The Knowledge: album lyrics

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Otis Westinghouse

The Knowledge: album lyrics

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Have you got The Knowledge? How many LPs do you know every single word of? Pure Knowledge is knowing them by heart, so that you could write them out or sing them solo. Near Knowledge is you can sing along and pretty much get it all, but might need the first syllable or word of a line to be fully confident. Partial Knowledge is knowing every line when you've heard it, but you might struggle to get there yourself.

I have Pure Knowledge of probably only two or three: Hunky Dory, Ziggy Stardust, Aladdin Sane, but I might have to think for quite a while with some of the lines. Near Knowledge would apply to the two Joy Division LPs, maybe all three Lloyd and the Commotions LPs. That's probably it. No Costello LPs, maybe KOA, PTC and Get Happy!! in Partial. Too many words, and too tricksy*. I could probably crank up the Costellos with a bit of studying the lyrics as I listen, a habit I don't have at all.

(Is this word in your vocabulary? Common in mine, as is 'tricksiness'. I have discovered I am alone among my peers in this!)
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
LittleFoole

Re: The Knowledge: album lyrics

Post by LittleFoole »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Have you got The Knowledge? How many LPs do you know every single word of? Pure Knowledge is knowing them by heart, so that you could write them out or sing them solo. Near Knowledge is you can sing along and pretty much get it all, but might need the first syllable or word of a line to be fully confident. Partial Knowledge is knowing every line when you've heard it, but you might struggle to get there yourself.

I have Pure Knowledge of probably only two or three: Hunky Dory, Ziggy Stardust, Aladdin Sane, but I might have to think for quite a while with some of the lines. Near Knowledge would apply to the two Joy Division LPs, maybe all three Lloyd and the Commotions LPs. That's probably it. No Costello LPs, maybe KOA, PTC and Get Happy!! in Partial. Too many words, and too tricksy*. I could probably crank up the Costellos with a bit of studying the lyrics as I listen, I habit I don't have at all.

(Is this word in your vocabulary? Common in mine, as is 'tricksiness'. I have discovered I am alone among my peers in this!)
Holy crap !!!! LOL !!!!! Perhaps a few old albums (early Queen, perhaps....early Ramones...) Can't consider EC because I tend to misinterpret some of his "garbled" words - they make sense to me, but apparently weren't written that way...hehheh
stormwarning

Post by stormwarning »

Great question, but I refuse to answer on the grounds that I might lose the very last traces of cool that I still have.
Where's North from 'ere?
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

I probably have Near Knowledge of Blood And Chocolate (though admittedly Tokyo Storm Warning is a tough one, what with all the imagery and verbosity) and King Of America (except for Eisenhower Blues).
Partial Knowledge would maybe apply to The Beatles’ Help and Rubber Soul, though I haven’t tried to sing along with them for quite some time now.

One thing is certain – it was so much easier to remember lyrics when I was 16 or 17. :lol:
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

stormwarning wrote:Great question, but I refuse to answer on the grounds that I might lose the very last traces of cool that I still have.
Storm, if *you're* not cool I fear I am in deep doo-doo!

I will put my list together, which will free all of you to be as uncool as you dare! I have a theory that being single enables you to memorize more lyrics. Records I listened to during my childhood and when I was single seem to have stuck the best.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Storm, with your latest avatar, I wouldn't worry about it. Go for it!
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more