"La Face de Pendule à Coucou" EP (French versions of Hey Clockface songs)

Pretty self-explanatory
And No Coffee Table

"La Face de Pendule à Coucou" EP (French versions of Hey Clockface songs)

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Released March 26, 2021:

1. No Flag (Chanté) - Elvis Costello & Iggy Pop (3:56)
2. Revolution #49 (Parlé) - Elvis Costello & Isabelle Adjani (2:42)
3. Hetty O'Hara Confidential (Tshegue Remix) - Elvis Costello & Tshegue (2:48)
4. No Flag (Parlé) - Elvis Costello & Iggy Pop (3:50)
5. Revolution #49 (Chanté) - Elvis Costello, Isabelle Adjani & Steve Nieve (2:53)
6. Hetty O'Hara Confidentiel - Elvis Costello, Etta Somatis & AJUQ (4:14)

Based on the samples, I think "Etta Somatis" may be a pseudonym for Muriel Téodori.
fred darden

Re: "La Face de Pendule à Coucou" EP (French versions of Hey Clockface songs)

Post by fred darden »

Is this going to be a physical release or digital only? Anyone know?
JerseyPride78

Post by JerseyPride78 »

fred darden wrote:Is this going to be a physical release or digital only? Anyone know?
A google search doesn't come up with anything regarding a physical release. Not that this is definitive but one might expect a physical preorder to pop up if there was going to be one.
fred darden

Post by fred darden »

Thanks, I guess I could have googled it myself.
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

Nothing coming up on iTunes or Amazon as yet...

ETA...it is now coming up on iTunes, but only for New Zealand. Because of the time zones, have they already made it to the 26th? :D
cwr

Post by cwr »

A vinyl release out this summer from Concord Records!
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.elviscostello.com/#!/news/299682

THE FRENCH REVOLUTIONS CONTINUE: ELVIS COSTELLO’S ‘LA FACE DE PENDULE À COUCOU’ RELEASED MARCH 26TH, 2021: SIX FRANCOPHONE VERSIONS OF ‘HEY CLOCKFACE’ SONGS

Elvis Costello will release ‘La Face de Pendule à Coucou’, a six-track E.P. consisting of Francophone adaptations and re-mixes of songs from Costello's 2020 album 'Hey Clockface.'

The E.P. - which features contributions from Iggy Pop, Isabelle Adjani and Tshegue - will be released digitally on March 26th and on vinyl this summer by Concord Records.

Iggy Pop's acclaimed version of "No Flag" has already provided a preview of la malice of this collection, which also features a spoken-word rendition of "No Flag" in which Iggy's famous baritone is heard in dialogue with Costello's original vocal.

Isabelle Adjani and Steve Nieve contribute a new piano and voice rendition of "Revolution #49" on which Ms. Adjani improvises melodically in response to M. Nieve's "una corda" piano motif, providing a delicate contrast to her compelling recitation over the Serpent-led instrumental performance from ‘Hey Clockface’.

The French lyrical adaptation for both versions was made by Muriel Teodori and completed in consultation with Isabelle Adjani at the time of recording.

"Hetty O'Hara Confidential" - another of the "Helsinki Sound" recordings from ‘Hey Clockface’ - receives two very contrasting interpretations on ‘La Face de Pendule à Coucou.’

The first is a radical re-working by Tshegue - the Paris-based combination of the Franco-Cuban producer, Nicolas 'Dakou' Dacunha-Castelle and Kinshasa-born vocalist, Faty Sy Savanet.

Costello said, "When I heard Tshegue's single, "Muanapoto", it provided such a great jolt of energy that I thought they might have fun dismantling and re-assembling this rag doll of a song".

"Hetty O'Hara Confidentiel" also receives an entirely Francophone lyrical adaptation courtesy of Muriel Teodori and AJUQ. This rendition is led by the enigmatic presence of Etta Somatis, who shares the verses with AJUQ with brief interjections in the original language.

A new edition talking picture for “Hetty O’Hara Confidentiel" by Eamon Singer and Arlo McFurlow - featuring the voices of Etta Somatis, AJUQ et Elvis Costello - will also be released on March 26th, joining the previously released illustrated clips for "No Flag" - in both English and French - and another for the Isabelle Adjani's rendition of "Revolution #49."

In Rolling Stone, Iggy Pop explained the genesis of “No Flag (Chanté)” et “No Flag (Parlé)” saying “Nobody official asked for it. It was just Elvis and [his wife] Diana [Krall] asking, ‘Do you want to sing this in French?’ And I thought, ‘Well, the French will be a big chore. I can do that.’”

Costello said of working with Adjani, “When Steve Nieve’s partner, Muriel Teodori told me that she thought Isabelle Adjani might consider reading the French adaptation that Muriel had made of my original text, I assumed that I must be dreaming.”

