Chords, anyone?

Pretty self-explanatory
Neil.

Chords, anyone?

Post by Neil. »

Hi all - I know I ask this every so often, but some new people may've joined who might be able to help out.

Does anyone know the chords to "You Turned To Me", "I'm In The Mood Again" and "Fallen" from the album North?

Fingers crossed - ain't had much success so far!

Neil
Turquoise Pajamas Pt Deux

Post by Turquoise Pajamas Pt Deux »

I feel your pain! If someone has even a roughed out idea for any and all of the songs, I'd love to see it! I got about 12 bars into "When It Sings" and threw in the towel. It starts off with a "D" chord I reckon.....then "D/C#", "Bm7" and I can't remember anything else......not that this was much help either :) Anyone got piano skills out there?
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Just simple, thereabouts chords would be fine. I think I'm in the mood again is pretty straightforward - based around DGA - up until the bit "I don't know what's come over me"...

Anyway, any help would be gratefully received!

Neil

Try screwing around with diminished chords (for the "I don't know what's come over me part). I did a little and if I put in more effort I just might get somewhere with it as it seems to fit in somewhere, somehow.
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

I was surprised that North never had sheet music published for it (hell, Painted From Memory did). I keep meaning to sit down and take notes, but I haven't. Perhaps this will be the year.

Rock on Wardo. I contacted someone in Elvis' management (by way of Deutsche Grammaphon) about this and got basically a "Thank you for your comments. We will look into this" line of BS. I have "Brutal Youth" and "Spike" songbooks, but the one album that best lends itself to a songbook is without. Who the hell knows...
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

Interesting, Turquoise PJs. I would assume his management is tied pretty close to his publishing, since he owns it, yes?

I know North was written on the piano, but that doesn't mean it can't be transcribed to guitar; just that it will be a challenge. Oh well. Rome wasn't burnt down in a day.

Naturally it can be transcribed to guitar, but somehow it just might not sound the same ;) It might be kind of interesting to hear on guitar now that I think of it; kind of a "Baby Plays Around" simplicity.

In terms of the non publication of the music in printed form, I suppose they felt that no coin was to be made in distributing this. I could understand that in the day of hard copies of sheet music. But given we are in the digital age, it seems like it would be fairly easy money to let us pay the $5/song and let us absorb the costs of printing. Damn it Elvis, how hard can this be? Hmmmm??
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

There used to be a few people on the Mark Schnitzius/John Everingham site who used to be great at working out even the trickiest stuff - they were always getting their chords posted on that site. Tried emailing one of them - Christian Korbanka, his name was - bit didn't get anywhere!!! :cry:
anjabro

Post by anjabro »

OK, here's a stab at 'You turned to me'...

The main run which is the intro is...

Baug
Aaug
Gm
Fm
Em
Dm
C

You turned to (F)me

And (G)all at once

I (G7)knew I was be(C)trayed

My eyes met (F)yours just down

the (G)darkened path

Where (Fm)both of us had (Am)strayed

Nothing good can come (Bb)out of this

(C)I know it may not be

(Main run)
But just then you turned to me

(Cm)And I thought for a moment

Like the (Bb)fool that I've become

(Bbm)I might be the one

(Ab)To turn these lights back on

(A)Just as I began to say

It's (Eb) never worth the price you pay

I was going there anyway...(G sus4....G)

(Nothing different in the rest of the song...)

Baug = xx9887
Aaug = xx7665

I gave those chords a test drive and they're pretty on target it seems. A couple spots that seem slightly off would be the "Gm" in the opening run and the "Eb" in the "Never worth the price you pay" which seems like something else should follow. I'll see if I can figure out what those "somethings" are, although I don't know how successful I'll be. Nice work though. I'll give you an A- :wink:
anjabro

Post by anjabro »

A- is about right I think...

The missing bits that you mention...

During the whole of the intro run,SN is playing a very gentle droning C behind every chord...Fine for the piano player who has a C just sitting there;We have to make our own, which I found a bit tricky over those chords....anyway, that's what the missing sound is on that bit...

On the Eb bit, he seems to be playing the melody line over it, which is a bit tricky, but you can play the little bass bit by moving your little finger over to the E string (assuming you're playing Eb as x65343)...

I'll try and do a rough recording of it for those who have trouble translating from piano to guitar...Then I'll move onto the other songs...
anjabro

Post by anjabro »

Ok, A very rough recording it is....I only had my electric to hand, so it's a bit twangy, and I think I got the structure wrong for the last chorus, but it should give you an idea...

http://www.geocities.com/anjabro33

...click on 'You turned to me' to download it..

I've mixed the melody hard right so you can filter it out if you just want to hear the chords...
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Wow, that's quick work! Thanks very much - I'll give those chords a whirl as soon as I get a mo ! You are officially ace.

Cheers,

Neil
anjabro

Post by anjabro »

Neil. wrote: You are officially ace.
Lovely, I was strangely overlooked in the New Years Honours list, so that makes up for it... :lol:
Neil.

Fantastic

Post by Neil. »

Had chance to give it a whirel, and those chords seem pretty darn good to me. Thanks so much for that! Anyone got In The Mood Again sorted?

Cheers,

Neil
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

One of my saddest losses in the deluge of '05 was my entire collection of sheet music portfolios. From EC alone I lost: Spike, Brutal Youth, Singing Dictionary, the Grumbling Appendix to the Singing Dictionary, The Best of EC and Painted From Memory. :cry: