Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Elvis/Imposters play Melbourne, Florida April 23 '12

Post by johnfoyle »

Who's going?

Trailer for preview -

http://www.floridatoday.com/article/201 ... ck_check=1

Apr. 11, 2012

Here’s what’s coming up next week in TgIF.

Elvis is in the building

Our music writer Mike Nunez interviews Elvis Costello, who will perform at 7:30 p.m. April 23 at the King Center in Melbourne. Call 321-242-2219 or visit kingcenter.com.
Last edited by johnfoyle on Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
blureu

Re: Elvis/Imposters play Melbourne, Florida April 23 '12

Post by blureu »

I have three tickets for this show if anyone is interested. Orch Row E. Will post details in trading post forum.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

DAMN!!!!!!!!! i haven't been to Florida in 25 years...but, sure wanna go now!!!!!!!!!! wish it was 1000 miles closer
strangerinthehouse

Post by strangerinthehouse »

blureu wrote:I have three tickets for this show if anyone is interested. Orch Row E. Will post details in trading post forum.
Aaahhh Don't tempt me! I'm already going to the three other Florida shows. If I did this it, would be the third consecutive six-hour drive in three days, plus the five hour drive to Jacksonville a few days later. Am I mad for contemplating it?
And you try so hard
to be like the big boys
@shellacandvinyl
blureu

Post by blureu »

no, you're not :wink:
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.floridatoday.com/article/201 ... ck_check=1

Costello's aim is still true: Perform
Rocker brings his game-show inspired spinning wheel of music to King Center
8:34 PM, Apr. 16, 2012 |

Written by Mike Nunez
For FLORIDA TODAY

The details

Who: Elvis Costello and the Imposters
When: 7:30 p.m. Monday
Where: King Center, 3865 N. Wickham Road, Melbourne
Cost: Tickets are $35-$75.
Info: Call 321-242-2219 or visit kingcenter.com. For more on Costello, visit elviscostello.com.

THE DETAILS

WHO: Elvis Costello and the Imposters

WHEN: 7:30 p.m. Monday, April 23

WHERE: King Center, 3865 N. Wickham Road, Melbourne

COST: Tickets are $35-$75.

INFO: Call 321-242-2219 or visit http://www.kingcenter.com. For more on Costello, visit http://www.elviscostello.com.

THE STORY: Elvis Costello and the Imposters bring the “Spectacular Spinning Songbook” to the King Center on Monday. The tour, which had stops to more than 30 cities in 2011, invites select fans onstage to spin the wheel and help create a unique set list at each performance. The possible song list includes hits, rarities and a few surprises along the way. The wheel makes its first appearance in 25 years and includes an on-stage go-go cage and a “society lounge” in addition to the monumental game-show wheel.

Costello has been a force on the music scene for more than 40 years. He’s an actor, humanitarian, songwriter, collaborator, Grammy winner and 2003 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductee. Joining him on tour are the Imposters consisting of Steve Nieve (keyboards), Pete Thomas (drums) and Davey Faragher (bass).

Let’s Shake Rattle & Know: Elvis Costello

QUESTION: The “Spectacular Spinning Songbook” concert format is something you have done before. Why did you decide to bring it back?

Costello: We have no more exciting and unpredictable ways of performing our mountain of songs. There is no better way to change a set, which is something we did nightly anyway, than the wheel. It puts it in the hands of the audience. We did it before and the audience loved it and we had so many requests to keep doing it, so we are entering our fifth run with it. We will be taking the tour to Europe soon as well. I think the music and the format speaks for itself.

Q: With piracy and file sharing, recording artists and record companies have been forced to change their approach to the music business. What are your thoughts on the state of the recording industry today?

Costello: I don’t really have any thoughts in it. I’m not in that side of the business. I play music, that’s what I do.

Q: What role do you think record companies will play in the future of music?

Costello: I really don’t even think about that. Interview a record company and see what they say.

