Steve Nieve - The Immobile Tour BackStage

Pretty self-explanatory
sweetest punch

Re: Steve Nieve - The Immobile Tour BackStage

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

Arbogast wrote:I'm a bit unclear on the availability of SN's Immobile Tour broadcasts these days? Where can I see them? Are they on You Tube? If not, why not?
The Immobile Tour and Immobile Tour Backstage are available on Facebook and Instagram. I am not aware that they have ever been on YouTube. FaceBook was the platform that Steve used at the start of lockdown and AJUQ films separately for his Instagram account. AJUQ and Muriel broadcast using mobile phones logged onto FB or Instagram and streaming in real time. The limit on the number of feeds that can be live at any one time is the number of phones Muriel and AJUQ can hold at one time. AJUQ drums and sings, so when he cannot film for Instagram, Muriel does so, using his phone.

After each show, the video is archived on FB and Instagram (and sometimes edited, where there was a break in connection).

You can find links to the previous shows and setlists here:

The Daily Improvisation

and here:

The Immobile Tour

Parts of recent shows are available only to subscribers to the Immobile Tour backstage. Subscription details are on Steve's website - choose either monthly or annual subscription and join "the friends" on Sundays.

sweetest punch wrote: I think Elvis is talking about The Public Theatre: http://www.elviscostellofans.com/phpBB3 ... =2&t=11528.
The gala was planned to take place on June 1, but is postponed to October 20: https://publictheater.org/support-us/ev ... event2020/
Thanks for the clarification SP. That makes more sense. I had forgotten he had this show coming up (probably because it is not on the concert schedule on the Wiki). I will fix that.

MOOT
sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

Arbogast wrote:I'm a bit unclear on the availability of SN's Immobile Tour broadcasts these days? Where can I see them? Are they on You Tube? If not, why not?
You need to join them via Patroen it costs $10 a month or something like that. Muriel messaged me to say I hadnt joined yet. But 9pm on a sunday night isnt the best time for me. I will sort it out eventually but I have other more pressing matters at the moment.
Arbogast

Post by Arbogast »

NA
Last edited by Arbogast on Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Arbogast wrote:Oh, so....during a pandemic with near-record unemployment levels and people struggling to pay their bills, SN has decided to start charging people for the full experience. Got it.
The Instagram thing is free isn't it ? I don't feel the need to watch it live and sometimes it seems easier when it's the wee hours of the night and I'm not boring anyone else in the household :wink:
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

Arbogast wrote:Oh, so....during a pandemic with near-record unemployment levels and people struggling to pay their bills, SN has decided to start charging people for the full experience. Got it.
" near-record unemployment levels and people struggling to pay their bills..." - yep indeed he's a professional musician who's principal income stream has been disappeared by COVID-19.

Steve is entitled to our eternal gratitude for uploading, with the assistance of Muriel etc, 60 completely free 'concerts' , methinks he rather than EC deserves the mantle of 'hardest working musician in lockdown'.

Unreasonable to expect him to do this forever, he's not Oxfam. Perhaps you expect Elvis to give away all copies of Clockface free gratis?
Lester Burnham

Post by Lester Burnham »

This is a bad take. A very bad take. He provided free entertainment for most of the pandemic, until it was no longer economically feasible to do so. By that time, he'd already amassed quite a following, many of which were thrilled to pay the premium to view his performances. He's been hit by this unemployment and is also likely to be struggling to pay his bills; he's not a rich man, he's not like the Stones or whomever who can just sit on their asses all day and watch the money roll in. He's a musician, and he needs to perform to make money. You certainly wouldn't do your job for free, would you??
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Some people are chronic complainers....I'd say ignore this mess and maybe it will go away. However, i have been waiting and waiting..... :evil: :evil: and it is still here. Some of us are prone to occassionally being grouchy, I'll cop to that one myself here and there. But, the downhearted nature and incessant rudeness grows tiresone, especially when it's endless. :roll: i was just saying Sunday, THIS IS THE BEST $80 I HAVE SPENT ALL YEAR! Thanks to Steve, Ajuq & Muriel for this respite.
Arbogast

Post by Arbogast »

Top Balc, Lester, BA...

You're right. My bad. I was/am, in fact, grouched up and it got the better of me. Steve has done yeoman's work bringing these performances to us. I'm very grateful.

Arbo
Man out of Time

There was a Halloween show last night (October 31). Subscribers to the Immobile Tour Backstage, can watch again here:

Facebook - The Immobile Tour Backstage

This was the setlist:
  1. So Like Candy / Halloween film soundtrack "mashup"
  2. I Put A Spell On You
  3. Zombie
  4. Halloween (Bonfire Night)
  5. Sympathy For The Devil
  6. The Man Comes Around
  7. ?? - AJUQ sang this in French and I could not make out the title - any offers?
  8. Thriller
  9. Creep
  10. I Want Candy
  11. Complicated Shadows
There were several vinyl copies of Hey Clockface arranged around the "salon" which is both reassuring - they do exist, but also frustrating, in that they are clearly not in wide circulation yet.

