What Next For Elvis after A Face In The Crowd ?

Pretty self-explanatory
sulky lad

What Next For Elvis after A Face In The Crowd ?

Post by sulky lad »

I've just been playing my blue vinyl "My Flame Burns Blue" and I'd kill to hear him do "big band " songs like "That's How You got Killed Before" in a similar idiom or some of the songs performed with The Confederates in 1987 including "Eisenhower Blues" - that never fails to make me smile and join in. Should be an easy enough project to get together, Diana must have loads of contacts and a big swing band upbeat album would be perfect in the post Covid19 climate - assuming there's anyone left to listen!
krm

Re: What Next For Elvis after A Face In The Crowd ?

Post by krm »

That one must wait until we have had (the long awaited) flamenco version of TYM
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

I'm still hoping i never hear the cumbia LITTLE TRIGGERS, the rhumba LIP SERVICE or the charanga NO ACTION. I've already got REI MOMO on cd, cassette and vinyl!!!
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

There are still a lot of Costello / Bacharach songs that are unrecorded at this moment: a few songs from the Painted From Memory musical ( http://www.elviscostellofans.com/phpBB3 ... f=2&t=9830 ) and the complete Austin Powers musical (http://www.elviscostellofans.com/phpBB3 ... f=2&t=9299 ).
I hope that he records these himself or that he produces a recording of these songs.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Fishfinger king

Post by Fishfinger king »

I think we’ll need a back to basics, crank it up album like Blood & Chocolate. Preferably recorded in ten days with Nick Lowe producing.
Can't you see I'm trying to change this water to wine
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Don't forget that EC was recording in Helsinki and Paris in February.

http://www.elviscostellofans.com/phpBB2 ... =2&t=11450
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Elvis is working on a new album!!

He told about two recent recording sessions (in Helsinki and in Paris) and about a planned - but now postponed - session in Abbey Road after the now canceled Birmingham concert) in Steve Nieve’s Daily Improvisations today: https://www.facebook.com/stevenieveoffi ... 902698299/

The recording session in Helsinki was Elvis solo.
The recording session in Paris was with Steve and some of his friends. They cut 9 songs.

They premiered a new song ‘Hey Clockface’ in this facebook concert.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Fishfinger king

Post by Fishfinger king »

Fishfinger king wrote:I think we’ll need a back to basics, crank it up album like Blood & Chocolate. Preferably recorded in ten days with Nick Lowe producing.
I was right!!!!
Can't you see I'm trying to change this water to wine
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

I am so gutted that apart from the far more important matter of people losing their lives, this virus has denied us a new Elvis/Nick Lowe album! Grraaaargh!!! It would've been in the can by now!
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Fishfinger king wrote:
Fishfinger king wrote:I think we’ll need a back to basics, crank it up album like Blood & Chocolate. Preferably recorded in ten days with Nick Lowe producing.
I was right!!!!
Great prediction - though I doubt it'll sound much like B&C if the new song is anything to go by !
I still claim the eminence as premier predictor though for "Strict Time" as opening song on the U.K. tour and more importantly, the performance of "Turning the Town Red" at the Liverpool gig !
"I rest mycase, m'lud!"
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Fishfinger king wrote:
I was right!!!!
I think the jury is still out - we don’t know if it is a crank it up album or if Nick Lowe is actually producing. What you think we need and what we’ll actually get are 2 different things :lol:

And as for sulky being the eminent predictor - :roll:

:lol:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Dr. Luther

Post by Dr. Luther »

Given Nick Lowe's tendencies towards studio recordings these last many years, I would seriously doubt a "rave up" theme.

A Costello album, with a Nick Lowe approach similar to (say) "Dig My Mood", could be a theoretical marvel.
krm

Post by krm »

Neil. wrote:I am so gutted that apart from the far more important matter of people losing their lives, this virus has denied us a new Elvis/Nick Lowe album! Grraaaargh!!! It would've been in the can by now!
From what I understood, Sebastian Krys was going to fly in for the session but with the travelrestrictions he couldn´t make it. Then EC gave his old friend a call.... so it was never intended to be anything else than a S.Krys production. That is how I heard it.
But then again, it never happened .....and we have something to look forward to. That is something.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

bronxapostle wrote:I'm still hoping i never hear the cumbia LITTLE TRIGGERS, the rhumba LIP SERVICE or the charanga NO ACTION. I've already got REI MOMO on cd, cassette and vinyl!!!
I'm hoping there's a live performance in NY and that you'll be there for it, BA :wink:
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

According to his manager Sam Feldman, Elvis is working on 5 projects: https://celebrityaccess.com/2020/04/17/ ... m-feldman/

Interview Sam Feldman

(...)
I can’t imagine James Taylor nor Elvis Costello not making music.

Impossible. Impossible. Elvis Costello probably has 5 projects going on right now. Even Sarah McLachlan, who is very family-oriented, is writing music all of the time and going out on many tours. I don’t see anyone stopping.

(Steve Nieve’s Easter Sunday’s webcast “The Daily Improvisation” featured a surprise half-hour appearance by Costello who joined his keyboard player for several remote collaborations including a new song “Hey Clockface.” Costello mentioned going into a Paris recording studio in February to record 9 songs with a group of local musicians Nieve had assembled; tracks he hopes to release soon if he can get back into a studio to mix them. Moreover, Costello said he had time booked at Abbey Road in London before the halt of business in the UK put a stop to his European tour as well as the recording dates.)

