EC/Imposters play Glastonbury, June 29, 2013

Pretty self-explanatory
sheeptotheslaughter

Re: EC/Imposters play Glastonbury, June 29, 2013

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

i did not try but it was on channel 992 Channel on virgin a couple of hours ago. I dont know how to post it on line. It would be nice if BBc 2 showed something rather than silly no marks talking about spiders
sheeptotheslaughter

Goon Squad wrote:I didn't get to record it because it wasn't on my red button ( :evil: Sky ! !) but watched it online and it was superb !
I think it was the perfect choice of songs for the occasion with loads of hits, along with interesting songs like "Jimmy...".
I thought he got a really good response from the crowd , especially considering they mostly weren't "his" fans, and also because after all he really isn't a stadium type performer.He is obviously much more of an intimate gig artist ( back to the old "pub rock" days) but considering all that he seemed to enjoy the experience and thrive on it. It was also good to see a couple of gals in the crowd with the Revolver Tour/Spinning Songbook T-shirts on.............so there were some of "us" there after all!
All in all a brilliant set ! Is it too soon to say he stole the show ? Probably performance of the weekend !
I know I'm bias, but it'll be interesting to see what the "experts" say about it in subsequent interviews, along with his take on it.
If I was Simon Cowell I would say...... I didn't like it.............................I absolutely loved it ! ! ! 8) :lol:
I think you've made this review your own to quote a Simon Cowell term. Elvis was great
sheeptotheslaughter

Apologies for too many posts I have had a long day trying to go to Wimbledon, not getting in and drinking too much tonight
MatthewBest

Post by MatthewBest »

Just watching it now. Blimey, his singing is really flat on Shipbuilding.
Wolverinefan

Post by Wolverinefan »

Couldn't see anything of Elvis showing via the red button tonight, so ended up watching it online via the BBC website, where the whole set (1 hour, 20 mins) was there in all its glory. Elvis did a great job and though it's clear that many people in the crowd were just holding their places until their favourite acts appeared, EC certainly had some supporters there and seemed to win over the crowd by the end.

The close up camera work was great, as was EC's guitar playing, and his voice seemed pretty strong throughout the set (not sure if it was flat during Shipbuilding or not, as it's not a favourite of mine). I enjoyed all the big hits, and thought Steve's piano work on Roses was beautiful, along with EC's vocals. :)

I liked the way he introduced Tramp the Dirt Down, acknowledging his feelings when he wrote the song, but showing sympathy for MT's family, as his own father also had dementia. In many ways EC is caught between a rock and a hard place with this song, because many fans would think it a cop out if he dropped the song, while other people would not enjoy seeing him rejoice about the death of MT, no matter how unpopular she was. It's a tricky balancing act but I think he did well.

Forgive me going off topic, but my own father has dementia so EC's comments struck a chord with me. This evening I took him to visit a care home, as his home is no longer a safe place for him to live and he is due to be discharged from hospital soon. He liked the place, which was a relief, but by tomorrow he will probably have forgotten he ever saw it. Such a shame, as he wants to be involved in the decisions about his future, but just can't seem to make new memories these days. Dementia is a truly hideous disease and takes everything away, piece by piece. It's a small comfort to me that EC probably knows just how I'm feeling right now.

Thanks for entertaining us EC, and keeping your humanity while you're at it.
migdd

Post by migdd »

Watching it on Youtube now. Great show so far. Agree with Dave that it would be nice to see this in better definition.
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

FAVEHOUR wrote:Someone has posted the whole show to Youtube, but only in 240p...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_rvL2CPHG8

Can anyone get higher definition version out there?

Dave
The BBC HD broadcast is available in 1080i format at HungerCity. Only 19 minutes were broadcast in HD. According to the uploader, there may be more shown later in SD.

http://www.hungercity.org/details.php?id=26361

I hope Your Happy Now
Heart Of The City
I Cant Stand Up For Falling Down
Radio Radio
Everyday I Write The Book
Olivers Army
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.virtualfestivals.com/latest/news/14055

Elvis Costello at Glastonbury 2013 review

Peace, love and understanding, except for Thatcher
8/10

Elvis Costello, the perennial pub-rocker, takes a sun-basked Saturday afternoon Glastonbury main stage crowd for a joyful jaunt down a musical memory lane. It’s a pity though that not everyone in the audience appears to be a fan – meaning that appreciation is patchy at best.

Under a brilliant blue sky Costello successfully debunks the myth that spots and stripes are a fashion faux pas. Sporting a natty pinstriped suit and a purple shirt emblazoned with yellow polka-dots he leads his band, The Imposters, through a set that includes pretty much all of the tunes you’d expect – and perhaps one, ‘Tramp The Dirt Down’ – that the BBC might have been happier had been left out.