‘La Face de Pendule à Coucou’ track listing:

No Flag (Chanté)
Elvis Costello enregistré à Suommenlinnan Studio, Helsinki par Eetu Seppälä avec assistant ingénieur Tim Mikkola Iggy Pop enregistré à Safe and Sound Mix Mobile, Miami par Luis Gomez

Revolution #49 (Parlé)
Elvis Costello et Steve Nieve et le Quintette Saint Germain enregistrés aux Studio Saint Germain, Paris par François Delabrière avec assistant ingénieur Bastien Lozier
Elvis Costello choral enregistré à Sentry Sound par Lens O’Toole
Isabelle Adjani enregistrée à Studio Pasteur par Steve Nieve

Hetty O’Hara Confidential (Tshegue Remix)
Elvis Costello enregistré à Suommenlinnan Studio, Helsinki par Eetu Seppälä avec assistant ingénieur Tim Mikkola Tshegue enregistré à Dakou Studios par Nicolas Dacunha-Castelle

No Flag (Parlé)
Elvis Costello enregistré à Suommenlinnan Studio, Helsinki par Eetu Seppälä avec assistant ingénieur Tim Mikkola Iggy Pop enregistré à Safe and Sound Mix Mobile, Miami par Luis Gomez

Revolution #49 (Chanté)
Isabelle Adjani et Steve Nieve enregistrés à Studio Pasteur par Steve Nieve

Hetty O’Hara Confidentiel
Elvis Costello enregistré à Suommenlinnan Studio, Helsinki par Eetu Seppälä avec assistant ingénieur Tim Mikkola Etta Somatis et AJUQ enregistrés à Trouville Sound par Steve Nieve
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
krm

Post by krm »

sweetest punch wrote:
The E.P. - which features contributions from Iggy Pop, Isabelle Adjani and Tshegue - will be released digitally on March 26th and on vinyl this summer by Concord Records.
interesting indeed - coloured vinyl maybe? How many versions?
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

My contribution from the Spanish TYM thread,Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:28 am :
Top balcony wrote:Sooo Last Year's Model.

"Hé Horloge" est à présent quoique dans acomptes....
Nostradamus
Last edited by Top balcony on Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pigalle

Post by Pigalle »

Special release for Record Store Day similar to Purse maybe?
Mikeh

Post by Mikeh »

Its all on Spotify
Arbogast

Post by Arbogast »

This is getting a bit "thin," isn't it? What next, a limited edition 7" of "No Flag" played backward?
Mr. Hush

Post by Mr. Hush »

Absolutely. Appreciating the tough times and that people have to make a living but all of this is kind of ruining the last 44 years. Loved the album though.
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

I have to say, I don't think it's 'thin' at all. I think it's new and exciting stuff. Experimental, challenging, interesting, and well worth a listen. I honestly don't know any other artist who, at 66, is still interested enough in music - or in their own music - to be even doing this. You want 'thin'? Imagine being a Paul Simon fan, for example. One LP every five years. No contact, no regular essays about each new release, no B-sides, no cover versions, no alternative versions, no remixes, nothing of any interest except...an LP every five years. For us, in the last year...

No Flag
We Are All Cowards Now
Hetty O'Hara
Hey Clockface LP
I Wish It Would Rain
What What 2020
Shut Him Down
Farewell So Long 2020
Armed Forces deluxe box-set (if you have that kind of money - I don't, but...)
Many, many contributions to Steve's podcasts
Maud's Gone Wrong
...and then add all the remixes or French versions of Clockface tracks

Compared with the fans of most artists of Elvis' generation, we are truly blessed to be fans of an artist who's still interested enough to be doing all this.
Ymaginatif

Post by Ymaginatif »

Hawksmoor wrote:I have to say, I don't think it's 'thin' at all. I think it's new and exciting stuff. Experimental, challenging, interesting, and well worth a listen. I honestly don't know any other artist who, at 66, is still interested enough in music - or in their own music - to be even doing this. You want 'thin'? Imagine being a Paul Simon fan, for example. One LP every five years. No contact, no regular essays about each new release, no B-sides, no cover versions, no alternative versions, no remixes, nothing of any interest except...an LP every five years. For us, in the last year...

No Flag
We Are All Cowards Now
Hetty O'Hara
Hey Clockface LP
I Wish It Would Rain
What What 2020
Shut Him Down
Farewell So Long 2020
Maud's Gone Wrong

Compared with the fans of most artists of Elvis' generation, we are truly blessed to be fans of an artist who's still interested enough to be doing all this.
I think 'thin', if you stick to the butter metaphor, implies that there is a lot of output ...

This project isn't Elvis'. It's an attempt to generate some income, particularly for the Nieve family.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Top balcony wrote:My contribution from the Spanish TYM thread,Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:28 am :
Top balcony wrote:Sooo Last Year's Model.

"Hé Horloge" est à présent quoique dans acomptes....
Nostradamus
But did you predict "Turning The Town Red" for Liverpool last year -- i think not." :lol: :lol:
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Ymaginatif wrote:
Hawksmoor wrote:I have to say, I don't think it's 'thin' at all. I think it's new and exciting stuff. Experimental, challenging, interesting, and well worth a listen. I honestly don't know any other artist who, at 66, is still interested enough in music - or in their own music - to be even doing this. You want 'thin'? Imagine being a Paul Simon fan, for example. One LP every five years. No contact, no regular essays about each new release, no B-sides, no cover versions, no alternative versions, no remixes, nothing of any interest except...an LP every five years. For us, in the last year...

