Elvis/Dirty Dozen Brass Band

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Elvis/Dirty Dozen Brass Band

Post by johnfoyle »

Elvis' 1989 recording , after being released on a DDBB album in 1990 and the 2004 re-issue of Kojak Variety , has been included on a new DDBB compilation -

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/printFrien ... 09,00.html

July 24, 2005

THE DIRTY DOZEN BRASS BAND
Jazz Moods: Hot
Columbia/Legacy 519870-2

The DDBB are one of those forces of nature that you really have to see live. Records can offer only an approximation of the New Orleans spirit. Like some demented collision between Jelly Roll Morton and James Brown, the group reconnect with the raw, reckless atmosphere of early jazz without succumbing to the temptation to be lifelessly “authentic”. Part of a batch of archive packages, the compilation rambles tastefully through collaborations with Dizzy Gillespie, Dr John, Branford Marsalis and — somewhat unexpectedly — an unusually animated Elvis Costello. Morton’s vintage Jungle Blues is brought bang up to date. Three stars
CLIVE DAVIS
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASI ... 79-1305259

Jazz Moods - Hot
Dirty Dozen Brass Band

Audio CD (May 16, 2005)

Number of Discs:1
Label: Sony Jazz
ASIN: B0009HLB3Y
Catalogue Number: 5198702

Tracks

3. That's How You Got Killed Before
bobster

Post by bobster »

Don't remember the name of it right now (it's in a box somewhere), but the DBB album that featured that EC guest vocal was all-around terrific. Wonderful versions of "The Monkey" and "Don't You Feel My Leg", with a vocal by D. Bartholomew.
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

bobster wrote:Don't remember the name of it right now
The New Orleans Album.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Feck!
I had this album once . However , when I first got CD burning equipment I burnt a collection of Elvis' guest stuff , selling off a load of discs. This was one of them . Now , of course , the significance that a version of The Monkey , Bartholemew vocal and all , was on it makes it a must-have.

Hmmm.... Amazon have loads of cheap copies....

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... ce&s=music
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Listening to the 1990 version of The Monkey on the DDBB The New Orleans Album something blindingly obvious occurs to me. Elvis included his song with the DDBB on the MLAR re-issue . That came out in August 2004. Compiling the second disc for that finished , presumably , in early '04. Shortly after or at the same time TDM was being planned /recorded.

Perhaps Elvis listened through the rest of the 1990 DDBB release and was reminded of the the Bartholemew song. Dave Bartholemew's vocal on this recording is certainly much more expressive than on his orginal version from the 1950s. Certainly Elvis's recording of The Monkey and Monkey To Man have more in common with this version.

So , so obvious...............
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

johnfoyle wrote:Elvis included his song with the DDBB on the MLAR re-issue .
Kojak Variety, actually, but I agree with the rest. I can confirm that "That's How You Got Killed Before" was slated for the bonus disc by February 2004.
sabreman

Post by sabreman »

I went and saw the DDB a couple of weeks ago. Now they are a straight ahead funk band and no KJ. The first time I saw them back in the middle 1980s they were super great but have slowly sold out over the years (adding guitars, full drum set and key boards). They just couldn't make it playing the more jazzy wild stuff. Sign of the times.