MOOT
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.facebook.com/stevenieveoffi ... 6857307242

Sunday 8th, 9pm UK time, going live on this page to begin, and concluding on the Immobile Tour Backstage with some great stories, with my friends “My Darling Clementine”, their latest recording “Country Darkness Volume Three” is out this week, and we want to share with you. Live from Manchester and Trouville Sur Mer.. simultaneously...

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Man out of Time

So there was another webcast last night (November 15), in the ongoing series that is the Immobile Tour Backstage. The theme was "Confidence and Doubt". AJUQ was in Paris, so it was just Steve and Muriel in Trouville.

Then Elvis dialled in, unannounced, apparently in Vancouver, but inside rather than on the porch. He played two songs at the piano (Diana's?) then dashed to catch a ferry.

Here is the full setlist:

01. Sense Of Doubt (Bowie) / Remove This Doubt (The Supremes) - Steve
02. I Want To Vanish - Steve
'''EC rings in'''
03. Still Too Soon To Know - Elvis
04. I Just Don't Know What To Do With Myself - Elvis
'''EC rings off'''
05. Head Full of Doubt, Road Full of Promise (The Avett Brothers)- Steve
06. Free Will And Testament (Robert Wyatt) - Steve
07. Downtown Train (Tom Waits)- Steve
08. When I'm 64 (The Beatles) - Muriel and Steve
09. Poor Fractured Atlas - Steve and Muriel
10. Beyond Belief- Steve and Muriel
11. Confident Again (from Mumu)- Steve and Muriel
12. Losing My Religion (REM) - Steve

https://www.facebook.com/stevenieve/vid ... 0580607779

Next week (22 November) Steve will be joined by Alex Cornish (who has toured with Steve before).

MOOT
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Man out of Time

So last night's webcast on The Immobile Tour, was a Hey Clockface special. Steve and AJUQ (and Muriel) were joined/interrupted by Elvis for one song. The show saw live premieres of most of Hey Clockface. In most cases it was AJUQ singing and Steve playing on piano, but we did get a brief bit of percussion too.

If you do FB you can watch again here: Steve Nieve official.

The selist was:
  1. Introductory instrumental (anyone know the title?)
  2. I Can't Say Her Name - AJUQ vocal, Muriel and Steve harmonies
  3. No Flag - AJUQ vocal
  4. They're Not Laughing At Me Now - AJUQ vocal
  5. Hetty O'Hara Confidential - AJUQ and Muriel vocals
  6. What Is It That I Need That I Don't Already Have? - AJUQ vocal
  7. I Do (Zula's Song) - AJUQ vocal
  8. The Last Confession Of Vivian Whip - Steve vocal
  9. The Whirlwind - AJUQ vocal, interrupted by
    Elvis joining from Vancouver
  10. Hey Clockface / How Can You Face Me? - EC vocal
    Elvis leaves
  11. Hetty O'Hara Confidential outtake version - EC vocal
  12. The Whirlwind (reprise) - AJUQ vocal
  13. Byline - AJUQ vocal
  14. Hey Clockface - instrumental
In amongst all this, there were some very fine vocal performances by AJUQ. It also gives a good sense of how some of these songs might work live. Whether they become simple piano/vocal songs or have bass/percussion added time will tell.

Steve and Muriel also shared some photos from Le Studio Saint Germain, back in February before the Paris sessions that feature on Hey Clockface. Steve had a lot of photos of keyboards. Muriel had some photos of people at work recording.

Elvis was indoors, presumably because conditions on the porch in Vancouver are now too cold to be comfortable. He mentioned that he has a "surprise" coming on December 3. This may be a remix of a track from Hey Clockface. He also shared a recording he made of Hetty O'Hara Confidential - an "outtake" from Le Studio Saint Germain sessions. It was a vocal recorded on an aircraft in flight, and played back on a portable speaker, so the quality was not great. It may reappear on a box set, 40 years hence, if not sooner.

MOOT
Brodsky

Post by Brodsky »

Great show. It unexpectedly popped up on my Facebook feed and I watched it, of course. I haven’t had a chance to subscribe to The Immobile Tour Backstage, so I was pleasantly surprised.

BTW, “Hey Clockface” really works well as an instrumental.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Man out of Time wrote:He also shared a recording he made of Hetty O'Hara Confidential - an "outtake" from Le Studio Saint Germain sessions. It was a vocal recorded on an aircraft in flight, and played back on a portable speaker, so the quality was not great. It may reappear on a box set, 40 years hence, if not sooner.
Was that really "Hetty O'Hara Confidential"? I could only make out a few words, but they didn't seem related to that song. He described it as a link track meant to follow "I Do (Zula's Song)."
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

All i heard was awful distortion....noise fest!!
And No Coffee Table

bronxapostle wrote:All i heard was awful distortion....noise fest!!
There's one relatively lengthy passage I think I can make out:

"...but to my dismay I can't go on after what you've done
There are two words that sound just like pray
But I'm not going to tell you which one..."
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