Q: I have heard you say before that you were considering giving up recording your music and sticking to touring. What inspired that feeling?

Costello: I don’t have any plans to record right now. I don’t have any plans for the future. I will be in Seattle tonight and will soon be down in your neighborhood. I think a live album is a good snapshot of my music from night to night. We are always scheming new ways to make our show different, but I have given no more thought to recording right now.

Q: Last year, you told fans not to buy your limited edition box set. Why?

Costello: Compared to other box sets available it was not comparably priced. I think the makers accepted that now, and it was short-sighted thinking on their part. Some good came of it, though, because the box set I recommended people buy instead (Louis Armstrong) sold out.

Q: What up-and-coming artists in music are you impressed with these days?

Costello: I don’t like to name names, because they already know who they are.

Q: You have always been outspoken with your opinions, did you ever make a comment or quote that you wish you could take back?

Costello: I’m sure I have said something offhand before or said something that I didn’t mean the way it came across, or the people didn’t see the humor in it. Sometimes you say something that could come across as very cold when in print. You don’t want to be a robot, so it is important to speak your mind. I have no real big things to say. If someone wants to know what I am thinking or feeling, all they have to do is listen to the songs; that’s pretty much everything I have to say. There will be folks that come along and love everything you do and some that don’t care what the words to the songs are. The appeal is something I can have no control over and no manifesto to follow.

Q: What do you think of the reality-based music shows that make instant stars out of an artist?

Costello: I don’t think about them at all. I don’t even watch TV.

Q: What’s next for Elvis Costello and the Imposters?

Costello: Tonight we play in one of the most famous and heralded theaters in Seattle, the Paramount. Then after that on to a new town where we see lots of friends and give a good show. Right now, the road is all we have ahead of us.
MOJO

Re: Elvis/Imposters play, Florida April 23 '12 - promo inter

Post by MOJO »

Great interview! Love it. "Why don't you call a record company to find out..." YES!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Bump!
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

found this random tweet:

@claasby
Elvis Costello and some guy named Sandman

And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Pics of the wheel reveal a new "Crime and Punishment" jackpot.

I can think of "Let Him Dangle," "Condemned Man," and "The Judgement." Any other contenders? They played Howlin' Wolf's "Commit a Crime" last year...
The imposter

Post by The imposter »

I STAND ACCUSED :P
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

Melbourne, Florida:

01. I Hope You're Happy Now
02. Heart Of The City
03. Mystery Dance
04. Radio, Radio
I Can Sing A Rainbow Jackpot – spin 1
05. Green Shirt
06. (The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes
07. Almost Blue
08. So Like Candy - spin 2
09. Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood
Time Jackpot - spin 3
10. Strict Time
11. Man Out Of Time
12. Out Of Time
Toussaint - spin 4
13. Nearer To You - sung mostly from balcony
Joanna Jackpot (deferred) - spin 5, and Crime And Punishment Jackpot - spin 6
14. Condemned Man
15. Alibi
16. Watching The Detectives / Help Me
17. Alison - spin 7
18. Everyday I Write The Book
Interlude
19. A Slow Drag With Josephine - EC solo
20. Jimmie Standing In The Rain - EC solo
21. Church Underground - EC solo
22. I Still Have That Other Girl - EC & Steve Nieve
23. Talking In The Dark - EC & Steve Nieve
The Hammer Of Songs
24. Episode Of Blonde - spin 8
25. Pump It Up - including Ain't That A Lot Of Love and band intro
26. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding? / Substitute
Last edited by Azmuda on Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SoulForHire

Post by SoulForHire »

Good to see Church Underground played again. He should play that more often
migdd

Post by migdd »

Yes. But I'd really like to hear this with the full band.
migdd

Post by migdd »

Not too many surprises in this setlist besides Alibi. Seems he was giving the band a big break during the last half of the (mostly acoustic) set. Pretty nice night overall.
And No Coffee Table

Concert review: Elvis Costello at King Center for the Performing Arts
posted by jimabbott on April, 24 2012 12:48 AM

Although a lot of rock stars act as if anything might happen in concert, that sadly isn’t often the case in the age of a million lighting cues and programmed backing tracks.

So it was exciting to see the notion of spontaneity alive and well in a generous, skillfully executed and often unscripted 2 hour and 15 minute performance by Elvis Costello and the Imposters on Monday at King Center for the Performing Arts in Melbourne.

It’s called the Revolver Tour, a nod to the return of the spectacular, spinning songbook shtick that Costello first employed in the late 1980s. The set list was formulated by spins of a brightly colored roulette wheel that dominated a stage decorated in a mix of vaudevillian and lounge styles, as well as a go-go dancer cage.

As master of ceremonies, Costello was a charming combination of game-show host and circus ringmaster. He invited audience members on stage to spin the wheel, then take a seat next to him with a cocktail — or dance in that cage — as he and the band performed.

In the early going, he pointed his walking stick at the crowd, announcing that the cane was equipped with a compass that “sets the true course for a thrill ride to ecstasy.”

Before the first audience member took her spin, Costello jokingly warned that “these people’s enjoyment of the next five minutes is entirely in your hands.”

Well, not exactly.

Even with all the flashy gimmicks, Costello and the Imposters were the force behind this show. The band showed impressive range, with keyboardist Steve Nieve, bassist Davey Faragher and drummer Pete Thomas demonstrating the elasticity to shift from clanging rockers such as “Mystery Dance” to evocative, whisper-soft ballads such as “Almost Blue.”

The latter surfaced in a trio of songs that the band hitched to one of the wild-card slots on the big wheel. ”I Can Sing a Rainbow,” an umbrella category for Costello songs that mention colors, also allowed the band to tear into ”(The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes.”

When the wheel landed on another wild-card, “Allen Toussaint,” Costello responded with the Big Easy legend’s “Nearer to You.” That soulful ballad took Costello into his expressive falsetto — and to the balcony, where he snagged yet more folks to spin for the next song.

Again and again, the blind luck of the wheel yielded terrific surprises.

“So Like Candy,” a Costello songwriting collaboration with Paul McCartney, melded seductive verses with an irresistibly melodic chorus. That song segued into a simmering, show-stopping interpretation of the Animals’ “Don’t Let Me Be Misunderstood.”

Costello inevitably found his way to favorites such as “Watching the Detectives” and “Alison,” although he had to offer a cheating nudge to the wheel when it landed one slot away from the latter. He also embraced his inner-troubadour in a hushed trio of acoustic songs that preceded the band’s rocking finale.

“You better help me,” he told the crowd at one point. “I can’t do it myself!”

It’s a deal. Costello and his spinning wheel are a winning combination.
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

And No Coffee Table wrote:Pics of the wheel reveal a new "Crime and Punishment" jackpot.

I can think of "Let Him Dangle," "Condemned Man," and "The Judgement." Any other contenders? They played Howlin' Wolf's "Commit a Crime" last year...
Others would include "Crimes of Paris", "Everybody's Crying Mercy", "I Shall Be Released", "Jailhouse Tears", "Kinder Murder", "King of Thieves", "My Thief", "Watching the Detectives" or as an outside bet any song by the Police!

MOOT
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Some lovely customised images from this show -

http://spiltbeanz.blogspot.com/2012/04/ ... tello.html

including -

And No Coffee Table

Elvis Costello combines game and rock elements to thrill fans
By James Tutten

A wild and highly interactive musical performance thrilled the dedicated fans of Elvis Costello at the King Center for the Performing Arts in Melbourne, Fla., April 23. An uncommon mix of rock show and game show driven by the talented and unpredictable Costello, made each stop of his 2012 “Revolver Tour” unique and exciting.

“I was told the only way Americans would understand us is if I talked like either Johnny Rotten or John Lennon,” said Costello explaining what it was like first coming to America. “So I combined the two accents for the first 17 or 18 years, and nobody understood anything I said.”

Moments like this became a special treat for fans of Costello and his music. His charm and tranquil persona was highlighted with several quick-witted remarks while interacting with the audience.

Most noticeably different with Costello’s performance was the stage set-up and all the extravagant extras added. A giant spinning song wheel, movable spotlights, liquor stocked tiki bar, and a cage for go-go dancing were all positioned along the stage and members of his band “The Imposters.”

Random audience members were picked out by Costello during several moments in-between songs and asked to spin the multi-colored wheel. On different panels were written song titles and other themes that helped guide the direction of the show.

One individual picked out by Costello introduced himself as “The Sandman” when he was brought on stage. A hard spin of the wheel landed on “Time,” one of Costello’s big hits. Costello quickly remarked “‘Time,’ what a perfect song for ‘The Sandman.’”

His punk rock and new wave sound was classically refined, but still remains true to its stripped down roots. The band often strung several tunes together and played with a driving tempo topped by style-matching solos. A sound all his own, Costello’s music deals with the commonality of everyday life, and each song has a noticeably different style and direction.

“This is my first time seeing him live , but I’ve been listening to him since 1979,” said Korinn Braden, a fan of Costello. “It’s a really great personal experience seeing him at a smaller venue and not some giant arena.”

The pinnacle moment of the evening involved a drastic change in the direction of the show. During a solo performance Costello stepped away from the mic and sang as he strummed an acoustic guitar. The audience came to a dead silence and the relatively large theater reverberated Costello’s unamplified voice. Though he had to sing a bit louder than normal, Costello’s trained vocals never cracked, and maintained a pitch-perfect tone. This unexpected showing captured the attention of everyone in the sold out crowd.

One female fan picked out by Costello near the end of the performance actually enticed the majority of the audience to get up and start dancing. Unknown to them, this dance session became the final set of songs performed by Costello, in a fast paced continuous string of hits. Going from one tune to another, he kept people out of their seats as the crowd moved, cheered and demanded more.

“My favorite moment of the show had to be during his solo performance,” said Daniell Thomas. “It was just so moving.”

Thomas was with a group of friends that were self-proclaimed diehard fans of Costello. Many were not ashamed to openly admit owning, and possibly making-out with, a life-sized cardboard cutout of the man back in their younger days.

Over 35 years in the music business, classic compilations with a variety of popular artists, and nearly 40 studio and live albums to his credit is only one side of this talented artist. To fully appreciate what Elvis Costello brings to the world of music entertainment you have to experience him live in concert. Classic charm and unpredictable style brings this titan of modern rock to the level of any great performer in his generation.
The Gentleman

Post by The Gentleman »

And No Coffee Table wrote:Elvis Costello combines game and rock elements to thrill fans
By James Tutten

One individual picked out by Costello introduced himself as “The Sandman” when he was brought on stage. A hard spin of the wheel landed on “Time,” one of Costello’s big hits. Costello quickly remarked “‘Time,’ what a perfect song for ‘The Sandman.’”.
Wow. I can't even figure out which song he's trying to refer to here. Plenty of songs with "Time" in the title, of course, but I can't recall any that really troubled the charts (though "Man Out Of Time" is certainly a fan favorite). Maybe The Sandman could tell us?
The Gentleman

Post by The Gentleman »

Man out of Time wrote:
And No Coffee Table wrote:Pics of the wheel reveal a new "Crime and Punishment" jackpot.

Others would include "Crimes of Paris", "Everybody's Crying Mercy", "I Shall Be Released", "Jailhouse Tears", "Kinder Murder", "King of Thieves", "My Thief", "Watching the Detectives" or as an outside bet any song by the Police!

MOOT
This jackpot could provide an alternate title for most of the albums in EC's catalog. So many songs potentially fit the theme, and a few that occur to me off hand include: "Needle Time", "Punishing Kiss", "Hidden Shame", "Radio Silence", "Glitter Gulch", "Complicated Shadows"