It’s not a secret that Elvis Costello was no fan of Maggie Thatcher – and if there was ever any last shadow of doubt it was blown away the day he penned this vitriolic, no-holds-barred diatribe against the former PM. There’s no need for subtle analysis of hidden meaning when Costello sings of the laughter he expected would be forthcoming as England stamped on Thatcher’s grave, and although it’s likely that this is an opinion shared by many at the festival, it’s interesting to hear a few loud dissenting voices rallying to Maggie’s defence and calling for her legacy to be honoured rather than reviled.

That said, far be it for Costello to truly speak ill of the dead, regardless of how passionately anti-Thatcherite he might be. And so, tipping a hat to his father, who also suffered from dementia at the end, he does make the point that the song is as much about burying an idea as it is about burying a person in the ground.

Other stand-our songs in a set that also includes firm crowd-pleasers such as ‘Radio, Radio’ and ‘Everyday I Write the Book’ have to be ‘Shipbuilding’ (dedicated to Robert Whyatt, of course, who as Costello points out, would always sing it better than he ever could.) and, perhaps surprisingly, the less-well-known ‘Bedlam’ with its pounding tribal rhythms giving it an instant foot-stomping hook.

‘Oliver’s Army’ comes with some neat new vocal flourishes to make you realise that Costello still cares for his songs rather than just going through them by rote, and the reprise of ‘Peace, Love and Understanding’ that wraps up the show is perhaps the perfect sentiment for the ultimate festival of good vibes and shared dreams.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

A DVD is available on Dime: http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-deta ... ?id=455826

01. I Hope You're Happy Now
02. Heart of the City
03. I Can't Stand Up For Falling Down
04. Radio Radio
05. Oliver's Army
06. Jimmie Standing In The Rain
07. Tramp The Dirt Down
08. (I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea
09. Pump It Up
10. Peace, Love and Understanding
11. Out Of Time

Running Time - 48m
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
supplydavid

Post by supplydavid »

Has anyone an mp3 version?

thank you

David
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

docinwestchester

sweetest punch wrote:Oliver's Army (in HD): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgR19WW3NOE
Love seeing Steve on the Steinway grand.
Mikeh

Post by Mikeh »

The Radio Times Glastonbury preview referred to EC as an "evergreen agitator." He should have sung Nothing Clings Like Ivy (ha ha). I thought his singing was a bit flat on Shipbuilding as well. Do those new earphones he is wearing this tour have an effect do you think? I noticed at Liverpool he took them out a few times.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Mikeh wrote:The Radio Times Glastonbury preview referred to EC as an "evergreen agitator."
That's nothing Mike - the BBC referred to his backing band as the Attractions :roll: There was no ambiguity either - John Foyle confirmed it. :wink:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
bisonrav

Post by bisonrav »

Anyone wanting the full set in reasonably high res, 832x468 I have a capture from iplayer. It'll probably dropbox. PM me and I'll sort something out.

Saw him in Brighton last weekend, and thought it was a dodgy show, just rambled along and was a bit like he was going through the motions for the paycheck. The Glastonbury set was far more focused.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

bisonrav wrote:Saw him in Brighton last weekend, and thought it was a dodgy show, just rambled along and was a bit like he was going through the motions for the paycheck. The Glastonbury set was far more focused.
Not sure that's a comment I'd agree with. If he was only there for the pay cheque he'd have gone off after PLU. He could have easily justified this as there was a power failure. Instead they played 3 more songs. Also whilst the crowd was sitting for most of the show (and audiences have varied on the 8 shows I saw) there was a huge surge to the front of the stage for the encore. I think the spinning element of the show had lost its novelty as the number of spinners reduced and the songs were played 3 or more in a row.

Anyway I digress. I thought the Glastonbury show was well filmed. I love the way they panned to some policemen during Detectives. Jimmie was also really well received.

Regarding the singing flat comments, I remember going to the V Festival with Mrs VG and having a great time. We then saw the footage on the TV and the sound was awful. I'm sure Nicola76 can tell us what it was like given that she was there.

I was surprised he didn't do Alison - that would have gone down well, as would Purple Rain.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
bisonrav

Post by bisonrav »

Don't take this the wrong way, but I wrote the piece below about the Brighton gig in another forum; I thought the gig lacked intensity and commitment. The spinning wheel really doesn't work for me for a number of reasons, it takes focus away and the show doesn't build. And the venue really didn't help at all, I've seen him in smaller venues in Brighton over the years and this was the worst imaginable, a great cavern of a conference centre. Shipbuilding was flat as a fluke too, he really doesn't do that well. But there were sparks, the encore post curfew was classically combative stuff. It wasn't a dreadful gig, it just wasn't memorable.

