Elvis Costello Countdown

Pretty self-explanatory
Otis Westinghouse

Re: Elvis Costello Countdown

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Maybe Veronica is the popular with fans one that's omitted. Fine by me, though CK is a bit of a Spike fan!

Not sure everyone's such a fan of Sleep of the Just as we are. For me it's one of his very best pieces of songwriting, with a fascinating and complex lyric and a perfect vocal performance.

I'll be checking during the afternoon here to see if today's trio are there. I'm already dreading the gaping void once this is over!
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
countdownkid

Post by countdownkid »

Interesting theories from everybody on what's left. I am maintaining radio silence about what's coming up to keep the suspense up, of course, but I love hearing the speculation. I was a bit surprised myself to see the album-by-album breakdown. Interesting that Brutal Youth is leading the way, although most of those seven songs are a bit further down in the countdown. We'll see what other albums contain the three songs posted today (#11-9.) Check it out in the link.

http://countdownkid.wordpress.com/

And remember, three more tomorrow, and then one per day each weekday next week to wrap it up. And I'm sorry to see it ending as well.
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

I am pulling for a late surge for songs found on "Get Happy", "Imperial Bedroom", "King of America" or "Trust"- hence some encouragement is gained by seeing "Clubland" arrive at #11. Have always thought those three albums contain the core[sheer number] of his most outstanding recorded efforts. With that in mind will equally not be surprised if "Spike" garners the highest total[as I secretly suspect that is where Countdown gained his entry to this artist and that would confirm a long held belief that one's entree to an artist helps immensely in continuing one's love and listening affair with said artist.] and that would be okay because it is at least not MLAR. :shock: As many others have endorsed- this is good, wholesome fun.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
Otis Westinghouse

Two of my predicted 6 now listed, so let's see about the other 4! I had wondered earlier on about The Scarlet Tide and whether it would feature. 10 pretty high for it. Nice shots Trust and The Delivery Man no =14 with 3 songs apiece. WTD raises either MAIT or MAIT Bonus to =5 depending on which way you want to argue it. For me it's the Bonus as WTD is not part of MAIT.

Bring on 8-6!
countdownkid

Post by countdownkid »

Well, you guys asked for it, so here it is: #8-6 are now up on the site. A very diverse trio with one thing in common, that is, they are all spectacular songs. Check it out in the link.

Remember we switch to one per weekday next week, so we can wring as much suspense out of this thing as possible.
Jack of All Parades

Well what do you know! I got two of the next three and the third I would not place so highly though I think highly of the song. Does this mean I am on a roll? Next week- day by day will tell. :D
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
terryhurley

Post by terryhurley »

WIWC2 - superb choice.
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

Very good point about Less Than Zero and the SNL performance. The obscure Oswald Mosley reference might have been lost on the U.S. audience, but "they would have known the fearlessness of its composer".

However, by switching songs, you can argue it made for a bigger headline, which produced a lot more buzz than the song itself.
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

New Lace Sleeves - pretty much expected by most of us.
Less Than Zero surprisingly high.

This leaves with Top 5.
I will be shocked if Man Out Of Time, Shipbuilding and I Want You are not there.
Two other places go to King Of America songs? Or maybe Still will be the dark horse of the race?
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
Otis Westinghouse

Getting interesting! NLS: yes, fully expected. LTZ: one of my longer list, wouldn't be so high for me, but it's certainly a song with a lot of significance. WIWC2: not listed by me, but I've always loved the menace of the vibe and the lyrics, and the brilliant 'thug/plug' couplet followed by the droll 'changed/paid too much' one. And a nice and original bit of sampling of Mina.

Only 3 of my 20 left, so they must be:

2. I Want You
3. Man Out of Time
7. Shipbuilding

Omission of any of these would be pretty much heresy and, from my what I've seen, out of keeping with what excites CK in Elvis (and surely Elv only writing the lyrics wouldn't disqualify Shipbuilding).

So no Veronica, Radio, Radio, Sleep of the Just, The Other End of the Telescope, My Dark Life. I think I'll Wear It Proudly must be there. I didn't list it, but it's one of his most potent love songs. that leaves one space. I wonder what.