No Flag
We Are All Cowards Now
Hetty O'Hara
Hey Clockface LP
I Wish It Would Rain
What What 2020
Shut Him Down
Farewell So Long 2020
Maud's Gone Wrong

I think 'thin', if you stick to the butter metaphor, implies that there is a lot of output ...

This project isn't Elvis'. It's an attempt to generate some income, particularly for the Nieve family.

Anyone genuinely begrudge Steve some income ?
No one's forcing yo to buy it after all!
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

sulky lad wrote:
Ymaginatif wrote:

No Flag
We Are All Cowards Now
Hetty O'Hara
Hey Clockface LP
I Wish It Would Rain
What What 2020
Shut Him Down
Farewell So Long 2020
Maud's Gone Wrong

No one's forcing you to buy it after all!
Fishfinger king

Post by Fishfinger king »

I tend to be midway between the two extreme responses we’ve seen to this. I think you can be both impressed with Elvis’s invention, songwriting and output at 66 and still appreciate that this is hardly essential. Having listened once I don’t think I’ll buy a physical version (unless very cheap - for completeness, you know). It’s sub-Wise Up Thought stuff really. I’d rather he just put out the new Imposters material.
Can't you see I'm trying to change this water to wine
Ymaginatif

Post by Ymaginatif »

sulky lad wrote:
Ymaginatif wrote:

No Flag
We Are All Cowards Now
Hetty O'Hara
Hey Clockface LP
I Wish It Would Rain
What What 2020
Shut Him Down
Farewell So Long 2020
Maud's Gone Wrong

Ah, that old chestnut :D No, I probably won't buy it. But refraining from purchasing doesn't protect me from irritation from being served half-baked to downright amateurish items on the menu. Steve can do so much better to generate income! And so, I keep telling myself, can Elvis.

Pardon my grumpiness. It usually goes away after a couple of days :D
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Ymaginatif wrote:
sulky lad wrote:
Ymaginatif wrote:

Ah, that old chestnut :D No, I probably won't buy it. But refraining from purchasing doesn't protect me from irritation from being served half-baked to downright amateurish items on the menu. Steve can do so much better to generate income! And so, I keep telling myself, can Elvis.

Pardon my grumpiness. It usually goes away after a couple of days :D

No need to apologise, I guess i'm just privileged to be still employed and earning over this pandemic and can feel sympathy ( in what sometimes feels like a condescending way) for those who suddenly have lost the simple human pleasure in being able to earn a living.
And lets' be honest,none of this will ever be essential Elvis stuff will it. In 5 years time I doubt if anyone on this forum will suddenly get a mad urge to play the E.P. if they've got the urge, I certainly have only played the Purse Ep or Wise Up Thought only the once! So probably my reaction was rubbish too - sorry folks:oops:
Hawksmoor

Post by Hawksmoor »

Ymaginatif wrote:
Hawksmoor wrote:I have to say, I don't think it's 'thin' at all. I think it's new and exciting stuff. Experimental, challenging, interesting, and well worth a listen. Compared with the fans of most artists of Elvis' generation, we are truly blessed to be fans of an artist who's still interested enough to be doing all this.

Well, I guess two things.

1. It's difficult to see how the project 'isn't Elvis' when there's a 600-word essay on his website all about the production of it (which certainly reads like it was actually written by Elvis).

2. I'm reminded of something I read - possibly in David Byrne's excellent book 'How Music Works'. However passionate you are about the music you like, and however keen you are on your favourite artists, every piece of popular music ever made is primarily there to get you to pay for it and to thereby make a profit for whoever made it. Pop music is always 'an attempt to generate some income'. That's the point of it. I'm pretty happy if, in this case, it's Steve and his family.
Ymaginatif wrote:No, I probably won't buy it. But refraining from purchasing doesn't protect me from irritation from being served half-baked to downright amateurish items on the menu. Steve can do so much better to generate income! And so, I keep telling myself, can Elvis.
But they are! They're both producing plenty of other stuff. Turn to page 2 of the menu!
Ymaginatif wrote:Pardon my grumpiness. It usually goes away after a couple of days :D
No apology necessary, none of this stuff actually matters. It's just nice to touch base. :)
cwr

Post by cwr »

I will chime in to say that I return to the Purse EP fairly often and like its 4 tracks as much as anything on Look Now or Hey Clockface.

I think the new EP is a fun curio but agree it will probably wind up in the same column as Wise Up Thought or The Sweetest Punch. I will buy the physical release bc it is my fun habit to buy new Costello records (and having it on my turntable will probably lead me to listen to it with fresh ears at least a time or two.)
Pigalle

Post by Pigalle »

Being released on 12” 45 RPM vinyl as part of Record Store Day Drop One on the 12th June
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.nme.com/news/music/record-s ... st-2915780

Here’s the full list of Record Store Day 2021 releases

DROP 1 – SATURDAY JUNE 12

(...)

Elvis Costello
La Face de Pendule a Coucou
Vinyl – 12″ 45rpm album
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.