EC/Imposters play Glastonbury, June 29, 2013

Pretty self-explanatory
And No Coffee Table

EC/Imposters play Glastonbury, June 29, 2013

Post by And No Coffee Table »

http://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/ (see the end of the second line for the Pyramid Stage)
Last edited by And No Coffee Table on Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
johnfoyle

Re: Elvis plays Glastonbury, June 2013

Post by johnfoyle »

Time to stir it up a bit by digging up this bit of tired 'n emotional verbiage , said by Elvis in a tour bus late one night...

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... ember_2007

Mojo, December 2007

The last time I saw you was rather different: Glastonbury 2005.

Fucking dreadful! I don't care if I ever play England again. I'll say that right now. That gig made up my mind I wouldn't come back. I don't get along with it. We lost touch. It's 25 years since I lived there. I don't dig it, they don't dig me. A lot of good new bands still come Out of England, but I just don't feel part of it. Music fans don't have the same attitude to age as they do in America where young people come to check out, say, Willie Nelson; they feel some connection with him and find a role for that music in their lives.

Discussion of that here -

http://www.elviscostellofans.com/phpBB3 ... p?p=109815
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

But then Elvis told Sulky, John and myself in 2006 that he would only play Dublin when hell froze over...
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

:lol: :lol:
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

verbal gymnastics wrote:But then Elvis told Sulky, John and myself in 2006 that he would only play Dublin when hell froze over...
crikey climate change is taking a bigger grip than I thought

I predict the Who Cares set, substituting Substitute for Happy to finish

As John would say - anyone going?

Colin Top Balcony
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: someone needed a nap the night that interview was given.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

The official website lists June 29 as the concertdate: http://www.elviscostello.com/#/dance-card
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
charliestumpy

Re: EC/Imposters play Glastonbury, June 29, 2013

Post by charliestumpy »

Having been (living in real Glastonbury) to the first coupla Pilton Fests, I look forward this time to any TV coverage of e.g. EC.

I hope that he is happy away from Liverpool-London etc.
verbal gymnastics

charliestumpy wrote:Having been (living in real Glastonbury) to the first coupla Pilton Fests, I look forward this time to any TV coverage of e.g. EC.
Well I hope somebody asks this time...
Paul B

Post by Paul B »

After 2005 I'm generally having the feeling that Ec & Imps set at Glasto 2013 will be less than inspiring. They're suckers for punishment - and for a cynical moment I'd add to that pay and a gig that some agent says will raise their UK profile.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

The Glastonbury poster now lists The Imposters
Wolverinefan

Post by Wolverinefan »

Looking back at the Youtube clips, Elvis didn't seem to enjoy his last visit to Glasto much, so I'm surprised he's doing this one really, but as a working musician I guess he can't always pick and choose which venues plays.

Anyway, I think the weather played a big part in dampening people's enthusiasm as it was very wet that year, so let's hope the sun will make an appearance this time around. I saw EC at Cornbury last year and he had good support from the audience there, but he was headlining so that probably drew more of his fans. I imagine Glasto can be difficult for performers who are not the headline act, but it's great for UK fans to have another chance to see EC play live. I'll not be going to this one but look forward to seeing the BBC coverage.
Ulster Boy

Post by Ulster Boy »

In next Saturday's tv listings as being part of the 10.30pm - 1.00am slot on BBC2 - presumably recorded earlier. As the BBC are providing blanket coverage across all channels I guess it could be broadcast live on the Red Button, possibly on radio too. Is there a confirmed start time for the appearance?
colrow26

Post by colrow26 »

From official glasto website...

Saturday

THE ROLLING STONES21:30 - 23:45
PRIMAL SCREAM19:00 - 20:00
ELVIS COSTELLO17:15 - 18:30
BEN HOWARD15:30 - 16:30
LAURA MVULA14:00 - 14:45
BILLY BRAGG12:30 - 13:30
ROKIA TRAORÉ 11:00 - 12:00
...I want him to hurt...
sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

Ulster Boy wrote:In next Saturday's tv listings as being part of the 10.30pm - 1.00am slot on BBC2 - presumably recorded earlier. As the BBC are providing blanket coverage across all channels I guess it could be broadcast live on the Red Button, possibly on radio too. Is there a confirmed start time for the appearance?