And No Coffee Table wrote:

you ALWAYS are the king of deciphering the VERY muddied!! MY HERO in all things LIVE snippet, now and forever: NUNKI!!!!

surely you had to listen and relisten....do you know how to put the segment here please?
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

https://www.facebook.com/events/2294384 ... D%5D%22%7D

Dear Friends,

Here in France we have a curfew at 8pm even on the 31st of December. All of you, in other parts of the world, you might have confinement or the advice to stay home. Fine. How about we all get together to see in the new year, with music, sharing our resolutions, a party around the countdown to 2021? We propose to see in the new year twice, in France and in the UK. So from 10pm to 15 past midnight UK time, our living room is your party room, and our friends are your friends. Lo Res Evening.
The ticket will be €16.99 but a discount will be applied for tickets purchased prior to December 28th so advance price is €10.99. There will also be an access via zoom, the code will be emailed to ticket holders 1 hour before the show starts.

migdd

Post by migdd »

sweetest punch wrote:https://www.facebook.com/events/2294384 ... D%5D%22%7D

Dear Friends,

Here in France we have a curfew at 8pm even on the 31st of December. All of you, in other parts of the world, you might have confinement or the advice to stay home. Fine. How about we all get together to see in the new year, with music, sharing our resolutions, a party around the countdown to 2021? We propose to see in the new year twice, in France and in the UK. So from 10pm to 15 past midnight UK time, our living room is your party room, and our friends are your friends. Lo Res Evening.
The ticket will be €16.99 but a discount will be applied for tickets purchased prior to December 28th so advance price is €10.99. There will also be an access via zoom, the code will be emailed to ticket holders 1 hour before the show starts.

Might we expect a virtual EC and the Imposters performance?
And No Coffee Table

And No Coffee Table wrote:

It turns out this song is "Farewell, OK"!
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Elvis called in and played This Year’s Girl/Out Of Time, Farewell OK and a Tom Waits cover.
He said that there would be a new release in two weeks (a song in French).
And the first single from Spanish Model will be This Year’s Girl - also coming soon.
And No Coffee Table

The Tom Waits cover was "Time." There was also a video of EC singing "What Are You Doing New Year's Eve?" earlier in the show.
Man out of Time

Anyone who missed the show last night, or who wants to enjoy it again, may find this setlist useful. The show may be available to view again here.

01. This Will Be Our Year (The Zombies) - Steve, AJUQ & Muriel
02. Sinister In A State Of Hope (Loney Dear) - Steve & AJUQ
Chris Difford greeting (pre-recorded)
03. Parents (Chris Difford) - Steve & AJUQ
Alex Cornish greeting (pre-recorded)
04. Wake Me Up When September Ends (Green Day)- Steve & AJUQ
05. What Are You Doing New Year's Eve? (The Orioles) - EC (pre-recorded)
06. Next Year (Foo Fighters) - Steve & AJUQ
07. Amazing Grace (John Newton) - Cali (pre-recorded) with Steve, AJUQ & Muriel
08. The Final Countdown (Europe) - Steve & AJUQ to backing track (leading to midnight in France)
09. What A Wonderful World (Louis Armstrong) - Steve, AJUQ & Muriel
10. Happy Together (The Turtles) - Steve, AJUQ & Muriel
11. Let's Start The New Year Right (Bing Crosby) - Steve
12. Mexico - Sophie Auster to backing track (via video link)
13. Baby What You Want Me to Do (Jimmy Reed) - Davey Faragher (bass & vocals) & Charlie Faragher (drums) (pre-recorded) with Steve
14. Hold That Critter Down (Roy Rogers) - Pete Thomas (guitar & vocals) (pre-recorded) with Steve & AJUQ
15. Roads - Steve
16. Tous Les Jours - Steve & AJUQ
17. Believe (Cher) - Steve & AJUQ
EC rings in
18. This Year's Girl - EC & Steve
19. Out Of Time (The Rolling Stones) - EC & Steve
20. Farewell, OK 2020 - EC & Steve
EC rings off
21. The Final Countdown (Europe) - Steve & AJUQ to backing track (prior to midnight in the UK)
22. Carnival - Steve
EC rings in again
23. Time (Tom Waits)- EC & Steve
EC rings off again
24. Midnight Chorus - Kathryn Williams (via video link) with Steve & AJUQ
25. Hungry Heart (Bruce Springsteen) - Steve & AJUQ
26. Indoor Fireworks - Steve & Muriel
27. Dancing Queen (ABBA) - Glenn Tilbrook (guitar & vocals) (pre-recorded) with Steve & AJUQ
28. Downtown Train (Tom Waits)- Steve & AJUQ
Benmont Tench greeting (pre-recorded)
29. Heroes (David Bowie)- Steve & AJUQ
30. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding? (Nick Lowe) - Steve, AJUQ & Muriel
31. instrumental (J.S. Bach) - Steve & AJUQ

There was a Zoom call at the end of the show, and participants were able to join in with PLU. It was great to share this show with so many friends.

MOOT