Elvis/Imposters Beacon Theatre New York, NY May 23, 2011

Pretty self-explanatory
Ypsilanti

Re: Elvis/Imposters Beacon Theatre New York, NY May 23, 2011

Post by Ypsilanti »

cwr wrote:A great show!

My only complaint is that Elvis broke my heart TWICE with "Detectives vs. Hoover Factory."

The audience vote obviously went to Detectives, but Hoover Factory was competitive enough in terms of audience response that I had truly hoped he might play BOTH.

But THEN, when the next spin ALSO landed on "Detectives vs. Hoover Factory" a few minutes later, rather than taking it as a sign that he ought to now play Hoover Factory, he leaned on the wheel and moved it to "Oliver's Army" instead.

From then on, he pretty much dictated the outcome of all the spins! It was funny, and a terrific show, but super-heartbreaking to come SO close to "Hoover Factory" TWICE and not have him play it....
Agree! I cheered hard for Hoover Factory, too. But, Man! That was some amazing night! The Spouse couldn't make it so I brought a pal from work--25 yr. old girl who had NO previous Elvis experience at all (what do these kids listen to?) and she had a great time. She especially liked him singing off-mic during Josephine. And when he walked up the aisle near us she said "Oh my God! He's so sweaty!". Bible Code Sundays were fantastic, btw...
So I keep this fancy to myself
I keep my lipstick twisted tight
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.showbiz411.com/2011/05/24/el ... the-beacon

Elvis Costello Spins a Wheel of Fortune, Diana Krall Dances

Elvis Costello got some people to dance on stage last night at the Beacon Theater who ordinarily don’t shake their moneymakers in public. But his wife, jazz great Diana Krall, and producer extraordinaire T. Bone Burnett got in the mood like crazy, doing the frug and other dances with a Sixties style gogo dancer in a cage–provided by Steve van Zandt‘s manager wife, Maureen. The Beacon was pretty much of a party as Elvis, sporting a top hat and cane, recreated his famous 1986 spinning wheel on stage–sort of like Regis and Kelly’s vacation wheel but slotted with names of Costello’s songs and other hits. “Contestants” get to spin the wheel and Costello’s band has to play whatever song comes up. Of course, Costello himself has some control of the wheel and inserts songs he’s got slated to play.

But the whole thing makes for an incredibly entertaining evening. For the second of three nights at the Beacon, Costello pulled out all the stops, mixing hits like “Alison” and “Watching the Detectives” with cool rarities for fans like “Clowntime is Over,” “Lipstick Vogue”–with the Arctic Monkeys’ Alex Turner, and the Nick Lowe/Dave Edmunds hit “Heart of the City.” Costello performed three songs from his 1985 album, “Blood and Chocolate”–”I Hope You’re Happy Now,” “I Want You,” “Uncomplicated,” plus “So Like Candy,” a rousing version of the Rolling Stone’s “Out of Time.” He was also joined on stage for a couple of numbers with his (much younger) half brother, Ronan MacManus, an accomplished Irish musician who supplied quite lovely vocals on “American Without Tears.”
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... t-20110524

Elvis Costello Rocks Amazing Singing Songbook Set

Singer jams hits, rarities and covers in epic two-and-a-half-hour long show

"Look at these hits!" Elvis Costello told the sold-out crowd at New York's Beacon Theatre last night, using a cane to point to the colorful 12-foot wheel featuring 40 song titles – everything from classics like "Alison" and "Peace, Love and Understanding" to obscurities like 2008's "Turpentine." "We'll perform songs about chance! Songs about love!" Costello declared. "Songs about sex! Songs about death and songs about dancing! But not necessarily in that order."

He covered just about all those topics in an epic 30-plus-song show, the second in a three-night Beacon stand, that included his best angry-young-man anthems, Irish folk ballads and soul covers. Costello first brought the Spectacular Spinning Songbook on tour in 1986, allowing audience members to spin it to determine the set lists, and duetting with guests like Tom Waits, Tom Petty and the Bangles. Rolling Stone described that tour's five-night L.A. run as "part rock show, part game show, part free-for-all."

