London Meet Up - Friday December 9th

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

WSS - funnily enough I'm meeting Mrs VG around that area tomorrow. I'll ask her (or try and persuade her to take me there!). I suspect it will be very expensive.

As for worrying about the hangover, your post pub burger will help with that.

I guarantee that in my drunken state I will end up in McDonalds before getting on the train. And regret it the next morning. And vow never to do it again. And then do exactly the same thing next time.

MDM - I've already asked Gilli and would like to buy her a belated birthday drink. Alas she won't be there :( despite my promise of Kate Bush DEFINITELY being there this time (although I still reserve the right to provide a substitute :wink: )
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

I may be there a bit later - it remains to be seen. If you're moving on, would you be so kind as to text me in good time, VG?
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
verbal gymnastics

Of course. All those attending have got my mobile number if need be.
Otis Westinghouse

Actually, I suspect I'll be on the 4.15 and there before 6, so I guess I'll see you there.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

I think I can get there quite early. Are we going to go for some nosh half way through?
signed with love and vicious kisses
Otis Westinghouse

I hope so, I wasn't very popular with the train staff the last time, not that I hung around for their reactions...
verbal gymnastics

I would think going for food is a yes. We can play it by beer on the day.
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

And with the new 24 hour drinking laws we can simply keep drinking all night and catch the first trains out of London in the morning.
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

I'm in London , seeing some plays. I return to Dublin tomorrow , so will miss your get--together , sorry. It's cold but dry. If you have time go see - as I did this morning - the Rubens exhibition at The National Gallery , and the Living In Hell photo show in the same buliding. Some great images!

http://www.nationalgallery.org.uk/exhib ... efault.htm

' This Is Hell' indeed!

And that new statue in Trafalgar Square looks amazing!
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Sorry we'll miss you John. I'm off in a few hours to catch my flight. Really looking forward to Friday night.
Otis Westinghouse

What a shame! Would have been fun to venerate a mighty Foyle.
Otis Westinghouse

Yep, I did come here after, yep I'm a night owl. We had much fun with the pub and Chinatown and the other pub. It was a pleasure as ever to re-meet VG, SLL and BWAP and to meet WSS and Verena for the first time. Quite an international gathering!
Boy With A Problem

Suprisingly not too damaged this morning. A fine time was had by most - great to see everyone again. Special shout out to VG's mate from Birmingham (who should be a regular on this board)! Also - cheers to Verena for braving a packed pub and a meet up with a bunch of strange men!
Otis Westinghouse

Boy With A Problem wrote:A fine time was had by most
So who didn't have a fine time? You've got me paranoid now!

By the way, Queen Jane Approximately! How could I forget that? I am getting worried about my memory, and I was three pints behind the rest of you!
Boy With A Problem

So who didn't have a fine time? You've got me paranoid now!
I'm sure everyone had a good time...not sure why I said that. I think the woman at the next table in the Chinese restaurant had the best time though.

A couple of people who most certainly did not have a good time were sitting across from us on the train who realized around Fleet (with the aid of the ticket taker) that they were on the Basingstoke train and not the Portsmouth train. I wonder how they made out.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Sorry again I missed this ; here's a photo from my visit during the week -
Me at the new statue on Trafalgar Square's fourth plinth, London

Read more -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4247000.stm
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Sounds like you all had a splendid time...would have loved to have been there. Thanks for the text reminding me I was working till 9pm though! :lol:
Otis Westinghouse

Boy With A Problem wrote:I'm sure everyone had a good time...not sure why I said that.
Relief!
Boy With A Problem wrote:I think the woman at the next table in the Chinese restaurant had the best time though.
Could I just point out that her laughter was inspired by someone on her table not ours!
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Great time, can you all make next week?

