The Beach Boys; Blackbeard; David Wiffen; Kevin Coyne; George Harrison; Prince; Villagers. Then it’s all back to Jakob Dylan’s!

(…)

PLUS Jimi Hendrix’s legendary Joni tape unearthed / Elvis Costello presents... This Year’s Model, in Spanish! / W.H. Lung and The Shadracks are rising / Amorphous Androgynous on Weller, Noel and humility / The return of David Wiffen / How To Buy... Kevin Coyne / Adieu, Jon Hassell and Ellen McIlwaine / All Back To Jakob Dylan’s!
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Re: Spanish This Year’s Model - New release based on one of Elvis Costello and the Attractions most celebrated albums!!

Post by sweetest punch »

Last edited by sweetest punch on Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
fred darden

Re: Spanish Model, Sept 10, 2021 - New release based on one of Elvis Costello and the Attractions most celebrated albums

Post by fred darden »

Is there to be a vinyl version?
The Gentleman

Re: Spanish Model, Sept 10, 2021 - New release based on one of Elvis Costello and the Attractions most celebrated albums

Post by The Gentleman »

I’m intrigued by the implication there is a EC&A version of “Running Out Of Angels” in the vault.

Though it’s possible it’s just the solo demo with new overdubs and an odd credit (the Rykodisc CD where it was originally released was credited to the full band, so that could be the explanation).
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

https://www.elviscostello.com/#!/news/299818

ELVIS COSTELLO & SEBASTIAN KRYS REMODEL THE ALBUM, THIS YEAR‘S MODEL, INTO SPANISH MODEL, A DARING, FIRST OF ITS KIND RECORD

THE ALBUM FEATURES ONLY THE ATTRACTIONS’ ORIGINAL INSTRUMENTAL PERFORMANCES WITH NEWLY RECORDED VOCALS BY LATIN POP AND ROCK ARTISTS SINGING COSTELLO’S LYRICS TRANSLATED AND ADAPTED INTO SPANISH

16 SONGS PRODUCED BY MULTIPLE GRAMMY AND LATIN GRAMMY AWARD-WINNING PRODUCER SEBASTIAN KRYS, “FROM AN ORIGINAL IDEA BY ELVIS COSTELLO”

FIRST SINGLE UNVEILED TODAY IS JUANES PERFORMING “PUMP IT UP”

THE ALBUM STARS: CAMI, DRACO ROSA, FITO PÁEZ, FRANCISCA VALENZUELA Y LUIS HUMBERTO NAVEJAS, GIAN MARCO Y NICOLE ZIGNAGO, JESSE & JOY, JORGE DREXLER, JUANES, LA MARISOUL, LUIS FONSI, MORAT, NINA DIAZ, PABLO LÓPEZ, RAQUEL SOFÍA Y FUEGO, SEBASTIÁN YATRA and VEGA

SPANISH MODEL DUE SEPTEMBER 10 VIA UMe

Elvis Costello and longtime collaborator, 18-time GRAMMY® and Latin GRAMMY® award-winning producer, Sebastian Krys, have brought together a stunning international cast of some of the biggest Latin rock and pop artists from around the globe to interpret Elvis Costello and The Attractions’ album, This Year’s Model, entirely in Spanish. The inspired Spanish-language adaptations are set to the band’s classic studio performances, culled from the original master recordings, which have been newly mixed by Krys, revealing a new power and intensity to The Attractions’ 1978 instrumental performances. The mixes, sometimes running on, allow us to now hear “What Happened Next:” Costello and Mick Jones of The Clash lock dueling rhythm guitars in a thrilling coda to “Pump It Up” or Pete Thomas almost demolishing his drum kit at the end of “No Action.” There is even the occasional vocal cameo appearance by the bandleader, but the album can now be enjoyed in an entirely new way. Spanish Model is set for release September 10 via UMe.

