2014 Wednesday Oct 29th LONDON, ENGLAND, Royal Albert Hall

Pretty self-explanatory
Man out of Time

Re: 2014 Wednesday Oct 29th LONDON, ENGLAND, Royal Albert Ha

Post by Man out of Time »

The Times' review from 31 October 2014, transcribed in full from a clipping posted to the Wiki

"Elvis Costello
Albert Hall
----
Stephen Dalton
----
2 stars

Becoming an annual fixture in the rock calendar, Elvis Costello’s latest visit to the Royal Albert Hall came under the umbrella of BluesFest, a week-long gathering of rootsy artists including Van Morrison, Robert Cray and Sheryl Crow. In both 2012 and 2013, Costello filled the same venue with his Spectacular Spinning Songbook show, a riotous music-hall carnival of pure showmanship, but this latest performance was looser in format and much of it was solo and acoustic.

Snappily dressed in a three-piece suit, Panama hat and jazzy red shoes, the 60-year-old singer opened and closed with two blocks of songs featuring his regular live collaborator former Attractions pianist Steve Nieve. Accidents Will Happen was the pleasingly punchy opener, though Costello’s verbose lyrics and meandering, melismatic vocal mannerisms soon began to grate during (I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea and London's Brilliant Parade. His croaky vibrato fell flat several times during this set, wandering not just off-key but offstage and round the block.

Sharing droll asides and warm anecdotes about his wife Diana Krall and his father Ross MacManus. Costello’s default setting is midlife contentment nowadays, but he still summoned some of his old punk bite on the bitter 45 and the regally disdainful The Comedians. His plaintive jazz ballad Almost Blue, conceived as a Chet Baker pastiche and later covered by Baker himself, also sounded sublimely tender, but his Mississippi bluesman schtick on Mose Allison’s Everybody's Crying Mercy, accompanied on piano by opening act, Georgie Fame, was less convincing.

Gathering momentum for an agreeably irreverent closing statement, Costello looped Watching the Detectives into an endless Moebius strip of clanging, twanging noise using his guitar effects pedals, then left if playing as he left the stage. Encore versions of Shipbuilding, a rollicking Oliver's Army and the obligatory blast through Nick Lowe’s (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding? followed, providing the set with some much-needed emotional uplift. Sprawling and uneven, this was not a vintage Costello show. "

I have to say I agree with Mr Dalton. Not a classic. Whether it was the venue, the audience (considerably older and more well-off than usual), it being the end of a long tour, the emotion of being back in London - whatever, it was far from the standard I have come to expect.

There was a new verse for "Chelsea" however, including a reference to Victoria Coach Station which was interesting. If anyone has a recording, perhaps they could help transcribe it and add it to the Wiki?

Hopeful for the next show...

MOOT
FrankieJ

Re: 2014 Wednesday Oct 29th LONDON, ENGLAND, Royal Albert Ha

Post by FrankieJ »

Am I the only one who LIKES Elvis Costello when he is raw and not sounding like some over rehearsed, manufactured jukebox? I really loved the show regardless of the "flaws". I like the flaws. Elvis has plenty of those and without them he wouldn't have been able to write and perform all the wonderful songs he has done. I'd take raw over perfect any day.

I'm just really grateful to be able to still see the man live and that he still chooses to tour. He doesn't need to, but he does, and I'm going to grab the opportunity when he performs in London every single time regardless. So many legendary musician's egos blow up so big they feel the UK isn't a market that's worthy enough for them any more. I used to be a big fan of Paul McCartney and, though he does play UK dates, they are very few and far between compared to how many tour dates he does over and over and over in the states and in South America. I like that Elvis still bothers with us here in the UK and can go and do theatres and beautiful venues that aren't horrible arenas or stadiums. I like that he remembers where home is and his roots. I like that he plays "deep" songs and isn't perfect and doesn't care. And I certainly don't want him to stop. Keep at it, Mr. Costello, because I think you're marvellous. :)
johnfoyle

Re: 2014 Wednesday Oct 29th LONDON, ENGLAND, Royal Albert Hall

Post by johnfoyle »

new to youtube -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrxOwSE ... e=youtu.be

Elvis Costello & Georgie Fame - Everybody Crying Mercy
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Couldn't Call It Unexpected: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDPVFPLpihQ
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
WindUpWorld

Post by WindUpWorld »

johnfoyle wrote:new to youtube -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrxOwSE ... e=youtu.be

Elvis Costello & Georgie Fame - Everybody Crying Mercy
Thanks John. Thrilling to see this lovely intimate duo clip. Was expecting it on the night after seeing from set lists Elvis had been doing the song solo a few nights before - but it was superb. A jewel of a song from EC's favourite philosopher, Mose Allison, who had to reluctantly retire from touring a couple of years back (aged 85) after a stroke. And of course Georgie's cover versions introduced Mose's work to Elvis in the 60s, so it this performance was a rather beautiful 'coming full circle' tip of the hat. I do believe I just found some thing in my eye watching it again.
Ulster Boy

Post by Ulster Boy »

Was this show ever broadcast on BBC radio?