Verbal Gymnastics
You are super fantastique
You organised the do
so my thanks go to you

I also met Verena
Have you not seen her?
All the way from gay Paris
To you mademoiselle I say merci

From the NY area came Who Shot Sam?
A Chelsea supporter (damn damn damn)
Despite this he is a very nice man
Go meet him New Yorkers if you can

Then there was B–Wap
Lets give him a clap
From New England to old Hampshire
Drinking whiskey and beer

From Cambridge came Otis
(He was late did you notice)
Thanks for the boot my Man U mate
I quite like you for that (It’s just your team that I hate)

Finally thanks to my fave EC fan
VG’s mate from Birmingham
Gifts galore of shows through the years
I’ll always be happy to buy you more beers
signed with love and vicious kisses
Otis Westinghouse

Verse supplied by So Lacklustre
With all the strength that he can muster
He travels up from Basingstoke
And yet seems quite an interesting bloke
A shame, though, to observe his lack of class
When he talks of his passion for the Arse
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Just back after a marathon travel day. It was great fun to meet you all - some again, others for ths first time. I have plenty of great new listening material to get me through the work day tomorrow. Good drinks, excellent conversation and company. Nice to finally meet Otis, verena and VG's bootleg-obsessed mate (I think he has just about every EC show I've ever attended on disc).

I must admit that I did feel like absolute shit when I woke up at my hotel on Saturday. I went down to the lobby to get some breakfast and staring at my greasy English breakfast knew immediately that I needed to stop by the shop, get some medicine and crash in my room for a few hours. By the time I met my buddy Peter at the White Horse on Parsons Green before the Chelsea match, I was feeling much much better - and a little bit of the hair of the dog took the edge off whatever hangover remained. What a gorgeous day Saturday was. The match itself was a bit of a snooze, but the magestic John Terry saved our bacon in the end.

That Quality Chop House place in Farringdon was very nice indeed (I avoided the jellied eels, though I must admit I was tempted), but it has the most uncomfortable church pew-like seats I've ever had the misfortune to sit in. Cool neighborhood around there and Clerkenwell. Also went to a great old pub right outside Blackfriars tube station for a few pints.

If I lived in England I would be drunk 24/7.

Please please please let me know if any of you happen to make it out to New York. Would love to do some bar-hopping in Manhattan.
Otis Westinghouse

Great pleasure to put a person to the words and the photos! Shame Wigan didn't get one back, though, especially as sodding Terry has scored twice in the last two weeks - after I sold him after getting a reduced return on him compared to the wonders of last season. Grrrr. Too bad you didn't try the eels. When in London! (Not that I've ever had them, and probably couldn't.)

As mentioned, hoping to get an invite to NY in May(ish), so will let you know for sure.
verena

Post by verena »

Yes I went to the meet up, thank you guys for being nice to me and sorry I had to leave before dinner. But I was first in with VG, so I spent over 3 hours in there, and that's the longest time I ever spent in a pub.

Did VG tell you that I dragged him next door to the Savoy for coffee ? I figured it would be comfy there (right) and the expresso good (wrong) and the ladies' room better than the pub's (damn right).

While in London I saw that a book apparently just came out about Sam Cook, bad news for those who admire him it seems he was a pretty rotten man in his private life. WSS I hope you knew that already and don't care.

Otis I forgot to tell you something about Martha: she said she would be "happy to sign just about anything" after the show. So yeah, she seems to be cool. Oh, and one of her favorite books is "Of human bondage" by Somerset Maugham (I agree on that).

Solack thank you for the verses but the "Gay Paris" you refer to doesn't exist, I'm afraid. France is a mess and the suburbs riots were only one tip of a big iceberg that was hit long before and we know it. So we're happy that our football team wasn't kicked out from the world cup, but apart from that if we didn't have the Eiffel Tower sparkling for 10 minutes every hour beautiful we'd be very gloomy.
verbal gymnastics

Thanks to everone for a great day and evening. It was lovely to meet the elegant and chic verena and to see everyone else again.

My expected hangover didn't materialise 8)

I hope we can do it again soon.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

verena wrote:Solack thank you for the verses but the "Gay Paris" you refer to doesn't exist, I'm afraid. France is a mess and the suburbs riots were only one tip of a big iceberg that was hit long before and we know it. So we're happy that our football team wasn't kicked out from the world cup, but apart from that if we didn't have the Eiffel Tower sparkling for 10 minutes every hour beautiful we'd be very gloomy.

Shame. Still right up there with Dublin as my favourite city tho. 8)
corruptio optimi pessima