>>>
There was one moment I thought was telling. Throughout the gig, people were asking for Tramp the Dirt Down. When it got to playing it, he'd just played a song written for his father, and he explained that he had lost him 18 months ago, and then he said that in the context of the song he was about to play, the last 6 months where his father had had Parkinson's and dementia had been horrific, and that whatever he thought of someone he wouldn't wish that on his worst enemy.

And there was this "does not compute" ripple through the crowd, before they decided that this was a joke and laughed.

He went on to reestablish what it was he was complaining about in the song - people being ruthlessly done down - and pointed out that today's politicians are the same but with better PR, but that point was lost on the audience who I think mostly were trying to reaffirm the political certainties of 30 years ago by singing a few old songs, I couldn't shift the image of portly prosperous and complacent Munchkins. Heritage politics at a heritage gig. Nothing remotely new or troubling or difficult. Music to take you back to simpler times.

Actually there was something else. The set pre encore closed with a lengthy guitar solo, sort of prog jazz fusion style jamming with the band, and I was thinking back to I suppose 1978 and listening to Costello being interviewed on Radio City in Liverpool about rockist excesses and reading reviews of his 45 minute 15 song machine gun sets, and thinking something had been lost somewhere. Basically the band last night was the Attractions, tight as fuck and capable of the most amazing music, and they were noodling away like a cabaret band.

Flashes of brilliance though, enough to remind you he is a great performer - an amazing ampless version of Alison while his roadies argued with the management about the curfew during an extended encore, and Tramp the Dirt Down was just superbly performed (electric in the town that's probably most closely associated with Thatcher, she nearly died here and spoke in the same venue the day after that) - punctuated by lazy run-throughs - Shipbuilding was dreadful for example, lost all the atmosphere and phrasing. And yes, it's fun seeing middle aged fans go go dancing in a cage, but it's not exactly cutting edge, it's Barry Humphries stuff.

So very mixed feelings. I want to support Costello, but he's better than what he's serving up currently. You can't go back.
docinwestchester

supplydavid wrote:Has anyone an mp3 version?

thank you

David
Here's the entire show in mp3 format. I ripped the audio from the BBC iPlayer broadcast video. Thanks to bisonrav for sharing the video, which is very well shot. Overall, an extremely impressive performance by EC and the Imps!

http://www.mediafire.com/download/j6q58 ... e_show.rar
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Lots of people on twitter over the weekend were praising Elvis's performance - some saying that they've become new fans because of it. A few dissenters though! But only about 10 per cent.
bisonrav

Post by bisonrav »

Had a steady stream of interest in the full show, don't be shy if you want it. I can't host it beyond the weekend.
Goon Squad

Post by Goon Squad »

bisonrav wrote:Don't take this the wrong way, but I wrote the piece below about the Brighton gig in another forum; I thought the gig lacked intensity and commitment. The spinning wheel really doesn't work for me for a number of reasons, it takes focus away and the show doesn't build. And the venue really didn't help at all, I've seen him in smaller venues in Brighton over the years and this was the worst imaginable, a great cavern of a conference centre. Shipbuilding was flat as a fluke too, he really doesn't do that well. But there were sparks, the encore post curfew was classically combative stuff. It wasn't a dreadful gig, it just wasn't memorable.

>>>
There was one moment I thought was telling. Throughout the gig, people were asking for Tramp the Dirt Down. When it got to playing it, he'd just played a song written for his father, and he explained that he had lost him 18 months ago, and then he said that in the context of the song he was about to play, the last 6 months where his father had had Parkinson's and dementia had been horrific, and that whatever he thought of someone he wouldn't wish that on his worst enemy.

And there was this "does not compute" ripple through the crowd, before they decided that this was a joke and laughed.

He went on to reestablish what it was he was complaining about in the song - people being ruthlessly done down - and pointed out that today's politicians are the same but with better PR, but that point was lost on the audience who I think mostly were trying to reaffirm the political certainties of 30 years ago by singing a few old songs, I couldn't shift the image of portly prosperous and complacent Munchkins. Heritage politics at a heritage gig. Nothing remotely new or troubling or difficult. Music to take you back to simpler times.

