S.O.S. 2 live questions WANT YOU intro MAN OUT outro

Pretty self-explanatory
bronxapostle

S.O.S. 2 live questions WANT YOU intro MAN OUT outro

Post by bronxapostle »

statistical lunatic ba has a somewhat big job in front of him. i must go back in time and listen to 25 out of 100 shows that i've seen Elvis sing I WANT YOU. that darn couple of lines about "make-up" and "saying a little prayer" must be credited correctly as "I SAY A LITTLE PRAYER." you see, i'm re-doing my "books" at this landmark juncture and want to get things right. so oddly enough, i will come across the answer to question one in my travels. but, let me put it out there for now anyway. i feel like ONE TIME he did indeed do the intro to I WANT YOU live in person. i know at the VH1 show, Fiona sang it. but, did Elvis ever do it??? and this one i know as a fact, but again, i can't recall where or when. was it the Beacon 1995 or 96, the band played the OUTRO for Man Out of Time. did this happen more than once? a little brain teasing for the OCD'ers amongst us. i know there's a few out there. :) :)
bronxapostle

Re: S.O.S. 2 live questions WANT YOU intro MAN OUT outro

Post by bronxapostle »

news flash...just pulled out "the book" & i did notate on 8-2-95 intro>man out. could have sworn it was the back end. anybody know, was this ever done?
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

EC sang the intro to I Want You in Chicago in 1986.

As for MOOT, I'm pretty sure he played the intro or the outro several times on the 96 tour.

nunki?

Dave
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

And if memory serves, he sang the intro to I Want you in the middle of the song......

dave
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

i knew you'd jump in...thanks Dave. nunki is the king of stats...let's see what he has. going to Greece tomorrow???
stricttime81

Post by stricttime81 »

I think Cait wrote that into to I Want You, so we won't be hearing it gain from EC any time soon! Same with Baby Plays Around, don't hold your breath for that one.
AKA: Mike the Lawyer
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

FAVEHOUR wrote:And if memory serves, he sang the intro to I Want you in the middle of the song......
The intro was played at the beginning in Chicago (October 12, 1986). I think there's another '86 or '87 performance with the intro played in the middle. I'll try to track it down.
stricttime81 wrote:I think Cait wrote that into to I Want You, so we won't be hearing it gain from EC any time soon! Same with Baby Plays Around, don't hold your breath for that one.
Cait doesn't have a writing credit on "I Want You." Besides, he's played other Cait co-writes since their split, including two on the Revolver Tour ("Earthbound" and "The Judgement"). It's true he hasn't played "Baby Plays Around" though.
stricttime81

Post by stricttime81 »

I think I remember reading somewhere that she wrote the intro. Could be wrong.
AKA: Mike the Lawyer
The Gentleman

Post by The Gentleman »

It's my theory that the "Oh my baby" intro was once a completely different song (likely unfinished), and got welded to "I Want You" belatedly during the B&C sessions, a la "Cry Baby Cry" and "Take Me Back" (and not entirely dissimilar to the "Strawberry Fields Forever" approach they took to "Battered Old Bird). Yeah, it's not clear why EC would bother recording a song fragment, but it could have just been a vocal warm up like the 5 cover versions heard on the Rhino B&C bonus disc, and perhaps it was improvised completely on the spot. The fact that EC almost never performs the intro itself (aside from the '86 performances when the single was fresh) could suggest he's just recalling the original composition, whereas someone like Fiona who only knows the final product wouldn't think to skip it, as it was always a vital part of the song as she knew it.

Or maybe it's just a pain to move from acoustic to electric guitar so quickly--though if I recall, Steve handled the intro during the Fiona Apple performance? I've long been amused that the GIRLS GIRLS GIRLS compilation lists the "single version" of it w/o the intro, when in fact all the formats of the single that I know of presented the complete recording.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

And No Coffee Table wrote:The intro was played at the beginning in Chicago (October 12, 1986). I think there's another '86 or '87 performance with the intro played in the middle. I'll try to track it down.
Azmuda beat me to it by pointing out two performances of "I Want You" with the intro in the middle. Here they are as MP3s.

1986-11-28 London:
http://www.mediafire.com/?1iqha9i5cfoy5n2

1986-12-02 Dublin:
http://www.mediafire.com/?5d6e5ab6d8yxbxf

And while we're at it…

1986-10-12 Chicago (intro played at the beginning):
http://www.mediafire.com/?5xby9jeaxhktrql
SoulForHire

Post by SoulForHire »

Thanks!!
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

on a related topic...man ANCT!!! i am running across a small handful of discrepancies from what is written at THE WIKI to what is written in "MY BOOK" and when i hit the cds to verify, i am usually correct. the big ones that i recall right now are: RIFF RIFF RIFF was NOT played at the 8-3-83 Allentown gig. it did NOT get its first outing until 8-9-83 Jones Beach! on the same tour, at Asbury Park 8-14, someone added STAND DOWN MARGARET out of Big Sisters Clothes which did NOT happen either. speaking of the Jones Beach show, out of Alison>Living A Little, he does throw in a couple lines from THE BELLS! and Living A Little is another tidbit that is NOT accurately represented. it seems many shows do NOT have it there when it should from back to 1982. i know i'm being a pest, but i also know you do like accuracy. see if i'm mistaken, but i'm certain you'll agree on these mentioned. if i might bother you with my two 1986 Broadway questions while i have your ear: is that really TOWN CALLED BIG NOTHING at the end of JACK OF ALL PARADES from 10-21? dumb luck, my version gets clipped before the song actually ends. (anyone have a COMPLETE version?) and then, that wild jam at the end of HOME IS ANYWHERE YOU HANG YOUR HEAD final night 10-25 adds IT'S ALL TOO MUCH. the jam resembles it and i "think" i hear E say "too much" just ONCE. is it a stretch or do you agree? whats your impression on these please? sorry to give you more work! :lol: :lol: AND BIG thanks for those GREAT, HELPFUL mp3's ANCT!
SoulForHire

Post by SoulForHire »