Watch/share video for “Pump It Up” by Juanes

Pre-order Spanish Model

Pre-order This Year’s Model

As Costello and Krys began to think of artists that would be a good fit, they discovered that This Year’s Model was an important record to many artists in the pan-Latin world, but its true nature had never been fully appreciated because of the language barrier. They enlisted many Costello fans, a few who Krys and Costello felt would be a great fit for the song, and all of whom have stellar careers and were excited to participate and bring their own styles to the immediacy and poignancy of the original songs, helping to create an entirely new listening experience.

Spanish Model features such artists as: Cami, Draco Rosa, Fito Páez, Francisca Valenzuela & Luis Humberto Navejas (lead singer of Enjambre), Gian Marco & Nicole Zignago, Jesse & Joy, Jorge Drexler, Juanes, La Marisoul, Luis Fonsi, Morat, Nina Diaz, Pablo López, Raquel Sofía & Fuego, Sebastián Yatra, and Vega. They sing these timeless and universal songs, which have been expertly translated and adapted into Spanish to retain their meaning, energy, attitude, and wit. The concept represents what may be a first: an artist replacing their vocals with newly recorded performances by other artists singing in another language, backed by the original music. The full track listing is below:

1. No Action – Nina Diaz
2. (Yo No Quiero Ir A) Chelsea ((I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea) - Raquel Sofía y Fuego
3. Yo Te Vi (The Beat) – Draco Rosa
4. Pump It Up – Juanes
5. Detonantes (Little Triggers) – La Marisoul
6. Tu Eres Para Mi (You Belong To Me) – Luis Fonsi
7. Hand In Hand – Francisca Valenzuela y Luis Humberto Navejas
8. La Chica de Hoy (This Year's Girl) – Cami
9. Mentira (Lip Service) – Pablo López
10. Viviendo en el Paraiso (Living In Paradise) – Jesse & Joy
11. Lipstick Vogue – Morat
12. La Turba (Night Rally) – Jorge Drexler
13. Llorar (Big Tears) – Sebastián Yatra
14. Radio Radio – Fito Páez
15. Crawling To The U.S.A. - Gian Marco y Nicole Zignago
16. Se Esta Perdiendo La Inocencia (Running Out Of Angels) - Vega

The album includes 16 tracks drawing from the original U.S. version of This Year’s Model (“Pump It Up,” “Radio Radio,” “This Year’s Girl,” “The Beat”) plus several other songs from those sessions. The album will be available on CD, digital and 180-gram vinyl.

This Year’s Model, which has been newly remastered, will also be released concurrently on CD and 180-gram black vinyl with the addition of “Big Tears” and “Radio Radio.” A limited edition version, that pairs both Spanish Model and the new pressing of This Year’s Model together as a 180-gram double LP, will be released exclusively via ElvisCostello.com, uDiscover and Sound Of Vinyl webstores.

Today’s launch is heralded with the release of an exciting video from Colombian superstar Juanes, whose own recently released Origen album was also produced by Sebastian Krys and featured Pete Thomas on drums. His exhilarating performance of “Pump It Up,” (with its spitfire lyrics now in Spanish) manages to match the same intensity and feel as the original, while Costello’s original backing vocals provide the trademark chorus and an instant familiarity. The video plays on this by transforming Costello’s signature video by rotoscoping the original and inserting Juanes’ head in place of Costello’s to create a playfully updated version that’s a perfect blend of the old and new, that this daring album embodies. “'Pump It Up' is such an iconic and signature song from Elvis' amazing repertoire, that it was a real honor to have the chance to sing with the original 1978 recording and be a part of that propulsive energy," Juanes said.