Actually there was something else. The set pre encore closed with a lengthy guitar solo, sort of prog jazz fusion style jamming with the band, and I was thinking back to I suppose 1978 and listening to Costello being interviewed on Radio City in Liverpool about rockist excesses and reading reviews of his 45 minute 15 song machine gun sets, and thinking something had been lost somewhere. Basically the band last night was the Attractions, tight as fuck and capable of the most amazing music, and they were noodling away like a cabaret band.

Flashes of brilliance though, enough to remind you he is a great performer - an amazing ampless version of Alison while his roadies argued with the management about the curfew during an extended encore, and Tramp the Dirt Down was just superbly performed (electric in the town that's probably most closely associated with Thatcher, she nearly died here and spoke in the same venue the day after that) - punctuated by lazy run-throughs - Shipbuilding was dreadful for example, lost all the atmosphere and phrasing. And yes, it's fun seeing middle aged fans go go dancing in a cage, but it's not exactly cutting edge, it's Barry Humphries stuff.

So very mixed feelings. I want to support Costello, but he's better than what he's serving up currently. You can't go back.
:shock:
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.uncut.co.uk/blog/festivals/e ... 013-review

Tom Pinnock , Uncut 5 July '13

What with the sun blazing dangerously down on Worthy Farm, everyone seems to be in a blissful mood at Glastonbury this afternoon. Extraneous, and in some cases, all clothing layers have been shed, and the Southwest's supply of UV facepaints has been decimated.

In the midst of such good vibes then, Elvis Costello & The Imposters could probably come out in front of the Pyramid Stage crowd and play a selection of B-sides without dampening anyone's mood. Thankfully, there's plenty of room for "Oliver's Army" and company in his set.

A mid-show acoustic section is perhaps a little indulgent, especially on the stately swing-time ballad, "Jimmie Standing In The Rain", but the set picks up with a rendition of Costello's peerless anti-Thatcher song, "Tramp The Dirt Down".

"I would never wish anyone dead..." he says. "This isn't about burying a person, it's about burying an idea." It's a moving performance, though a little out of place performed to people eating ice creams and falafel wraps.

Costello closes the set with a marathon run of classic songs, including "(I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea", "Pump It Up" and "(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding". A solid ending - and a little more suitable for serving with warm pear cider.
Santi

Post by Santi »

bisonrav wrote:Anyone wanting the full set in reasonably high res, 832x468 I have a capture from iplayer. It'll probably dropbox. PM me and I'll sort something out.
Here's a full show authored DVD from iPlayer.
(Video: MPEG-2, 720 x 576, 16/9, 25 fps
Audio: MP2 Stereo, 48 kHz, 192 kpbs
Data bit: 3,80 Mbps)
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/palladia ... -specials/

Rolling Stones Glastonbury Show Headlines TV Concert Specials

The Rolling Stones‘ June 29 appearance at the Glastonbury Festival this summer will headline a weeklong slate of special concert programs on the Palladia cable network. The Glastonbury special will also include performances by other artists, like Elvis Costello.

The specials start on Aug. 26 with highlights from the Hangout Festival, which included a set by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. For the next week, leading up to Labor Day, the network will feature a lineup of some of 2013′s biggest and most popular festivals.

Other concert specials — all part of Palladia’s Outdoor Week — include Hard Rock Calling (featuring Bruce Springsteen) on Aug. 27, Download Festival (featuring Motorhead) on Aug. 29 and Isle of Wight (featuring Bon Jovi) on Aug. 31.

The Glastonbury special, which airs at 7PM on Sept. 1, concludes the high-definition music channel’s eight-day festival programming.

The Stones’ Glastonbury appearance, their first, was called one of the fest’s highlights, with the band stripping down and delivering a set of some of their best songs, including ‘Sympathy for the Devil,’ ‘Happy’ and ‘Can’t You Hear Me Knocking,’ which featured former guitarist Mick Taylor.

----------------
See also: http://www.palladia.tv/shows.php

Glastonbury 2013
SUNDAY, 9/1 at 7p EST: After taking a one year hiatus, England's historic Glastonbury Festival is back and better than ever! Regarded as one of the largest performing arts festivals in the world, Glastonbury has featured some of the biggest artists in music history. Highlights of the 2013 festival includes performances by The Rolling Stones, Mumford & Sons, Phoenix, The Smashing Pumpkins, The Lumineers, Of Monsters and Men, Elvis Costello, Alabama Shakes, Tame Impala, The xx, Vampire Weekend, Arctic Monkeys, Two Door Cinema Club, Solange, Public Enemy, Kenny Rogers, Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds, Rufus Wainwright, Public Image LTD, Chic featuring Nile Rodgers, Ben Howard, Jessie Ware and more!