Elvis and the Imposters Cape Cod July 27, 2011

Pretty self-explanatory
FAVEHOUR

Elvis and the Imposters Cape Cod July 27, 2011

Post by FAVEHOUR »

Stubhub has a listing for Elvis and the Imposters at Cape Cod Melody Tent on July 27th.

Dave
sweetest punch

Re: Elvis and the Imposters Cape Cod July 27, 2011

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Being the optimist that I am, there is still a chance for some UK dates in July...
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Anyone here going?
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

I can't resist. I'm going to try and score a ticket today.
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
Boy With A Problem

Ticket officially scored.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Boy With A Problem wrote:Ticket officially scored.
cool...how close are you to the venue? ya gotta go....
Boy With A Problem

bronxapostle wrote:
Boy With A Problem wrote:Ticket officially scored.
cool...how close are you to the venue? ya gotta go....
About an hour and a half from work and then two hours back home - not a big deal at all. Should be interesting - it's a theatre in the round situation.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Potential source of coverage-

http://www.melodytent.org/backstage/
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Twitter:
The fabulous @ElvisCostello at Cape Cod Melody Tent, but the stage is too small for his Spectacular Spinning Songbook. http://twitpic.com/5wwgs8
Smoking end of set by @ElvisCostello: I Don't Want to Go (to Chelsea), Beyond Belief (fave song), Clubland. #SweatingUnderTent #CapeCod
With no Spinning Songbook, several women invited onstage to dance by @ElvisCostello. May have regretted when 1 kept grinding on his backside
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Setlist from official site:

Overture - featuring the former Mother Superior of Our Lady of Perpetual Torment, Dixie De La Fontaine

Heart Of The City
You Belong To Me
Mystery Dance
Uncomplicated
Radio Radio
Everyday I Write The Book

The Hammer Of Songs

Alison - "Songs Of Sneer"

Bedlam

This Wheel's On Fire/The River In Reverse/On Your Way Down/I'll Take Care Of You/This Wheel's On Fire

The Hammer Of Songs

Watching The Detectives/Help Me - "Ladies Excuse Me"

Chelsea

Beyond Belief

Clubland

So You Want To Be A Rock And Roll Star

Commercial Break

The Stations Of The Cross

Finale

Payday

His Latest Flame

Less Than Zero

Strict Time

I Can't Stand Up For Falling Down

High Fidelity

Pump It Up

Peace, Love And Understanding
when i was cruel

Post by when i was cruel »

Any tapings of this ?
It's not the days when you leave me, but all I fear are the nights.
Boy With A Problem

That was a blast; no spinning songbook. The wheel must have just been too big for the small stage. So You Want To Be A Rock And Roll Star was pretty cool. Much different than the Boston show in May; very little banter. I think it was about an hour and forty five minutes total. Stations of the Cross was great and Less Than Zero, You Belong To Me and Beyond Belief were sort of unexpected.

I treated myself to a tee shirt.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.capecodonline.com/apps/pbcs. ... -1/NEWSMAP

Costello well worth cost of admission at Melody Tent

By Doug Fraser
dfraser@capecodonline.com
July 28, 2011

HYANNIS – The hardest working man in show business, now that James Brown has left the world’s stage, is probably Elvis Costello. At the Cape Cod Melody Tent on Wednesday night, Costello tore through two straight hours of songs with hardly a breath between them, and just a wave at an intermission, before launching into an extended encore.

He’s 57 but Costello hasn’t let time dim his love of rock ‘n’ roll or his energy on stage. He kicked off the night with a rocking rendition of “Heart of the City.” There’s lots of attitude with Costello, but it’s the kind that says grab a guitar and play your heart out.

And so it was only fitting he sang “Radio Radio,” where “every one of those late night stations playing songs bringing tears to me eyes,” followed closely by the melodic, swinging, “Everyday I Write the Book.”
Costello, born in London as Declan McManus, is the songwriter’s songwriter.

He’s been performing for nearly 40 years and has experimented with practically every song style from a collaboration with pop songwriter Burt Bachrach, to classical music, bluegrass, Irish punk, and others. He has quite a lengthy list of songs to request from and he let audience members (all female) pick the genre by slamming a big wooden hammer and ringing the bell on a carnival-style test of strength. The stage itself was set up like a mix between a ’60s-style bachelor pad, a midway and a old-fashioned disco complete with beaded go-go dancing cage.

There was a go-go dancer, dressed in classic Hullabaloo, as well as audience members who also came up on stage to dance in the cage. And it was an extremely danceable night of songs. An up tempo version of the classic put down “Alison” segued into Smokey Robinson’s “Tracks of My Tears.” A speed guitar intro led into “Strict Time” that showed Costello hadn’t moved far from his roots in the early British punk scene. “I Can’t Stand Up for Falling Down, Pump It Up,” a really rocking version of The Byrds’ hit “So You Want to Be A Rock and Roll Star,” and “What’s So Funny ‘Bout Peace Love and Understanding” had the sold-out crowd on its feet and dancing most of the night.

Costello was showman-like, generous and appreciative of an audience that always returned the compliment. After the opening set, he donned a top hat, grabbed a cane and mugged like a carnival barker while explaining how to make a song request.

He was always polite to the women who came up to dance, even when one was a little too into the hug, and went out in the audience several times to sing. Throughout the performance, he solicited sing-alongs and prowled the edge of the stage, looking out over the crowd as if to say, “I hope you’re enjoying this as much as I am.”

The one down side of the concert was the sound quality. The band was loud, sometimes to the point where it was muddy and words became distorted. With lyrics as good as anyone in rock, it seemed a shame not to be able to really hear them clearly.

Still, the loud volume lent a raw edge to the performance, an energy that can be missing from over-produced recordings. It’s closer to the origins of rock in cellar bars, pubs, and dances, where the music was defiant, loud, and throbbing with a beat that went right through you and made you dance.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Boy With A Problem wrote:That was a blast; no spinning songbook. The wheel must have just been too big for the small stage. So You Want To Be A Rock And Roll Star was pretty cool. Much different than the Boston show in May; very little banter. I think it was about an hour and forty five minutes total. Stations of the Cross was great and Less Than Zero, You Belong To Me and Beyond Belief were sort of unexpected.

I treated myself to a tee shirt.

glad you got there BWAP! this tour, a little moreso than usual, multiple shows attended will invariably get the attendee a dozen or more songs not heard at the previous show! keep going folks!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Next time we meet BWAP I'm going to have to teach you some recording tricks !!
Glad you enjoyed your two EC and Imposters shows, 2 more than VG and I are likely to see this year !! :(
Boy With A Problem

sulky lad wrote:Next time we meet BWAP I'm going to have to teach you some recording tricks !!
Glad you enjoyed your two EC and Imposters shows, 2 more than VG and I are likely to see this year !! :(
I believe we have tickets for November 7th in Amsterdam!

I have to agree with the review that John posted regarding the sound. I moved around quite a bit last night and the sound varied dramatically depending on where I stood. This was a revolving stage and there were only about 20 rows. My assigned seat was close to the back and rather than wait for Elvis to keep revolving back to me - I decided to mostly follow him around in a circle all night - which was pretty cool, except for a couple of altercations with usher type people (some people can't even be given a tiny bit of authority - at no point was I obstructing anyone's view or the path to their seats)......anyway - a long way of saying that I think that a quality sound recording would have been difficult to do last night; even in the expert hands that hang around this board.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »