You learn something new every day

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

I learned that, the time I thought my key had stopped working and I went to the locksmith and he magically "fixed" it but wouldn't take anything but a tip for his hassle? I was probably turning my key the wrong way. Oops. At least I'm buddy-buddy with the locksmith now (it was a big tip).
crash8_durham

Post by crash8_durham »

I learned that if you put in a bull nose at the top of the steps that sticks out too far, that your wife will slip and fall and leave you in a constant shrowd of guilt that may never fade.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Yesterday I learned that if you're in a Japanese restaurant and drinking sake and they have some chili oil on the table, chili sake makes a great drink! Today I learned that if you mix four types of beer, sake and two types of whisky and have almost no water (and in my case no coffee as my body is used to one in the evening), you will regret it in the morning, and come here at 10 to 6 cos you can't sleep and need to take your mind off it.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Tonight, after a terrible, terrible day, I learned that iced Mexican beer, in a mug with a salted rim, a fresh lime wedge, and a couple of dashes of Tabasco sauce is a hell of a drink.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
bobster

Post by bobster »

Goody2Shoes wrote:I was pleasantly surprised to learn today that my children actually buy my Omniscient and Omnipotent Mom schtick. I wonder how long that will last?
Probably right up to the moment they discover this board exists. :wink:
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
bobster

Post by bobster »

I've also learned that Noise, Otis, and Blue have some very interesting ideas for alcoholic beverages.

I'm not what you'd call a heavy drinker under ordinary circumstances, but getting drunk with these guys would at least be...colorful.
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
miss buenos aires

bobster wrote:I've also learned that Noise, Otis, and Blue have some very interesting ideas for alcoholic beverages.

I'm not what you'd call a heavy drinker under ordinary circumstances, but getting drunk with these guys would at least be...colorful.
In that your vomit would be brightly hued?
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

miss buenos aires wrote:
bobster wrote:I've also learned that Noise, Otis, and Blue have some very interesting ideas for alcoholic beverages.
Wasn't my idea!

http://www.kittlingridge.com/Descriptio ... Brandy.htm
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

I learned that in North Carolina you can't buy beer before noon on Sundays. This is a big shock coming from a place where you were required to buy beer before noon on Sundays.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Just be glad you ain't here in Bluelawsville, MA. Up until quite recently you couldn't buy ANY alcohol on Sundays, period.

I learned that if you can't find those gloves that go with your heavy winter coat-- despite how organized you got last spring and put hats, gloves and scarves into a little plastic drawer-unit thingy that goes in the closet-- the gloves are probably in the pockets of the aforementioned coat, which you will find after settling on the lesser gloves and going outside...
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Not sure about the potato size, but you need to think more or less of stewing the potatoes in olive oil for max softness and taste.
I do - I slice the potato very fine, steam it, then add the slices into the olive oil with beaten egg, bits of prosciutto and the rest of it (garlic, parsley...) in a pan.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Sounds fun, but not the 'Spanish tortilla' (as in tortilla de patatas) you were referring to before - no steaming, nor other things. But the world of tortilla is multifarious, and all denominations are admitted.

Bobster: all we need is a multi-millionaire Elvis fan benefactor who decides what we need is a conference and lay on plane tickets and sufficient booze to keep us all happy, and then we can put our creative liver-shredding skills into action. Any offers?
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

My mother makes the classic potato only Spanish tortilla. I find it delicious on its own but can't eat more than about an inch-thick quarter of one (too much of the same thing) and she almost always makes that to combine with other foods. Our improvisations are probably because she also likes to make a French style tortilla with all that stuff in it minus the potato.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

The drink I described above is a traditional Mexican beverage called a Michelada. I didn't invent it. But I will have another.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

I learned that when you accidentally stick a bottle of beer in the freezer to quick chill it and then forget it overnight that you can use it the next morning to make beer cheese soup, which I learned to make out of guilt for freezing two perfectly good bottles of beer.

The soup was delicious!
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I want the recipe for that, spooky!
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Well, I altered the recipe a lot by using less butter and salt, so as not to die of heart failure, but this is the recipe I worked from:

Bavarian Restaurant Beer Cheese Soup

1/4 lb butter
8 ounces cheddar cheese or American cheese
3 cups chopped celery
12 ounces beer
3 cups chopped onions
1 teaspoon garlic salt
1 stalk grated carrots
1 teaspoon white pepper
8 tablespoons flour
6 cups chicken stock

Makes 4 servings ( 4 bowls )

1. Sauté celery, onions, carrots in butter.
2. Add salt and pepper.
3. Blend in flour.
4. Add chicken stock and cheese.
5. Heat gently until cheese melts.
6. Add beer.
7. Adjust spices to taste.
8. Serve piping hot with croutons on top, if desired.

Someone on the net had posted a suggestion to use less onions, which I did. But I love onions, especially after they are sauteed.

Good luck with it. :)
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

I make a very similar recipe which I call 'Tavern Soup'. The only difference is that one beer goes in the soup and one in the chef.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Thanks spooky. So I take it the beer doesn't have to be frozen? :lol:
miss buenos aires

I learned that the #17 bus goes right from my house to one of my classes.

The more I learn about the bus system here, the more I appreciate it. They go everywhere!
crash8_durham

Post by crash8_durham »

Today i learned how nice it is to be snowed in from work at home with the wood stove burning all day long
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Today I learned that having been out for 9 meals in 11 days (most of which involve alcohol) will make me put on 1.5lbs.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

It took you 11 days to gain 1.5 lbs? Amateur....
It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Today I was, once again, reminded that a simple act of kindness can do more to catapult you into the Christmas Spirit than any pageant, gift, or event.

And today I committed to sign all of my business correspondence with the salutation "Merry Christmas". If the recipient doesn't like it, and choses to take their business elsewhere as a result of my Christmas Greeting, then it is a risk worth taking to remain firm in my convictions.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Happy Hannukah, Mr. Average!