You are right,There is usually coverage on the red button and I have noticed the BBC now have extra red button channels on satellite/digital tv. This maybe of course only show Wimbledon. I can't remember if they show live performances as they happen on the red button but there is always a replay of performances. The BBC are saying there is going to be more coverage this year perhaps it may also be on line.

BBC 3 seems to be set up for the more younger audience on the Saturday, Chase and Status, Two Door Cinema club etc.

Elvis has a good slot this year. Lets hope it doesn't rain. I am sure he will get good coverage on the tv its just trying to catch it.
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

I really hope this goes well for him - I definitely think he should play the hits, and the very direct, easy-to-get across songs. Part of the reason we love him is that his songs are often really interesting and complicated, but for those who don't know him, I think really simple songs and/or upbeat stuff would go across better.

I don't think a huge rush of fast rockers would work well, as they tend to blend into one.

So he should defo do Alison, Oliver's Army, She, Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood (see how well it went across here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zriKO7hXsTc), I Can't Stand Up, PLU, Everyday I Write the Book, etc.

Or maybe I'm talking through my arse!
sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

Total agree Neil. A greatest hits set would the best thing to do for the non fans. The weather is supposed to be better than the last time he played Glastonbury. And the better time slot should make the atmosphere better

BBC often interview the main performers just before or after the set, occasionally they perform in the studio. I have seen Nick Lowe and Edwyn Collins doing that in the past
verbal gymnastics

Given that I am sure Elvis's people read this, I'd agree and say that Elvis needs to do an audience friendly set. Oliver's army, Shipbuilding, Pump it up, Alison, I can't stand up, PLU, Tramp the dirt down (the story for playing the song will go down well), Radio Radio, Chelsea, Jimmie, Detectives, She and maybe something where Elvis can have some fun like Bedlam or Stella Hurt.

Is that enough for 75 minutes?
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

One can really hope that he gets called out on stage during the Rolling Stone's set to do a right proper version of "Out of Time" to help celebrate their 50 years as a working unit. :wink:
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
verbal gymnastics

Or Elvis calls Mick Jagger on stage to sing "The last time" at the end of You belong to me...
charliestumpy

Post by charliestumpy »

At PILTON, I hope that DPAM plays 'Willie and the hand jive' and 'Anna'.

I went to the first and 2nd and the 1978 ones at Pilton, whilst living in Glastonbury (miles away from Worthy/now un... Farm.
'Sometimes via the senses, mostly in the mind (or pocket)'.
Goon Squad

Post by Goon Squad »

Right here's a conundrum. Where if anywhere can we see Elvis's full set today? ( .............and don't anyone say drive to Glastonbury ! :wink: ) The problem is that the show on BBC2 finishes at 6 and his set is supposed to go on til 6.30.
I'm sure the highlights programme tonight will not feature his whole set so the only hope it seems is the magic "red button". Does anyone have any info on whether he'll be on that, and even more importantly can we record from the red button. I've got a feeling you can't but I would like to try and keep it for future viewing if poss.
I await a flurry of answers from all the techno-whizz-kids !
Ulster Boy

Post by Ulster Boy »

Online?

Our biggest online offer ever, you'll be able to watch over 120 performances right here on bbc.co.uk/Glastonbury.

We'll be live streaming six stages - Pyramid, Other, John Peel, West Holts, Park and BBC Introducing - plus an additional roaming camera following BBC Radio DJs throughout the site on Friday. You can watch these streams live on PC, mobile, tablet and connected TV.
Ulster Boy

Post by Ulster Boy »

verbal gymnastics

You can record the red button shows. I know because I tested it last night!