Random Thoughts

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
stormwarning

Post by stormwarning »

How does he expect it to react ?
Where's North from 'ere?
RedShoes

Post by RedShoes »

Well, it's fairly routine. They do lots. And lots and lots.

She seems to be allergic to her stitches. Which apparently is very very rare.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Looks like it's now been spread across the pond (here's looking at you, 'Boo!).
That phrase must've caught on when they still thought the world was flat.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

bambooneedle wrote:
Otis Westinghouse wrote:Looks like it's now been spread across the pond (here's looking at you, 'Boo!).
That phrase must've caught on when they still thought the world was flat.
WHO says it isn't? eh?
signed with love and vicious kisses
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

smm, pip:

Just back from two days in your fair city. Beautiful weather. Did the Swan Boats with the kids in the Public Garden, walked from Back Bay over to the Aquarium, little fella dozed off in his stroller, saw an Imax movie, then stopped at the playground by the Frog Pond in Boston Common on the way back and let them run wild. Visited family today in Somerville, with BBQ. Great weekend. We gotta get back there more often!
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

Lurking just underneath the surface of any English garden, you'll find half bricks, metal strapping & shards of crockery.
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:We gotta get back there more often!
Yeah, and tell us you're comin' next time! (You knew that was comin', and though I'm only joshin cause I know how these trips go, please do when you have the time!)

That playground near the Frog Pond is a scream. My little guy loves those fountains. And though I suspect your BBQ was homemade, I could die happy after a meal of Redbones' Memphis ribs, some hushpuppies, and a slice of keylime pie, all washed down with some fresh-as-hell local pale ale... but I digress. 8)
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

selfmademug wrote:Yeah, and tell us you're comin' next time! (You knew that was comin', and though I'm only joshin cause I know how these trips go, please do when you have the time!)
Will let you know next time we're in town. This was just a little two-day trip and the kids hadn't seen Mommy in a week.
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

Lara Logan, CBS News' Baghdad correspondant, has a promising career ahead of her. She is smart, has an accent, and is better looking than Christiane Amanpour (sorry, Christianne)
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

Packing takes forever. You are never truly done, you just give up and abandon your possessions where they fall.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

miss buenos aires wrote:Packing takes forever. You are never truly done, you just give up and abandon your possessions where they fall.
God do I know what you mean. I have finally stopped having those recurring school anxiety nightmares (where I have a test in school but have neglected to show up to the class, much less study) but they have been replaced by packing nightmares-- I've been away for a year and have 20 minutes to pack all my stuff, which is unaccountably voluminous; or I'm at my childhood home and have an afternoon to pack all my worldy belongings (and sometimes those of my four siblings!) and take them away, or face losing them.
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

It is when you are packing to move that you discover just how much your stuff means to you. If you're willing to pack it up and schlep it halfway across the globe, that's love. If not, you don't really need it, after all.
It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

selfmademug wrote: I have finally stopped having those recurring school anxiety nightmares (where I have a test in school but have neglected to show up to the class, much less study)
Why do I still get those? I also get the same thing work-meeting-related, which is often not too far off what happens in reality, and do have travel ones too, but can easily slip book into school mode. It's a leitmotif for life, I guess.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
LittleFoole

Post by LittleFoole »

I've got blisters on my fingers...
Otis Westinghouse

Listening to the Beatles again?
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

And my movers stood me up, which means my ordeal is still not over. I have an apartment full of boxes that want to go into storage! I called them a bajillion times, and left half a bajillion messages, the last one more threatening than I intended ("I'm going to give you the chance to make this up to me and move me on Wednesday--I know that in a business that's so dependent on word of mouth, you don't want someone going around saying that you didn't show up or even bother to call..."). But seriously, if this guy doesn't call in the next 24 hours, all his flyers in my neighborhood are getting "COMPLETELY UNRELIABLE" written on them with a Sharpie.
stormwarning

Post by stormwarning »

I've moved FOURTEEN times since 1987, I know how you feel.
Even now, the only possessions I have apart from hi-fi, clothes, books, letters, photos CD's, LP's and DVD's is a table, a chair, a bed and 2 pans I bought back in '87.

My packing for the US was carried out professionally by a team of 4 packers - I'll never do my own packing again.
Where's North from 'ere?
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

stormwarning wrote:I've moved FOURTEEN times since 1987
Holy crap. That's brutal. I've moved half as many times in that exact same period-- but all within the City of Boston!
Otis Westinghouse

Storm's avatar is dancing almost exactly in time with Andy Williams' Can't Take My Eyes Off You. A wonderful random, camp moment.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

someone must animate Ms. Mug's.

I am counting 8 moves in my lifetime. If I ever do it again, I will slash and burn the furniture and clothing. Take nothing but the books, cds/records/dvds, photos and my guitar.

children optional. I'm down one and taking offers on the other three.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

mood swung wrote:children optional. I'm down one and taking offers on the other three.
I have a 3-year old boy with an iron will that I might be willing to swap. What do you say?
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Three guys on an expense account are travelling together, all representing the same company. The company has a very strict per diem of $25/day for each to spend on lodging (okay, so they work for my company, which isn't doing to well...). They can pocket whatever they don't spend on lodging and meals.

The most thrifty of the three has identified a hotel that charges only $30/night. They decide to room together, so each contributes $10 dollars to meet the total bill of $30.

Once they have left the lobby to relax in the room and gloat over their shred move, the desk clerk realizes that he has mistakenly put them into a $25/night room. He gives the bellman five $1.00 dollar bills and tells him to bring the cash to the three travellers. The bellman, en route, reasons that they cannot easily divide the $5 among three, so he slips $2 in his pocket, knocks on the door, and thrills the three guys by giving each a crisp $1.00 dollar bill rebate. Thus, the actual cash outlay for the room (from the lodgers perspective) is $9/each for a total of $27 dollars. The bellman, as you recall, placed $2 dollars in his pocket.

$27 dollars + $2 dollars = $29 dollars.

Where did the other dollar go?
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
stormwarning

Post by stormwarning »

Good question.

And if their budget was $25 per day each, and they only spent $9 on the hotel, what happened to the other $16 ?

This is turning out to be quite a mystery.
Where's North from 'ere?
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Somehow, Mini Oreos are even better than the regular-sized ones. I think they're the opposite of 'double stuff'. LESS stuff, more chocolate cookie. VERY dangerous!!
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

I never remember that I don't like Oreos until after I've eaten half the box.
It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on