Spanish Model exudes the same kind of energy and spirit as the original but with a Latin twist. With 19 featured artists representing 10 countries and territories across the Spanish-speaking world including: Argentina, Chile, Colombia, Dominican Republic, Mexico, Peru, Puerto Rico, Spain, Uruguay, plus several from the United States. The album is truly a global, collaborative affair. Costello’s spiky guitars collide with band mates Steve Nieve’s carnival-esque keys and the urgent, propulsive rhythms of bassist Bruce Thomas and drummer Pete Thomas, as The Attractions virtually back a host of Latin music legends, contemporary stars and burgeoning artists for a set of thrilling Spanish-language performances imbued with each artist’s singular identity and style.

The idea for Spanish Model dates back to 2018 when it was sparked by a request by show runner, David Simon (“The Wire,” “Treme”), to turn “This Year’s Girl” into a duet with a singer, Natalie Bergman for the opening credits of the second season of his show, “The Deuce.” Shortly after that came to fruition, allowing Costello to hear his song in a new way, he had a dream where he heard This Year's Model, but in Spanish. With his curiosity and interest piqued he called his frequent collaborator, Argentinian-born, Latin GRAMMY Producer of the Year, Sebastian Krys, about the idea of having artists sing the entire album over the original backing tracks. It wasn’t long before the two were figuring out how to make the dream a reality.

Since releasing, My Aim Is True, in 1977, the ever musically curious Costello has allowed himself to follow his artistic desires wherever it takes him, often into unpredictable yet exciting territory. Across more than four decades, the iconoclast has reveled in exploring the human condition through a wildly diverse catalog that includes collaborations with Burt Bacharach, Allen Toussaint, Paul McCartney, T Bone Burnett, Brodsky Quartet, Spinal Tap, Anne Sofie von Otter, The Roots and his wife, Diana Krall along with many others spanning a dizzying array of genres, from country and jazz to orchestral, pop, rock, experimental and beyond, all the while keeping his audiences on their toes. After winning a Grammy for Look Now, his 2018 album with The Imposters, Costello recently released a French language EP, featuring French adaptations by Iggy Pop, Isabelle Adjani, Tshegue, Etta Somatis & AJUQ of songs from his acclaimed 2020 album, Hey Clockface.

“Part of the fun of this project is its unexpected nature,” Costello said. “Although, I think people in my audience that have been paying attention are pretty much used to surprises by now.”

“When Elvis told me the idea,” Krys said, “it took me about 15 seconds to answer. I have been in so many situations where I was trying to turn Latin artists onto Elvis Costello's music. The feedback I heard most often was ‘I love it. I wish I knew what he was saying.’ Spanish Model is an opportunity to turn an entire side of the world onto this great record and through these voices, get these ideas out. Lyrically, This Year's Model is still relevant today, what the songs have to say and how they say it.”

Costello and Krys worked closely with all the artists and in some cases with several songwriters, including Elsten Torres, Ximena Muñoz, Luis Mitre, Andie Sandoval and Vega to adapt the lyrics so the Spanish versions would seamlessly capture each song. With the lyrics in place, each artist set out to record.

The translation was key as Luis Fonsi explained: “The lyrics felt really natural. Nothing stuck out, and you can’t just read it. You must sing the lyrics to really know if the song will work or not. From the first time I started singing ‘You Belong To Me,’ it just felt natural. It's true to the original lyric. It has that same energy.”

“It’s tricky,” Fonsi said, “because you want to respect the original version. I tip-toed my way around it. Do you veer off a little bit? What’s the perfect combination?”

“I had a blast singing ‘Triggers,’” La Marisoul said. “The translation was beautiful. I just love ballads where I can get down and sing.”

Costello first hinted about the release last year when he created an “October surprise” playlist, 50 Songs for 50 Days, which included a, briefly available, preview of Spanish Model with Gian Marco and Nicole Zignago’s politically charged version of “Crawling To The U.S.A.” Costello and Krys recently discussed the origins of Spanish Model at the 2021 Latin Alternative Music Conference last month.

“This Year’s Model is about desire and how that relates to love, fashion and to the male gaze towards women and control, especially in political control over us all,” Costello said. “I don't think there's anything that somebody in another language would not have encountered. Some of the lyrics might be a little obscure because I use peculiar English idioms, but I constantly fall in love with records in other languages in which I don't even know one or two courtesy words. What you respond to is the humanity, the pride, the sorrow, the celebration.”

Ultimately, Spanish Model echoes the personal journey of celebrating influences and inspirations that Costello has embarked upon in countless creative ways over the years, whether taking him outside his comfort zone, expanding his musical repertoire or, as with this project, discovering something new altogether.

Elvis Costello & The Attractions (with Various Artists) — SPANISH MODEL [CD + LP]

CD/DIGITAL
All Songs With Elvis Costello & The Attractions

1. No Action – Nina Diaz
2. (Yo No Quiero Ir A) Chelsea ((I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea) - Raquel Sofía y Fuego
4. Pump It Up – Juanes
9. Mentira (Lip Service) – Pablo López
10. Viviendo en el Paraiso (Living In Paradise) – Jesse & Joy
11. Lipstick Vogue – Morat
12. La Turba (Night Rally) – Jorge Drexler
13. Llorar (Big Tears) – Sebastián Yatra
14. Radio Radio – Fito Páez
15. Crawling To The U.S.A. - Gian Marco y Nicole Zignago
16. Se Esta Perdiendo La Inocencia (Running Out Of Angels) - Vega

LP
SIDE A
1. No Action – Nina Diaz
4. Pump It Up – Juanes

SIDE B
1. Mentira (Lip Service) – Pablo López
2. Viviendo en el Paraiso (Living In Paradise) – Jesse & Joy
3. Lipstick Vogue – Morat
4. La Turba (Night Rally) – Jorge Drexler
5. Llorar (Big Tears) – Sebastián Yatra
6. Radio Radio – Fito Páez
7. Crawling To The U.S.A. - Gian Marco y Nicole Zignago
8. Se Esta Perdiendo La Inocencia (Running Out Of Angels) – Vega
And No Coffee Table

And No Coffee Table wrote:17. (I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea (Dub Remix) - Elvis Costello & The Attractions, Raquel Sofia & Fuego
18. Pump It Up (Duet Remix) - Elvis Costello & The Attractions & Juanes
19. Pump It Up (Brutal Remix) - Elvis Costello & The Attractions
These tracks are listed as part of the iTunes and Amazon downloads, but they are not mentioned at all in the announcement at ElvisCostello.com.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi ... 1197730/[b]

Elvis Costello on Why He Remade ‘This Year’s Model’ Entirely in Spanish[/b]
Costello, Juanes, and producer Sebastian Krys talk about the all-star Spanish Model project

Elvis Costello doesn’t speak Spanish, but on at least one occasion, he’s dreamt in it.

Back in 2018, the television writer David Simon had reached out to him about transforming “This Year’s Girl,” the prickling cut from his pivotal 1978 LP This Year’s Model, into a duet for the second season of The Deuce. The thought of reworking a classic might have unnerved a less adventurous artist, but Costello, ever the shapeshifter, was intrigued. He and his frequent collaborator, the Grammy-winning Argentinean producer Sebastian Krys, dug into the song’s original masters and added vocals by the singer Natalie Bergman alongside Costello’s. The process sparked all kinds of ideas about reinvention and reinterpretation for Costello — and some nights later, he had a dream that he’d been listening to all of This Year’s Model in a brand-new way: in a completely different language.

“The curiosity of this was discovering that the master tapes are in such good condition and hearing how powerful the band sounded when you took my voice out,” Costello tells Rolling Stone on a recent Zoom call from Vancouver. “There was so much going on. Then, when we heard Natalie Bergman sing that verse, I thought, ‘Well this is something different.’ And somewhere along the line, I made this leap to, ‘Let’s try to do this in Spanish.’”

