Why doesn't Elvis play in the west coast ever ?

Pretty self-explanatory
when i was cruel

Why doesn't Elvis play in the west coast ever ?

Post by when i was cruel »

Iam just curious if there is a legitimate reason for him to not play west, he lives in Vancouver :(
Last edited by when i was cruel on Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's not the days when you leave me, but all I fear are the nights.
bronxapostle

Re: Why doesn't Elvis play in the west coast ever ?

Post by bronxapostle »

ummmm, because THE EAST COAST is better!!!! :o :o :o he played west in May! you'll see him next year or 2013. Christ loves u if EC doesn't! :lol: :lol:
Poor Deportee

Post by Poor Deportee »

It's puzzling to say the least. Not to mention annoying. The 'home town show' ought to be a no-brainer. Bah.
When man has destroyed what he thinks he owns
I hope no living thing cries over his bones
when i was cruel

He hasn't played in the CANADIAN west is what I mean but he's only played like Vancouver and nothing through Winnipeg, Saskatchewan and Alberta, I think his most recent show was 09 in Edmonton.
Last edited by when i was cruel on Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Poor Deportee

Post by Poor Deportee »

when i was cruel wrote:He hasn't played in the CANADIAN west is what I mean but he's only played like Vancouver and nothing through Winnipeg, Saskatchewan and Alberta, I think his most recent show was 09 in Edmonton. Oh and by the way Iam Agnostic, who is this Christ you speak of ?
Hmmm. Well, Elvis is an internationally-recognized 'prestige' performer. Let's face it, of Canada's cities, only three have anything resembling a plausible claim to be world-class...places like Regina and Edmonton probably aren't on his radar screen. This isn't Gordon Downie we're talking about here.
when i was cruel

Fair enough but think of the money he could make here at the Calgary Scotia Bank Dome, but yeah fair I'd expect to see Gord down here even though I would love to go, but yeah fair enough BNL are here tonight. Hey are you Canadian ?
Poor Deportee

Post by Poor Deportee »

when i was cruel wrote:Fair enough but think of the money he could make here at the Calgary Scotia Bank Dome, but yeah fair I'd expect to see Gord down here even though I would love to go, but yeah fair enough BNL are here tonight. Hey are you Canadian ?
On further reflection, Elvis has played the Ottawa Bluesfest at least once. So he clearly does not have a policy of outright avoiding Canada's mid-sized cities. Then again, Ottawa is right between Montreal and Toronto. Most likely he will play such towns only if they are in close proximity to major cities. And that makes sense when you think about it. It's much easier to zip into Ottawa for a gig after playing in Montreal, than it is to make a special trip to Alberta to play Cowtown. (Whether Calgary has a sufficient population of Costello-lovers to support a gig is another question; the town, rightly or wrongly, is more known for Phillistine oil greed than the arts. Just look at the soulless abomination of a prime minister it supports).

And yeah, I'm Canadian. I live in the Vancouver area - hence my sensitivity to EC's seeming disinterest in the 'home town show.'
when i was cruel

Yeah good point I suppose, oh and I totally missed the home town show bit first read lol sorry.
Poor Deportee

Post by Poor Deportee »

when i was cruel wrote:Yeah good point I suppose, oh and I totally missed the home town show bit first read lol sorry.
By the way, I'm a big Downie (and Tragically Hip) fan going back to my youth. I even got Gord to sign his book of 'poetry' (cough) at a reading he did :D Just so you don't think I was slagging him with the reference... :wink:
when i was cruel

Ok good just being sure, I didn't want to have 'little bones' to pick with you lol. No definitely a huge Hip fan though.
Poor Deportee

Post by Poor Deportee »

when i was cruel wrote:Ok good just being sure, I didn't want to have 'little bones' to pick with you lol. No definitely a huge Hip fan though.
I wouldn't have expected to find a convergence of Hip and Costello fans! But I guess in Canada liking the Hip is part of the residency requirement. :mrgreen: (Actually, I don't think Downie or the Hip are anywhere in Costello's league, but their music has given me a lot of enjoyment over the years...and their live act is absolutely second to none).
when i was cruel

I hear much of the same that their live is great, if you've ever heard the West Wind version of New Orleans is sinking then you definitely know their talent. I suppose in the styles of Gord and Elvis they are disimilar in terms of situations but not unlike in opinion and view. I mean truthfully Elvis is simply a more skilled writer where as Downie isn't as much, although only Gord could write Fifty Mission Cap and Wheat Kings and so forth.
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

Poor Deportee Wrote: I live in the Vancouver area - hence my sensitivity to EC's seeming disinterest in the 'home town show.'
The Vancouver date on 10 April should come as some relief. The Vancouver Sun previewed it thus:

Elvis Costello announces Vancouver Spinning Songbook debut:

Elvis Costello, who recently told his fans to avoid buying his latest compilation, will be bringing his Spectacular Spinning Songbook Tour to the Canadian stage for the first time at the Orpheum Theatre in Vancouver on April 10.

The “spinning songbook” is a wheel of fortune-type contraption spun by fans on stage determining the songs played over the course of the evening. Forty songs will be selected from a catalogue of over 200 for Costello and the Imposters (Steve Nieve, Pete Thomas and Davey Faragher) to perform.

Tickets for the concert are prices at $34.50 – $99 (plus service charges) and go on sale Friday, Dec. 9 via Ticketmaster.

http://blogs.vancouversun.com/2011/12/0 ... book-tour/

If they get to forty songs, they'll be doing well on past experience.

MOOT