So, what did Santa bring you ....

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Mike Boom

So, what did Santa bring you ....

Post by Mike Boom »

I got the Beatles Anthology DVDs and the new Bob Spitz book, plus some ITUNES cards, Mavericks tickets and other odds and sods. You?
echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

My favorite present, for my office, was a framed print of me and my kids that my wife took at Storm King Art Center this summer.

Got some very nice cookware from my dad, including an electric griddle I can use for weekend breakfasts. The complete Elvis Presley 1950s Masters box set from my brother and the Complete Blue Note Bud Powell recordings from my uncle. Also several gift certificates that I'll probably be tempted to use in the next few weeks.

Great holiday, but I don't want to look at another ham for weeks, maybe months.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
migdd

Post by migdd »

WSS, ditto on the Ham!!! Once a year is enough for me.

My favorite gifts were world peace, the turquoise pajamas and the motorcycle hat. Next year I shall ask for an end to global warming, peace and restitution in Sudan and lower fuel prices. On the other hand, our children really enjoyed their portable DVD players, Gamecube games, the Conair hair highlighter and Ultimate Lightsabres, amongst other Western treasures.
LittleFoole

Post by LittleFoole »

Not a whole lot, the most notable being a 1 litre double walled stainless steel French coffee press (for camping and home use as well 8) ) Having broken several glass ones over the years, and having been without one for 3 years or so, this was a welcome gift. Supposedly will work great for my yerba mate as well as regular ol' coffee ;)
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

well, actually I got it for my husband, but I'm figuring I can make myself a copy. I know El Vez is just SICK with envy.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

Actually Mood, this clears up why I spent all of yesterday layed up with a nasty headache and a violently queasy stomach!
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

I got a Sirius radio, which was unexpected, but very nice. It was good to be able to drive about yesterday and listen to the all-Springsteen station. There's an all-Elvis station, too...but it's the wrong Elvis. 185 stations. No commercials.

I also got some Johnny Cash stuff, Frank Black's latest record, and Futurama vol. 3.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

I got...NOTHING. (stifled sob)
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

Youve been a bad girl then?
echos myron like a siren
miss buenos aires

Apparently, Mr. Boom. Apparently.
alexv

Post by alexv »

I got a saw (non-electric) and tube socks. Feel better, Miss BA?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

I got the new Ray Charles box set and the annotated Sherlock Holmes short stories. I've just spent the last four hours listening to six of the Charles discs on random play in a multidisc player ( the closest I'll get to an iPod...for now) , being bowled over yet again by Ray. Whether it was a long , groovy jazz workout with Milt Jackson or a band recording in Miami radio studio , the soulfullness just reaches out and grabs you. I hadn't realised how scattered the actual releases of these 1950's Atlantic recordings had been ; hearing them session by session has made me hear the songs in a completely new way.

I hadn't read Conan Doyle in years but these ' Holmes editions have been getting great reviews and certainly deserve them. Every teeny , tiny detail is explored and beautifully presented in bound volumes in a box. I had actually asked for Santa for the more recent edition of the novels but he got confused and these turned up. Perfect for dipping into .

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASI ... 12-9483637

Pure Genius [the Complete Atlantic Recordings 1952-1960/+DVD] [Box set]
Ray Charles (Artist)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASI ... 12-9483637

The New Annotated Sherlock Holmes - Vols. 1 & 2 The Short Stories
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Leslie S. Klinger (Editor)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They certainly show up what I was reading this evening. After hearing so many divergent opinions I decided to make up my own mind about Dan Brown's The Da Vinci Code . Considering that I got through about 300 pages in one sitting it is certainly a page-turner . However what was making me get through it was my wondering how the book has become so popular. The wooden characterisation is complimented by some of the worst dialogue I've seen this side of Jack Higgins'. The woeful , cliched storyline is as predictable as day follows night. I will finish it , if only to feel entitled to respond to the comments of the many who have read it. Maybe it could be argued that the religious content makes it interesting and , if that interests you , fair enough. It's a subject that can be engrossing when written about by , say , Evelyn Waugh. However , in this case , the form entirely swamps the content. What screenwiter Akiva Goldsman will make of it in the forthcoming movie version should be interesting.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Yeah, the Da Vinci Code is crap. I can't imagine what all the fuss is about.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

My peeps were awful, awful good to me this year....

