Macca/Elvis

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Macca/Elvis

Post by johnfoyle »

Macca is talking up his new album ; Costello references are starting to appear-

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u ... rtney_dc_1

( extract)

Q: How did your initial meeting with producer Nigel Godrich go?

A: Our ideas were surprisingly similar. I said, "I'm going to make a great record." I thought instead of saying, "I would like to make a good record," I'm going to put some pressure on myself and motivate myself. And he said, "If I do it with you, it's got to be you." I suggested a couple of possible things I was listening to that we might draw off. And he said, "No, we've got enough to draw off. That's what people want: an album that sounds like you."

So we decided to do two weeks at Rak Studios to see if we could work together or if we hated each other.

Sure enough, we got on very well. First week, I came in with my live band, thinking that might be the way we'd go. But he started to intimate toward the end of the week that he wanted, as he put it, to take me out of my safety zone, to do something different.

Q: In what way?

A: He said, "I like the way you play drums." I said, "I've got one of the world's greatest drummers in Abe (Laboriel)." He said, "Yeah, but it might be a bit safe. You know these guys, they know you. I'd like to try something out." I love playing drums. I love knocking about on a lot of instruments. I may not be the world's greatest drummer, but I've got a feel that he liked. I remember Elvis Costello talking to me about the feel I had on drums.

So that turned out to be the feel, and I had to say to the guys in the band, "Look, we'll be playing this live, but I hope you understand." They were really cool about it, and we set off on the road.

Q: You mention Costello, who you collaborated with on (the 1989 album) "Flowers in the Dirt," and this feels like it could be your best record since that one. Is there a link, in terms of bringing somebody new in who was prepared to tell you good things and bad things?

A: I think that's probably true, yeah. Someone you respect who has their own respect in the community and who is forthright enough to say, "No, we can do better than that."

The funny thing is, I always like that, but what happens is when you reach a certain position, people will naturally, in a way, assume that whatever you say goes.

But in a lot of the areas I work, like tours and in the office, if you were able to look in on a meeting of mine, it'd be, "OK, who's got a good idea? What do we do now?" I really like teamwork.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

How does Macca play drums? What is the feel? Any well known songs you can refer me to?

Didn't know the name Abe Laboriel (Jnr, his dad is a jass bassman). I love watching that guy. He's BIG and flails away at his kit like nobody's business. Incredibly solid and impressive. And two seconds on Google reveals he plays on the Scritti Politti 2000 classic Anomie and Bonhomie, which is a great revelation. Only thing is, which is him and which is other drummer, Juju House? The LP doesn't say. I love the drumming on that, both the sound, which is hard and powerful, and what is being played.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

Maccas drumming is solid and rhythmic, nothing fancy. Apparently he showed Ringo how to do that drum roll on Ticket To Ride, he does great drumming on Ballad of john & Yoko, only he and John played on that. MacCartney II, where he plays everything, is a good showpiece for his playing as well. Brian Blade he aint, still he's better than many, imo.
Otis Westinghouse

Didn't know about Ballad of John and Yoko. Apparently the joke goes that Ringo was only the second best drummer in the Beatles. Talking of Ringo... The Magic Christian! I'd never even heard of this, but found myself cracking up at bits of it when coming across it on the telly last night, e.g. Peter Sellers buying a Rembrandt for £30k in order to cut the 'French' nose out!
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

might be wrong here, but I think Macca plays drums on Back in the USSR and also MacCartney I (ie Maybe I'm Amazed etc).
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

"Dear Prudence" as well. There was a brief period during White Album that Ringo quit, so Macca took up drumming duties as a result.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
RinghioStarr

Post by RinghioStarr »

Keith Moon congratulated with McCartney for his drumming on the whole Band On The Run album.

As ReadyToHearTheWorst wrote McCartney played drums on his homonymous debut album also (as well as all the other instruments) - where the final track is an almost totally percussive and rhytmic track (usually not well received).
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/omm/stor ... 96,00.html

The Observer , Sept. 18th ' 05

Sean O'Hagan - I've spoken to Elvis Costello about the craft of writing a song and to Van Morrison about being a conduit for lyrics that just come flowing through him. Which are you: craftsman or conduit or both?