(...)
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.elviscostello.com/#!/news/299150

THIS IS ONE OF THE FIRST BURT BACHARACH SONGS THAT REALLY HIT HOME WITH ME AS A KID AND IT WAS ONE THE ATTRACTIONS AND I SLIPPED INTO THE FURIOUS AND NOT OVERLY FANCY SETS OF 1977.

(...)
Since writing "God Give Me Strength" together in 1995, Burt and I have written a song for every one of the years since, including the album "Painted From Memory" to which we added another ten songs for a stage musical adaptation of that album, several of which featured on the 2018 album release, "Look Now" and the remainder of which we hope to bring to you before too very long. It is typical of Burt's approach to music and life that we should be discussing our next possible recording session, just as the world was being locked inside.
(...)
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.elviscostellofans.com/phpBB3 ... =2&t=11654
And No Coffee Table wrote:From Mojo:

But mostly he’s been busy working. Really busy. “It’s obvious that not everybody fares well with isolation,” he says, but clearly he’s not among them: “I’ve written four scripts and I’m hard at work on a huge stack of songs” – a couple of them for a collaboration with Tommy McLain, the now-80-year-old Louisiana singer who did the version of Sweet Dreams that Costello covered on 1981’s Almost Blue. There’s another project with New York’s Metropolitan Museum of Art, and the upcoming Armed Forces box set reissue he’s been overseeing and for which he’s writing a new set of notes. But the pièce de résistance is a brand new album, his 31st, the 14-song Hey Clockface.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Is my wishful thinking getting out of hand, or has EC dropped several hints that he and the Imposters have been recording remotely?

From Variety: "Although he skipped over recording with his band the Imposters on 'Hey Clockface,' he emphasizes his love for that unit as 'a functioning group in the right now — and I mean, right now — that's doing stuff that will blow people's minds when they hear it.'"

On Tom Robinson's radio show (at 53:15) he says of Pete and Steve: "We are recording together to this day."

On Paul Myers' podcast at 52:40 he says "recently I was working on a new song with Davey."

Then at 1:27:40 he speaks of unidentified "good colleagues": "We are already sharing our ideas and trying to be as daredevil as we can be as we play in our various spaces and look to making records for next year. I mean this record is now, another one will be next year. We have some great surprises around this corner. It won't be very long until we're all together again, but we can't put a date on that right now, so my response to that is we should play as much as we can and kick up as much ruckus as we can until it's time to be together."
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

I was thinking the same thing a few weeks back: On Steve’s Immobile Tour Elvis mentions the work they were doing together (and urges Steve to not elaborate about this)!
cwr

Post by cwr »

Oooh... I would be very excited to hear what EC & The Imposters would come up with in the current unusual circumstances. I was thinking we would have to wait until they could get back into a room together but the idea that 2021 could bring us a new Imposters LP makes me hopeful!
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Elvis has the capabilities to work on multiple projects at any given time.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Miclewis

Post by Miclewis »

With the success of the Helsinki tracks, I would love Elvis to do a solo studio album; like Paul McCartney is doing again with McCartney III.

Of course, I always have hoped for a solo acoustic album as well - just Elvis and a guitar. Even if it is just covers - I Wish It Would Rain is amazing.
cwr

Post by cwr »

And No Coffee Table wrote:Is my wishful thinking getting out of hand, or has EC dropped several hints that he and the Imposters have been recording remotely?

From Variety: "Although he skipped over recording with his band the Imposters on 'Hey Clockface,' he emphasizes his love for that unit as 'a functioning group in the right now — and I mean, right now — that's doing stuff that will blow people's minds when they hear it.'"
Today during his Instagram Live interview with the Washington Post, EC was talking about the Imposters' Abbey Road sessions that almost happened with Nick Lowe producing. He said that the songs they were gonna do then would not have been intended for what Hey Clockface became, that they were their own separate batch of songs.

He then said that he thinks that he may still end up working with Nick producing when the pandemic is over but that if that happens it would be with a different group of songs. He then said, cryptically, that those songs were "gone now."

I could be wrong about this but he *seemed* to be looking for a way to avoid directly saying that he has already recorded those songs at some point since lockdown began! I can't imagine that he simply threw away those songs, never to record them, so I think "those songs are gone now" was him saying that he found a way to record them since the cancelled Abbey Road sessions. I think there is a new EC & The Imposters LP in the can and we are gonna find out about it before too long...
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

cwr wrote:
And No Coffee Table wrote:Is my wishful thinking getting out of hand, or has EC dropped several hints that he and the Imposters have been recording remotely?

Today during his Instagram Live interview with the Washington Post, EC was talking about the Imposters' Abbey Road sessions that almost happened with Nick Lowe producing. He said that the songs they were gonna do then would not have been intended for what Hey Clockface became, that they were their own separate batch of songs.

He then said that he thinks that he may still end up working with Nick producing when the pandemic is over but that if that happens it would be with a different group of songs. He then said, cryptically, that those songs were "gone now."

I could be wrong about this but he *seemed* to be looking for a way to avoid directly saying that he has already recorded those songs at some point since lockdown began! I can't imagine that he simply threw away those songs, never to record them, so I think "those songs are gone now" was him saying that he found a way to record them since the cancelled Abbey Road sessions. I think there is a new EC & The Imposters LP in the can and we are gonna find out about it before too long...
Hear The Washinghton Post interview here: http://www.elviscostellofans.com/phpBB3 ... =2&t=11713 .
At 38:00 Elvis talks - with a mysterious smile - about these Abbey Road songs as “being gone, but not put aside”!!