Wake up you footy fans!!!

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

This is all nonsense, of course, and yes, you'd be wetting yourself if Spurs played FC Tunafish in the CL, and you know it! I care profoundly about the CL because MU are always in it, and it makes a great change to see the teams from different countries face one another, and it still offers the greatest club glory a team can achieve (you'll just have to take my word on that one). Who can name a more incredible and exciting game than Liverpool last May in recent years? Exactly - MU 5 years earlier! Forget the frequently boring and predictable Premiership, that was a real competition. J'adore le CL!
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

I also hanker for the champions only format of yesteryear but it ain't going to happen. The main target for the top clubs is winning the premier, but once that has been achieved 2 or 3 times the CL starts to become more desirable. It's always going to be difficult for supporters of clubs not participating to get excited and for supporters of clubs who are in danger of not getting past the group stages to pretend that it doesn't matter, but the excitement of the knock out stages is very high. Admittedly the group matches can be dire but they are a necessary evil.
signed with love and vicious kisses
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

so lacklustre wrote:I also hanker for the champions only format of yesteryear but it ain't going to happen. The main target for the top clubs is winning the premier, but once that has been achieved 2 or 3 times the CL starts to become more desirable. It's always going to be difficult for supporters of clubs not participating to get excited and for supporters of clubs who are in danger of not getting past the group stages to pretend that it doesn't matter, but the excitement of the knock out stages is very high. Admittedly the group matches can be dire but they are a necessary evil.
It's not that it doesn't matter to me whether we win or lose. My problem is that most of the time the football is not very compelling.

I'd love to win the CL, but I think that in order to win it you need to have quite a bit of luck on your side (see Porto under Mourinho and Liverpool last season). All cup competitions are a bit of a crap shoot.

PS - There, so lack, we're through to the next round - but I still think it's pretty dull.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

But this is when it starts to get exciting.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Looks like George Best only has hours to live. I just hope he holds on until I've seen the next episode of Bleak House, cos if he snuffs it they will probably cancel and put on tribute shows instead.
Otis Westinghouse

Gorgeous George, the last of the go-getters.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

so lacklustre wrote:But this is when it starts to get exciting.
I hope so. Am I correct that we cannot draw another English team in the next round? That would be nice, because it seems that we have had a series of very unexciting draws in recent years (Arsenal, Liverpool).

Real Madrid please.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Ferguson rules out Ballack swoop

Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson says he does not want to sign Bayern Munich's Michael Ballack.
Ballack, 29, is out of contract in the summer and United are one of a number of clubs linked with the midfielder.

But Ferguson confirmed: "He is a great player and we have considered it for quite a few weeks and have had discussions with his people.

"But he is similar to players who play in that position already like Wayne Rooney and Paul Scholes."

"We want to target players in other positions."

Well, I would think Rooney and Ballack are not similar at all. And Scholes in his current form cannot compare with Ballack.
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Latest news : England seeded in World Cup.

This group would be a lot of fun for footie fans on this board :
England, USA, Poland, Australia :D
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

8)
Last edited by laughingcrow on Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Otis Westinghouse

To quote the Jerry Springer Opera, 'What the fuck? What the fuck? What the fucking fucking fuck?'
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

:lol:

That was almost as funny as the cup final.
Otis Westinghouse

Or as Henry missing a penalty...

Very predictable, but at least you know very well and better than anyone here the disappointment of this particular moment. Immediate comments over Fergie's uncertain future, etc. Started well with the early goal, and then it all went pear-shaped, with Ruud and Roon sadly unable to do their thing.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Fergie Out!!
corruptio optimi pessima
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

:shock:
You've just made me search five football sites .... and not a word about it.
Must be your wish then or do you have a Deep Throat in Manchester ? :twisted:
Otis Westinghouse

God I forgot to look last night! Sweden (again!), Paraguay, Trinidad and Tobago. Easy peasy.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Just a quick congratulations to SLL for his 98 points this week in the FFL. Has anyone ever beaten this? Superb....and a gooner as well.

Acheivement with an affliction...always worth celebrating :wink:
corruptio optimi pessima
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

What a CL draw! We get Barca and Arse get Real Madrid. Liverpool get Benfica, who knocked out ManU in the group stage.

Rangers-Villarreal - what a joke.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

That's the Arse's season over then.... :lol:

Rangers won't go any further.

I can see all the others getting through (inc Chelsea)
corruptio optimi pessima
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

I was at OT for the Benfica game, and was impressed by them...they're a Liverpool style team, so I wouldn't be surprised at an upset there. I really liked Geovanni for them...some player. They were unlucky in that game.

I agree with Jacko though, Real, Chelsea and Villareal to progress.

Anyone else think Wenger's off to the Bernabeu at the end of the season (if not sooner) anyway?
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

laughingcrow wrote:I agree with Jacko though, Real, Chelsea and Villareal to progress.

Anyone else think Wenger's off to the Bernabeu at the end of the season (if not sooner) anyway?
I could see us losing to Barca. Arse are going to ship some goals against Real, that's for sure.

Do you really think Arsenehole's going to bail out at the same time that they are moving into their massive new stadium? I'd be surprised.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

He made those flattering comments about Real, and how he adored them as a kid...which seemed a bit like a 'come and get me'.
At the start of the season I thought his squad looked a lot stronger than it has turned out to be - I don't think that new stadium necessarily equals more money for him to spend either...especially as there is undoubtedly some great young players there for the future. Im sure he'd like to reap the rewards from them if he built a team around them...but if Real come-a-calling, what 56 year old manager would say no?
Otis Westinghouse

Barca are very strong this season and will be desperate for revenge for last. Will be a big achievement if Chelsea can put them out. I'd be tempted to bet on Barca going through over Real. Liv v Ben should be good.

You went to the Theatre of Dreams and didn't tell us, Crow? A sad and painful night, though the sense of history and Best poignancy was good.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Real aren't exactly having a great season, I think Arsenal can turn them over (and as someone who got 98 points in FF last week I must be the most knowledgeable person here (this week) :) ). Barca/Chelsea could also go either way. Liverpool should beat Benfica.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

actually....my anti-arse bias aside, I tend to agree with SLL really. I could see Arsenal v Real being closer than people think and they certainly have a chance...............sadly :lol:
corruptio optimi pessima