McCartney - I'm conduit.

Q. Really?

McCartney - Yea. When I worked with Elvis (Costello), it was more in his style, I guess. We sat right here with two guitars, paper and pencil. It depends on who you're with, really.

Full feature -

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/omm/stor ... 34,00.html
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XBNLb6e ... 30%2F11%2F

It starts with Elvis Costello, who co-wrote this with Paul, doing a practice run with Paul and cracking up. Then we go to various rehearsals and finally an almost-final version with Paul and his band.
Otis Westinghouse

Good Jimmy Saville impersonation.
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

I reckon that's from the Macca DVD Put it There, a promo for Flowers in the Dirt. Sadly, that's about all we get of our boy.
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
Miclewis

Post by Miclewis »

It is very understated, but I always liked McCartney's drumming on the song Band on the Run.

Paul even said once that he got a compliment from Keith Moon on the drumming on that track.
ramalama

Post by ramalama »

I recall an interview where Macca confessed to being offended because Stevie Wonder suggested during the Tug of War sessions that Paul's drumming was "too crowded."

Gettin' mighty crowded, indeed.
Miclewis

Post by Miclewis »

Tug of War would have been so much better if Paul had done all of his own drumming. Steve Gadd played on that album. I very capable drummer technically, but boring! boring! boring!

I totally believe in the Ringo school of drumming. Style and character rather than technical precision.

The best session drummer around is Jim Keltner; definitely in the "Ringo school". He imitates Ringo's heavy, slightly behind the beat style.

Could you imagine how 'canned' Painted from Memory would have sounded without such a stylist drummer like Jim Keltner. Hiring Jim Keltner was the smartest thing Elvis could have done for that album. Apparently it was over Burt Bacharach's initial misgivings.
Otis Westinghouse

Although Keltner is also a technically accomplished drummer (not a la Gadd, but then who is?), but certainly one with a lot of character and a very distinctive style and sound. Pete T also to be filed in the 'accomplished but characterful' league. I read a mad theory once that the real reason the Beatles were so popular was that Ringo's slightly behind the beat style was reminiscent of the way we hear our mother's heartbeat in the womb, and therefore a sense of deep comfort and security. There are a few good examples of great drummers who aren't particularly accomplished technically (Mo Tucker!), but mostly I'd go for ones who are both.
johnfoyle

Re: Macca/Elvis

Post by johnfoyle »

Elvis will, presumably, feature in this -

http://www.mccartney-recordings.com/en/

A book about Paul McCartney’s solo career, song by song.

13 years in making, over 300 pages

A unique glance at the creative process of McCartney’s recordings. Includes exclusive interviews with Denny Seiwell, Laurence Juber, Richard Hewson, Carlos Alomar, Jerry Marotta and many others!

Outstanding WHO PLAYED WHAT section for each track!

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showt ... p?t=270290

PAUL MCCARTNEY: RECORDING SESSIONS (1969-2011) out in late January '12
Miclewis

Post by Miclewis »

I always really liked Paul's drummIng on "Band on the Run". There's a famous story about Keith Moon asking Paul who the great drummer was on Band on the Run. Paul was very proud to say that he was.
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

johnfoyle wrote:Elvis will, presumably, feature in this - http://www.mccartney-recordings.com/en/
A book about Paul McCartney’s solo career, song by song. 13 years in making, over 300 pages
A unique glance at the creative process of McCartney’s recordings. Includes exclusive interviews with Denny Seiwell, Laurence Juber, Richard Hewson, Carlos Alomar, Jerry Marotta and many others!
Outstanding WHO PLAYED WHAT section for each track!

PAUL MCCARTNEY: RECORDING SESSIONS (1969-2011) out in late January '12
I like the idea of this book, being a freak for lists and data and whatnot, but I'm a little wary of the 28-euro price before shipping, the Italian as first language, and some sloppy facts on the homepage samples.