What's happened to EC's accent?

Pretty self-explanatory
docinwestchester

What's happened to EC's accent?

Post by docinwestchester »

Very subtle point here, but the way he pronounces the word "ask" in Shipbuilding has changed from a rather nice British sounding "ah-sk" to the more annoying American version.

original (Bruce is brilliant here, BTW)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LNB6M7yTBo#t=0m50s

current
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lk2rc3A0BD0#t=2m30s

Anyone else notice this or even care?
Jocko Wainwright

Re: What's happened to EC's accent?

Post by Jocko Wainwright »

He's been spending the majority of his time in America for quite a while. I suppose some alteration of accent was inevitable. Yank corruption.
Poor Deportee

Post by Poor Deportee »

All I can say is, thank God he doesn't feel obliged to maintain a phoney accent just to satisfy nostalgic fans. This would be the obverse of John Lennon's equally grating adoption of a faux-American accent upon moving to New York City. Elvis, you just go and pronounce 'ask' any old way you like! :wink:
When man has destroyed what he thinks he owns
I hope no living thing cries over his bones
Jocko Wainwright

Post by Jocko Wainwright »

It's certainly less annoying than Madonna's sudden-onset British accent.
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

Yes!- that example is extremely annoying- as if some one who grew up outside of Detroit is suddenly an English aristocrat- not happening no matter how many hundreds of millions of dollars you are worth. But maybe that amount of money can buy you a peerage- will we be required to say Dame Madonna in the future?
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
docinwestchester

Poor Deportee wrote:Elvis, you just go and pronounce 'ask' any old way you like! :wink:
The only reason I even brought this up is that going back to the original studio version, I always liked the way he sang that line in Shipbuilding. So hearing it now is like nails on a blackboard for me. That's all. I'm proud to call him a fellow New Yorker.
The imposter

Post by The imposter »

What you consider to be an American accent is also the way anyone north of Birmingham UK would pronounce the word "Ask" / æsk /. Just as Morrissey (from Manchester) pronounces the word in the song of the same name. Only southern English accents pronounce the word / ɑːsk / as in the 1st example.
docinwestchester

The imposter wrote:What you consider to be an American accent is also the way anyone north of Birmingham UK would pronounce the word "Ask" / æsk /. Just as Morrissey (from Manchester) pronounces the word in the song of the same name. Only southern English accents pronounce the word / ɑːsk / as in the 1st example.
Interesting! So the original pronunciation was a bit of an affectation by EC, betraying his northern roots?
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

"The Singer on the other hand had an accent that was given to wild variations, particularly during stage announcements. In Liverpool it became a thick, nasal Scouse. It was a top o' the morning, may the road rise to meet you, bejabbers brogue in Dublin. In London it became a Cheltenham cockney that recalled the early Jagger. It was important only to remember what town you were actually in."

— Bruce Thomas, The Big Wheel
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

just about the only line in that godawful book that made me laugh.

Elvis's accent getting lots of attention this week. I notice lots of ways in which his Scousocockney blend of yore has gotten more North American in recent years.

Mozzer pronounced that unless punters assked (not arsked) for "/ æsk /", they weren't allowed to be given it! Nice touch.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Dr. Luther

Post by Dr. Luther »

docinwestchester wrote:Very subtle point here, but the way he pronounces the word "ask" in Shipbuilding has changed from a rather nice British sounding "ah-sk" to the more annoying American version.
While I haven't heard it in ages, didn't Robert Wyatt's version contain a rather exaggerated "ah-sk"?
That's the way I recall it, anyway.
docinwestchester

Dr. Luther wrote:
docinwestchester wrote:Very subtle point here, but the way he pronounces the word "ask" in Shipbuilding has changed from a rather nice British sounding "ah-sk" to the more annoying American version.
While I haven't heard it in ages, didn't Robert Wyatt's version contain a rather exaggerated "ah-sk"?
Yes. Not too exaggerated here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxfVUnM9PWM#t=0m49s
Dr. Luther

Post by Dr. Luther »

docinwestchester wrote:
Dr. Luther wrote:While I haven't heard it in ages, didn't Robert Wyatt's version contain a rather exaggerated "ah-sk"?
Yes. Not too exaggerated here:
A bit less than I had remembered it as, certainly.

Still -- I get the sense that Elvis's emphasis might be a nod to Wyatt's delivery.
The time-frame was small -- pretty close on the heals of Wyatt's single.
Wolverinefan

Post by Wolverinefan »

Maybe he's one of those people who tend to unconsciously pick up and reflect accents, according to the people around him at any given time. I'm a bit like that myself. I once had a very awkward moment with a Scottish lady at work, when I was unconsciously slipping into a Scottish accent during our conversation and she actually asked me outright if I was "taking the p***"! :oops: I was really embarrassed and had to explain I had no intention of doing that, it's just a habit I sometimes have, I don't even know I'm doing it, and it's not meant nastily at all. Trouble was, she just didn't believe me and barely spoke to me again. Ah well.

Agree about the comment re Madonna's accent - v. annoying. In her defence though, she has lived in the UK for a while so maybe the accent is genuinely rubbing off on her?
Poor Deportee

Post by Poor Deportee »

And No Coffee Table wrote:"The Singer on the other hand had an accent that was given to wild variations, particularly during stage announcements. In Liverpool it became a thick, nasal Scouse. It was a top o' the morning, may the road rise to meet you, bejabbers brogue in Dublin. In London it became a Cheltenham cockney that recalled the early Jagger. It was important only to remember what town you were actually in."

— Bruce Thomas, The Big Wheel
Ha ha, having enver read that book I find this hilarious. No wonder it pissed Elvis off! :mrgreen:
When man has destroyed what he thinks he owns
I hope no living thing cries over his bones
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:just about the only line in that godawful book that made me laugh.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more