DVDs -
The Richard Pryor Show
Deadwood, Season one (booyah!)
The Americanization of Emily
The Missouri Breaks

Books -
Lyndon Johnson & The American Dream
Fun With Reid Fleming - World's Toughest Milkman

CDs -
Buffy The Vampire Slayer: Once More, With Feeling sdtrk
Billy Joe Shaver - The Real Deal
James McMurtry - Childish Things
Big Sweet Life: The Songs of Jon Dee Graham
Merle Haggard - Presents His 30th Album/A Working Man Can't Get Nowhere Today
Dan Penn - Do Right Man

I also scored a Trader Joe's gift basket, some kickass homemade cookies, a racy yet tasteful pinup calendar (for the new apartment) and a ton of appliances and utensils for said apartment.
RedShoes

Post by RedShoes »

Blue & I got:

He-Man Season One: Volume One :D
No Direction Home DVD
Some Chinese Place mats/chopsticks (from China!)
Handheld Mixer (We needed one)
A straightener for my hair
Serving Bowls
A Indoor/Outdoor Weather Thermometer (Woohoo!)
Clothing

Not bad. We also bought two goats through http://www.heifer.org as a family.
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

Will Blue be able to use the hair straightner for his award winning hair?
echos myron like a siren
bobster

Post by bobster »

I got the a new DVD/CD player (the old one doesn't play a lot of burned DVD/cds) though I'm still contemplating returning it and getting one of those all-regions babies.

Also got the boxed set of all three extended versions of the Lord of the Rings flicks, the "Born To Run" boxed set, Randy Newman's "Good Ol' Boys" (ashamed to admit that I've never actually owned it), the remastered "London Calling" (at least the third time I've owned that, but this version sure sounds great!), and "American Idiot" and a Sam Goody gift card and malted milk balls (my favorite candy!) from my nephews
noiseradio wrote:I got a Sirius radio, which was unexpected, but very nice. It was good to be able to drive about yesterday and listen to the all-Springsteen station. There's an all-Elvis station, too...but it's the wrong Elvis. 185 stations. No commercials.
Noise -- Be sure to check out "Sirius Disorder" and "Little Steven's Underground Garage" too (I get a small selection of the Sirius channels via satellite dish). More repeated tracks than I'd perhaps like, but still lots of good stuff there. Vin Scelsea's Sunday night show on Disorder is pretty great, if a bit long winded.
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Both are already on my presets, along with Band-a-part, which is devoted entirely to French language rock and pop. That made me so happy, I almost cried real tears.
--William Shakespeare
bobster

Post by bobster »

Oh, and they even through in a Jean Luc Godard-derived pun. Unfortuantely, since I get mine over a satellite dish, I only get a selection of the stations, so I don't get that one. Quelle domage.
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

60 gb ipod !! (guess what I've been doing for the last few days?)

The Shield Season 3 dvd

Raging Bull 2 disc dvd
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:The complete Elvis Presley 1950s Masters box set from my brother
Oh Lord, is this good! Nice packaging too, though I don't know what I'm supposed to do with the sheet of '50s album cover stamps!
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Extreme Honey

Post by Extreme Honey »

I got an Ipod video, and 150 bucks worth of pirated DVDs. And Civ. 4. And I am in Punta Del Este, Uruguay. So I guess I won really...
Preacher was a talkin' there's a sermon he gave,
He said every man's conscience is vile and depraved,
You cannot depend on it to be your guide
When it's you who must keep it satisfied
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

With some crimbo dosh, First Born has bougt herself a turntable, now spends her time vinyl mining in the loft, digging out records I didn't realise I ever owned.

It seems that vinyl was a popular present this year among her chums.
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
miss buenos aires

Please, what is "crimbo dosh"?
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

crimbo = christmas
dosh = money
echos myron like a siren