Armed Forces Survivor - Round 1

Pretty self-explanatory
kosi559

Post by kosi559 »

Hello everyone and welcome to another album of Album Survivor. The album you chose is Armed Forces. This is the third studio album from Elvis Costello and the second with The Attractions. This album saw the band develop a more pop-oriented and less raw sound than This Year's Model. This album was originally titled Emotional Fascism, and it makes sense because many songs on here are political and tackled events of 1979. The critique of the the socioeconomic components of war in Oliver's Army and likely Goon Squad, the song inspired by the rise of The National Front in Green Shirt, the critique of humanity in general in Busy Bodies, and many other examples show how topical this album was on society at large in 1979. This album also gave us Oliver's Army, Elvis's highest charting single standing right next to Heart of Glass (happy birthday Debbie) on the charts. It would later become an MTV staple and is one of Elvis's most iconic songs. This album received acclaim from critics and sold well, peaking at number 2 and number 10 on the UK album charts and US album charts respectively.

This entire album survivor will be done on strawpoll.com, and once we have done all of his albums from the first ten years, we will go back to This Year's Model, because I am sure that cheating was involved in that Survivor.

VOTE A SONG OUT HERE
https://strawpoll.com/ero8q5evz

SONGS IN

SIDE ONE

Accidents Never Happen

Senior Service

Oliver's Army

Big Boys

Green Shirt

Party Girl

SIDE TWO

Goon Squad

Busy Bodies

Sunday's Best

Moods for Moderns

Chemistry Class

Two Little Hitlers

(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding
"Can't you see? My band is up there."
verbal gymnastics

Re: Armed Forces Survivor - Round 1

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Accidents never happen... :lol:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
WindUpWorld

Post by WindUpWorld »

I beg to differ, as one who f's up a lot of time
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

I had no hesitation in voting out my first one! Not gonna say what it was, though. Not that I'd have any influence anyway...
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

I understand that if PL&U wins, the runner-up will also be included in the final Survivor?
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

I'm not voting for Goon Squad ever because of the connection with a certain forum member and because the Hammers scored a great winner against Chelski last night - how I cheered ! :wink: :D
kosi559

Post by kosi559 »

invisible Pole wrote:I understand that if PL&U wins, the runner-up will also be included in the final Survivor?
Exactly
"Can't you see? My band is up there."