I'm obviously a serious Sleep of the Just fan, but my point with it is it's brilliant on every level. Even if you couldn't care less what he's singing about (fascinating and beautifully expressed though it is), the moment he hits 'was asking me to dance', the goosebumps start. I think there'll have to be an appeals system where the omission of certain songs is justified!!!
Jack of All Parades

Your wish would be a nice choice but I, in my heart of hearts, seriously hope he has the critical courage to go with a "Jimmie" or "Dr. Watson" sort of choice. Something that shows the continued excellence of this writer and performer as he works well into his fourth decade of an exceptional career.
Otis Westinghouse

Maybe, but I would put serious money on One Bell Ringing or Stations of the Cross, then again, your two are beauts. Josephine a more leftfield option?
The imposter

Post by The imposter »

I would agree that Shipbuiding, Man out of Time and I Want You simply MUST be in that top 5.. I would perhaps choose a couple more off KOA although I wouldn't be totally surprised if Veronica was among this list.. The writer appears to be a fan of the Macca co-writes and it is after all said, an ingenious lyric with a catchy tune.
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Just checked the site. Nothing yet. :)

One more title comes to my mind - The Poisoned Rose?
countdownkid

Post by countdownkid »

Sorry for posting a little later this morning, folks. Stayed up late watching the Oscars and slept in a bit. (And where was "The Scarlet Tide" in the salute to movie music? Heck, I would have settled for "She.") Anyway, we begin our top five this morning with #5, currently on the site and in the link below. Remember that I'll be posting one a day this week. Can't wait to hear your response.

Jack of All Parades

This choice leaves me underwhelmed. Though a fine song, I would never have posted it this low in such a countdown. Hope the other four are more daring in their selection.
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

I first came to England in February 1989, one day after Spike was released.
This album, and Veronica in particular, was the background to my almost half-year stay in London. Three months later I saw Elvis live for the first time when he played solo at RAH.
Great time, fond memories. Happy to see Veronica so high.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Elvis' site has noted 'n linked this project, headlining it with words that seem to be a jokey reference to the Eurovision Song Contest -

http://www.elviscostello.com/#/news/her ... g-jury/392

"Here are the votes from the Luxembourg jury"
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I was about to post the same thing!

Of course Elvis' people never come onto this site...
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Heats101

Post by Heats101 »

A worthy albeit "safe"choice. With just 4 places remaining I assume the big hitters of I Want You, Man Out of Time, Shipbuilding and possibly Radio Radio are still to feature. Therefore I cant see any more of the equally deserving candidates referenced in this thread from National Ransom or KOA getting a look in. But enough idle speculation lets wait and see including the big omission !
Good manners and bad breath get you nowhere
Otis Westinghouse

You give it a good account and reasons for admiring it, and given your clear penchant for Macca and the collabs it's no surprise, but for me it would be a fair bit lower down and was my hope for the 'fan favourite that got omitted'. Looks like this must be one of the 4 above.

I was telling a couple of Costello-admiring colleagues about this on Friday when we all went to R Hawley and one of them checked it out at the weekend and is a late arriving enthusiast. I got an email telling me when I got back from a meeting 'no. 5 has been posted'. Didn't have time to look it up so it was handy to be informed. I look forward to the same ritual of anticipation and discussion for the next 4.
countdownkid

Post by countdownkid »

Well, folks, #4 is now on the site, and I'm guessing by your predictions that this one might be a bit of a surprise. Still, I'll defend it all day long as one of the crowning songwriting accomplishments of E.C.'s career. Check it out in the link, and let me know how the song ranks with you all.

Jack of All Parades

Not a surprising choice though I would not have placed it as low down in the count as you have. It definitely comes from a vein of songs[KOA] that merit lower positions on your list. I would argue he has always been a 'singer/songwriter' from day one[just greatly assisted by a cracker jack band as his career established itself]. Any close listening to his songs easily renders a 'personal' interpretation as well as the obvious generic[or general] interpretation[despite EC's consistent denials of the personal throughout his career]. Not 'shocked' in the least.
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

I wouldn't place it in my Top 10, but I do like the song a lot. And it comes from one of my favourite Elvis' albums.

Everything seems clear now.
I'm a bit disappointed with the lack of I'll Wear It Proudly, Sleep Of The Just, Still and a couple of other songs in Top 100, but hey, everyone's entitled to their own opinions.
Still curious which of the Big Three ends up Number 1.
Putting my bet on Man Out Of Time.
krm

Post by krm »

can I find a compiled list somewhere, maybe?