You could say the same for last night's show, the second-to-last on his 13-date Revolver tour: It definitively proved the 56-year-old proved hasn't lost any vigor since the original Songbook shows. After a preplanned blast including "I Hope You're Happy Now," Nick Lowe's "Heart of the City" and "Radio Radio," Costello put on a top hat and introduced himself as his pseudonym "Napoleon Dynamite," shining a spotlight into the crowd, explaining no one was safe from being called onstage to spin the wheel. The most terrifying part? Depending on the song's tempo, audience members either danced in a go-go cage stage right or sat at the "society bar," a gold-painted table stocked with martinis and a television broadcasting white noise – or as Elvis called it, Fox News.

It was pure showmanship, and Costello was having a blast. The first female guest spun "The Detective." Costello strapped on his Fender and busted out chunky reggae riffs against whirring organ. He took the reluctant guest into the go-go cage with him, and he grooved while using the cage's hanging beads to assault his guitar.

Next, the wheel landed on "Time," an umbrella topic that included songs with "Time" in the title. He performed a heartfelt take of Get Happy's "Clowntime is Over," a raucous "Strict Time" and then "Man Out of Time," which built like a Springsteen epic. The best moment of the cycle came last, a garage-rock take of the Rolling Stones' "Out of Time." Costello set his guitar down, stepped offstage and wandered the crowd, at one point dropping nearly to his knees like James Brown.

He brought back a young boy from the audience, who was beaming. "There's an old saying, 'Don't send a boy to do a man's job,'" Costello said. "But in this case I think we have the right man for the job." He did: the kid spun "Oliver's Army," one of the night's highlights.

Costello paced himself by rigging the wheel to ensure an acoustic set. During "A Slow Drag with Josephine," he hushed the rowdy theater, singing an entire verse without a microphone. He invited the group Bible Code Sundays onstage, featuring his brother Ronan MacManus. Accompanied by accordion, fiddle and a single drum, Costello performed roving Irish ballads – The Costello Show's "America Without Tears" and "Little Palaces" which evolved into a thundering Celtic jam (He did after all, produce the Pogues' greatest record, Rum Sodomy and the Lash.)

Later was a rumbling, psychedelic take on Momofuku's "Turpentine," which he joked was scraping the bottom of the barrel. Costello switched from a Fender to a gold Les Paul, howling away and wailing on piercing wah-wah notes. He rocked out even harder to "Uncomplicated," feeding off the energy of a female dancer in the go-go cage shaking maracas.

The encore was a show itself. Elvis sang "Lipstick Vogue" with Alex Turner of the Arctic Monkeys, whose passion was no match for Costello's. He then performed a rousing "I Don't Want to Go to Chelsea" and then "I Want You," a thudding blues jam that had him stabbing his guitar Neil Young-style, his vocals drenched in effects, bouncing from speaker to speaker.

For the final encore, Costello emerged in a gold suit and leopard-print hat and welcomed an audience member who exemplified the downside of a show with such heavy crowd participation. After Costello began the tender classic "Alison," she made her way to the go-go cage and broke out some pole-dancing moves. Then she grinded up against Costello and fell down. He discreetly motioned for a go-go dancer to take her away. "Come and get your girlfriend!" he asked her companion helplessly when she still wouldn't leave.

But the energy only encouraged Costello. He quickly moved into a soul medley including "Tracks of My Tears" "Tears of a Clown," and "Suspicious Minds." He then ripped into a raucous "Purple Rain," inviting T-Bone Burnett busting out some seriously jagged dance moves. He wasn't done yet, performing "Pump it Up," while working in lines of "Subterranean Homesick Blues" – likely in honor of Bob Dylan's birthday today. We can only imagine what kind of tribute Costello will give Dylan tonight.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

susanf

Post by susanf »

Bronxapostle, can't wait for that recording! I was there last night (scored a seat in the heavens for $18 from a broker!) and it was fantastic!
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

you'll love it susan...
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

miss buenos aires' significant other gives it a thumbs up on his great website, Psychobabble:

http://psychobabble100.wordpress.com/20 ... n-5232011/
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.weallwantsomeone.org/2011/05 ... 101-9-rxp/

May 25th 2011

(extract)

During the interview with Alex Turner , Matt Pinfield brought up how Alex joined Elvis Costello the other night to cover “Lipstick Vouge” (anyone have a video?). Alex spoke about how they’ve covered it before for fun, and the possibility of them recording it in the studio and making it a future b-side. How’s that for interesting?
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

This arrived at my doorstep today:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/25/arts/ ... 1&ref=arts

Another Spin of the Musical Wheel
By JON PARELES
Published: May 24, 2011

Elvis Costello came on as all jovial show business — carny barker, M.C. and musical attraction — on Monday at the Beacon Theater. It was part of a three-night stand there for his Spectacular Spinning Songbook tour with his longtime band, the Imposters.

A smiling go-go girl danced in a cage, cocktail glasses sat alongside Steve Nieve’s piano, and dominating the stage was a giant roulette wheel with song titles instead of numbers. Repeating the concept of a tour Mr. Costello did 25 years ago, songs were to be chosen by audience members spinning the wheel. He promised “songs of love, songs about sex, songs about death and dancing, but not necessarily in that order.”

For part of the show he stayed with the concept, bantering with audience members and leading the band through choices from the wheel (which largely overlapped his best-of albums). At one point he put on a top hat and flaunted a silver-tipped cane. Between songs the band played mock game-show music; perhaps since the Beacon has a Broadway address, Mr. Nieve kept dropping in bits of “On Broadway.”

Mr. Costello built loopholes into the wheel: one for “solo” songs he could choose — like the ragtimey “Slow Drag With Josephine,” from the “National Ransom” album of 2010 — and slots that were themes instead of song titles. “Time” came up, for a miniset including his own “Clowntime Is Over,” “Strict Time” and “Man Out of Time” and the Rolling Stones’ “Out of Time.” He brought out the Bible Code Sundays, his brother Ronan MacManus’s Celtic band, to play along on a few unlisted songs. (There was other family, too: Tennessee Thomas, the drummer Pete Thomas’s daughter, joined the band on a second drum kit, matching her father fill for fill.) Mr. Costello turned some of his own songs into medleys, quoting sources like Smokey Robinson, Bob Dylan and Elvis Presley. When he felt like it, he just moved the wheel to the song he wanted to play. “If I can’t cheat, who can?” he teased.

But the real and gratifying cheat was that there is, in the end, no way to keep Mr. Costello’s songs in any shallow entertainment mode. His torrents of words hold desire, rage, wounds and revenge, from the scathing personal scale of “Alison” to the historical sweep of “Oliver’s Army.” The music converges from all over — punk, soul, British Invasion, Tex-Mex, tango, country — to carry those words and sort out their emotions.

Even in music dating to the 1970s, the Imposters didn’t treat the songs as rote oldies. They were still pushing and pulling at them, putting (for instance) a guitar-scratching funk finale onto “(I Don’t Want to Go to) Chelsea.” And Mr. Costello inhabited his characters completely when he sang: all the ache, all the venom. None was more telling than “I Want You,” a slow, seething, self-lacerating and furious confession of passion and need, with jabs of bitter lead guitar. It didn’t feel like show business at all. Maybe that was the real proof of Mr. Costello’s showmanship.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

johnfoyle wrote:http://www.weallwantsomeone.org/2011/05 ... 101-9-rxp/

May 25th 2011

(extract)

During the interview with Alex Turner , Matt Pinfield brought up how Alex joined Elvis Costello the other night to cover “Lipstick Vouge” (anyone have a video?). Alex spoke about how they’ve covered it before for fun, and the possibility of them recording it in the studio and making it a future b-side. How’s that for interesting?
Very interesting.

I reckon it could turn up as an Arctic Monkeys vinyl and/or CD B side sometime unless it's one of those things that is well intentioned but never happens (like EC working with Bon Jovi for example).

It would certainly give EC a wider audience and pave the way for Elvis festival guest appearances.

I'd love to know where and when they covered it for fun.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
handwashings

Post by handwashings »

The show on Monday was a real treat and made me wish I'd gone on Sun and Tues as well. How can we convince Elvis to stage a Spinning Songbook residency at the Beacon each spring a la the Allman Bros?
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

great idea HW! is there a recording of this STELLAR show?
r83rob

Post by r83rob »

Is there anyone who might have a recording of Monday's show?

Ok, I've become a recent fan of Elvis Costello. I saw him open solo acoustic in CT with Bob Dylan and was blown away and then saw him open for the Police at Jones Beach and just wished he would have played longer.

I took my girlfriend to see him on Monday's Beacon show, and it was by far one of the best concerts I've ever seen...from anyone! Wow! I was blown away. His "I Want You", the furious pace to the cut time "Radio Radio" and everything in between was Amazing!

I'd give anything to be able to hear this one again (and again and again). My girlfriend has now stated that Costello is her new favorite artist and I cannot argue that at all.

Best to you fellow Elvis fans!

Rob
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Rob, you have impeccable taste! Isn't it a relief to find the only other artist who's as good as the Beatles? You have so much great stuff to discover! I envy you!
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

r83rob wrote:Is there anyone who might have a recording of Monday's show?

Ok, I've become a recent fan of Elvis Costello. I saw him open solo acoustic in CT with Bob Dylan and was blown away and then saw him open for the Police at Jones Beach and just wished he would have played longer.

I took my girlfriend to see him on Monday's Beacon show, and it was by far one of the best concerts I've ever seen...from anyone! Wow! I was blown away. His "I Want You", the furious pace to the cut time "Radio Radio" and everything in between was Amazing!

I'd give anything to be able to hear this one again (and again and again). My girlfriend has now stated that Costello is her new favorite artist and I cannot argue that at all.

Best to you fellow Elvis fans!

Rob
have NO fear Rob.i was only joshing above; i recorded it, & it came GREAT! that I WANT YOU was massive! you WILL hear it AGAIN and AGAIN! best, ba
r83rob

Post by r83rob »

That's Excellent! I am excited!! I have every Beatles album and am now discovering Elvis one at a time...sooo GOOD!
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

bronxapostle wrote:that I WANT YOU was massive! you WILL hear it AGAIN and AGAIN!
Can't wait. That was the best version I've ever heard.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
jmm

Post by jmm »

bronxapostle wrote:
r83rob wrote: that I WANT YOU was massive! you WILL hear it AGAIN and AGAIN! best, ba
I'm looking forward to hearing it too - on Tuesday night I was thinking of how good the version Fiona Apple did with EC & I's in 2006 and wondering if that was the last time I heard it live??
I too am a limited, primitive kind of man
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

ok gents...promise to do this one first, get it to doc for uploading and MAIL to jmm by saturday!!
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

bronxapostle wrote:ok gents...promise to do this one first, get it to doc for uploading and MAIL to jmm by saturday!!
The bronx-westchester connection strikes again! All three nights on DIME. Yeah, we representin'...
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Guys, any chance this could be available somewhere in mp3 files ?
Pleeeease!!
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
Ypsilanti

Post by Ypsilanti »

BA & Doc:
Very interested in recordings of both 5/22 & 5/23. Any chance you would be willing to burn CDs? As always, I can trade baked goods.
Ypsi
So I keep this fancy to myself
I keep my lipstick twisted tight