Costello tapped Krys again to finish Spanish Model, an unexpected album due out on September 10th, featuring a roster of artists from Spanish-speaking parts of the world — including Juanes, Jorge Drexler, Luis Fonsi, Francisca Valenzuela, Fuego, Draco Rosa, and Fito Páez, among many others — singing translated versions of 16 songs drawn from the This Year’s Model era. The project isn’t a collection of tribute songs or typical covers; all of the new vocal performances are set to the Attractions’ original recordings and instrumentation, capturing the energy of the band, who backed Costello for the first time on the original LP.

Krys says he’d been a massive fan of This Year’s Model for years, and calls “No Action” one of his favorite opening tracks “of all time, for any record.” He served as the project’s key connector, helping Costello find vocal talents who could both carry the weight of the songs and breathe new life into them. They also worked with the artists (and, in some cases, the songwriters Elsten Torres, Ximena Muñoz, Luis Mitre, and Andie Sandoval), to adapt the lyrics.

“Initially I was just sort of shocked,” Krys says, remembering his reaction when Costello brought the concept to him. “And then I started thinking about it. One of the things I’ve always loved about Elvis as an artist is that he really follows the music and not necessarily what people expect. So, I thought, ‘Well, this makes sense, actually.’”

The first song from the project is a version of “Pump It Up” performed by Colombian rocker Juanes. The video cheekily reflects the spirit of Spanish Model by taking the band members’ bodies from the original video and sticking a cut-out graphic of Juanes’ head over them. Juanes, who remembers watching the video as a kid in Medellín, says that when Krys approached him about tackling “Pump It Up,” he was instantly game.

“A very cool thing for me was just to learn from the masters,” Juanes says. “We grew up listening to music from England, music from the United States. I’m from Colombia, Sebastian is from Argentina, so we grew up listening to these guys, and now we have the opportunities to be inside of these tracks.”

Although Juanes knew a lot about Costello’s work — he also collaborated with Attractions drummer Pete Thomas on his own latest album, Origen — the other artists involved with the project had varying degrees of familiarity with This Year’s Model. Many of them wanted to talk to Costello and glean as much as they could about the meaning behind the songs. “I spoke with Drexler for a long time about ‘Night Rally’ — he wanted to understand every idiom,” Costello says.

Others were eager to do their own thing. “Draco was saying to Sebastian, ‘I really have to speak to Elvis,’ so I thought we were going to have a similar-length conversation,” Costello adds. “He got on the phone and he said, ‘Can I do anything I want?’ I said, ‘Yes,’ and he said, ‘Okay then.’”

For Costello, Spanish Model has exposed qualities that had been lurking in the music all along. “We were only 23 when we made this record, so we didn’t know enough to mess it all up. We didn’t have big ideas. ‘Pump It Up’ was one take—the first take… so it had that new-paint feel about it,” he says. “The thing with the translation, and we’ve discovered a lot over the record, [is that] the Spanish adaptation makes the melodies sound a little different, because the sound elements are different. I sing with a lot of, shall we say, attitude, particularly then. With songs like ‘Hand In Hand’ and ‘Living In Paradise,’ I didn’t realize these songs had melody — I thought it was just me sneering. I didn’t realize they had tunes until I heard them sung by more melodious singers in another language.”

This project has also created quite a few new bonds both across generations and geography. “We met up at the old A&M Studios, the Charlie Chaplin Studios in Hollywood, which is now Henson, and we all talked, and one of the interesting things was hearing at what point any of the artists had heard of me, because I didn’t think they knew who I was. And with some, it was about new acquaintance, and some people had heard a record a while ago,” Costello says. “Likewise, some people I knew their work, other people I didn’t, so, that was all thanks to Sebastian. Now, I feel I have 15 new friends.”

sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

And No Coffee Table wrote:
And No Coffee Table wrote:17. (I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea (Dub Remix) - Elvis Costello & The Attractions, Raquel Sofia & Fuego
These tracks are listed as part of the iTunes and Amazon downloads, but they are not mentioned at all in the announcement at ElvisCostello.com.
Yeah, I'm getting the same on iTunes. The credits would suggest that the 'duet remix' is a remix of the Spanish version but that the 'brutal remix' is a straight remix of the original track. It's the only one of the 19 tracks credited only to 'Elvis Costello and the Attractions'. Mind you, it'll have to go some to beat the 'dance mix' on the 'Only Flame in Town' 12", I bloody love that.

I'm quite enjoying Elvis and Mick Jones 'locking duelling rhythm guitars', but I do feel that 'thrilling coda' is over-egging it a bit - it's only seven or eight bars. Hey-ho, it's still a nice little extra - just wish it went on a bit longer.

I'll reserve judgment on the Spanish vocals (until I can actually hear the damn thing) but I confess my main interest in this (already pre-ordered) is in hearing what Seb has done with the instrumental parts by way of remixing.
jardine

Post by jardine »

I don't feel reserved. That pump it up fragment sounds horrible.
The Gentleman

Post by The Gentleman »

I haven’t seen anything to indicate if the upcoming TYM remaster includes a remix of the entire original album but given the nature of the Spanish Model project, that would seem to make a lot of sense.

If nothing else, a remix would seem like a stronger marketing hook than “NOW WITH FEWER BONUS TRACKS!”
Poor Deportee

Post by Poor Deportee »

While I can’t see any reason (other than completism, a disease I have not yet caught) to pursue this album as a non-Spanish-speaker, I commend the whole venture. It’s a cool new take on the old, long-forgotten gambit of recycling pop music across linguistic borders: whether it be Tin Pan Alley writers reworking French tunes, or The Beatles being forced to re-record “She Loves You” and “I Want to Hold Your Hand” in German, LOL.

I hope this starts a trend and that we start to see Spanish- or French-language classic records “translated” into English in this way. Why not?

(Of course, a cynic could point out that what EC has really done here is figured out how to vigorously insert himself into foreign markets. God bless, I say).
When man has destroyed what he thinks he owns
I hope no living thing cries over his bones
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

The Gentleman wrote:I haven’t seen anything to indicate if the upcoming TYM remaster includes a remix of the entire original album but given the nature of the Spanish Model project, that would seem to make a lot of sense.

If nothing else, a remix would seem like a stronger marketing hook than “NOW WITH FEWER BONUS TRACKS!”
Agree that that would be a stronger selling-point for fans, sure. But yeah, it's definitely all been remixed.

'The inspired Spanish-language adaptations are set to the band’s classic studio performances, culled from the original master recordings, which have been newly mixed by Krys, revealing a new power and intensity to The Attractions’ 1978 instrumental performances'.
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

Here's a curio. I'd always been led to believe that Elvis wanted Mick Jones to play on 'Pump It Up' but that the Clash were wary of him being 'poached', so in the end, he only played on 'Big Tears'. But the Wikii news article for this LP (presumably written by Elvis himself or by Sebastian Krys) refers to 'Costello and Mick Jones of The Clash lock duelling rhythm guitars in a thrilling coda to 'Pump It Up'.

That's a new one on me. Typo/human error, or could it turn out that Mick did play on 'Pump It Up' after all?

PS I've also always assumed that's Mick jones with his head down on the 7" picture sleeve, yes?
krm

Post by krm »

Hawksmoor wrote: That's a new one on me. Typo/human error, or could it turn out that Mick did play on 'Pump It Up' after all?
This version of Pump it up was released as a b-side on the 12" of Only flame in town. So it is true!
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

krm wrote:
Hawksmoor wrote: That's a new one on me. Typo/human error, or could it turn out that Mick did play on 'Pump It Up' after all?
This version of Pump It Up was released as a b-side on the 12" of Only flame in town. So it is true!
This is exciting, I'd forgotten about the '1984 Dance Mix'. So what's the likeliest back-story here?
  • Elvis wants Mick to play on 'Pump It Up' and 'Big Tears' - so he does.
    Elvis then gets cold feet for whatever reason and Mick's guitar part is left off the standard 7" (and LP version) of 'Pump It Up'.
    'Pump It Up' is released but Mick is only credited on the rear of the sleeve, and therefore, only for 'Big Tears'.
    (And there's a tease on the front of the sleeve, where Mick is pictured but concealing his face).
    So...come 1984, they prepare the 'Dance mix' for the 12" of 'Only Flame', and at that point, Mick's guitar part is put back in?
    And now, in 2021, Sebastian Krys has also restored Mick's guitar part to the Spanish vocal single.
Phew. Complicated, but does the above sound about right?
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Hawksmoor wrote:Phew. Complicated, but does the above sound about right?
Don’t know. But I’ve been on tenterhooks :wink: :lol:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

Ah, that helps, thank-you. it does look like the Mick Jones guitar part was omitted from the original, put back in for the '1984 Dance Mix' and is also there (somewhere) on the Sebastian Krys remix which has just been released?
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I noticed a remastered version of This Year’s Model will accompany Spanish Model.

How many remasters does this make? :twisted: :lol:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

If the new remaster sounds as good as the Armed Forces 2020 remaster, I take it.
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

verbal gymnastics wrote:https://www.elviscostello.com/#!/news/299818

I noticed a remastered version of This Year’s Model will accompany Spanish Model.

How many remasters does this make? :twisted: :lol:
All up on the website now - prices in dollars despite me logging in from a UK address.

Vinyl This Year's Model (remastered with the original/replica sleeve) $25:98

CD This Year's Model (remastered with the original/replica sleeve) $13:98

CD Spanish Model (with the Spanish Model cover) $13:98

Vinyl Spanish Model (with the Spanish Model cover) $25:98

Vinyl This Year's Model/Spanish Model combined (with the Spanish Model cover) $35:98
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.sacurrent.com/sa-sound/arch ... h-model-lp

Nina Diaz of San Antonio's Girl in a Coma lends vocals to Elvis Costello's new Spanish Model LP

San Antonio singer Nina Diaz of Girl in a Coma fame is among the 19 Latin rock and pop performers who provided vocals for Elvis Costello's forthcoming reimagining of his 1978 album This Year's Model.

Diaz joined superstars including Juanes, Luis Fonsi and Fito Páez in adding lead vocals to backing tracks by Costello's band the Attractions for a Spanish-language version of the LP called Spanish Model. The release will include 16 songs, among them several outtakes from the original album.

Diaz sings "No Action," the bundle-of-nerves rocker that opened This Year's Model, an iconic release from the late-'70s punk era.

"I am beyond grateful to be part of this project and share space with all the amazing artists and of course the legendary Elvis Costello and the Attractions," Diaz told the Current via email.

The album, which drops September 10, will be sold both by itself and packaged with an expanded reissue of This Year's Model. It features 19 artists from 10 countries and territories. Diaz is one of several from the United States.

While Diaz's fans may have to wait for Spanish Model's street date to hear her take on "No Action," Costello teased the full release Tuesday with a video for Juanes' version of the slashing classic "Pump It Up."
And No Coffee Table

Target is selling a CD with three "exclusive" bonus songs, which probably means the three songs above.

https://www.target.com/p/various-artist ... eWwV8hsSi8
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

And No Coffee Table wrote:

Target is selling a CD with three "exclusive" bonus songs, which probably means the three songs above.

https://www.target.com/p/various-artist ... eWwV8hsSi8
Hmm. You're right that they're definitely included on the standard iTunes release, which is currently listed as £10:99 and not billing itself as a 'deluxe edition' or anything like that. Maybe Target's 'exclusive' scoop is that this is the only way you can get them on a CD? The Amazon listing for the CD doesn't include a tracklist, but if you squint at the picture provided (of the disc) it does appear to have only 16 tracks on it.