Elvis on Scarlet Tide lyric change

Pretty self-explanatory
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

alexv wrote:Then we get his tour summary in his web site, which coincidentally brings him back to Thomasso's heart, apparently due to the following comment:

"Naturally, not every one was in agreement. There were a few competing boos in Columbus and a woman reportedly stormed out in Dayton, vowing to never to return to one of my shows but I would regard anything else as “Un-American”."

Now, if you interpret this remark a la Thomasso, he must be saying that the hysterical reaction of the lady from Dayton is a typical "american" reaction, i.e. intolerant and narrow minded. If that is the meaning, then I am puzzled, since this anti-americanism contrasts markedly with the sentiments expressed in the Billboard article about vastness, diversity, and decency. And Does anybody in Ohio.... have that kind of power to make our hero forget our decency and vastness? Or maybe he's just trying to say, that he expected some dissent, since an absence of dissent would be unamerican, which is not really a dis at America, which should be troubling to Thomasso. Which is it, I wonder?
The second, as I read it - that dissent is to be expected.

Not the most articulate thing EC's ever written, but I think I get what he's driving at and I'm a little more troubled by the long-term effects of some of the decisions this administration has made than others on this thread appear to be. Sure, we've survived worse, but shouldn't we be setting our standards a little higher?
alexv wrote:And then we get the now common plea to equate murder and murder:

"Fifty-two people are killed in London and we know all about them in a matter of hours. Fifty-two, supposedly liberated, people die in Iraq, two days later, and it barely makes a footnote in the paper next to latest blockbuster movie ad. Meanwhile, more foot soldiers fall in behind the standard of one or other pampered son of a dynasty."

EC is puzzled by our inability to see that all 104 people in his example deserve equal mourning. I am not. The fifty-two in London were presumably English or permanent residents of england. The 52 killed in Iraq, are either soldiers for whom death is always a factor, or people who attack soldiers trying to kill them, or innocent iraqui civilians caught in their country's awful mess, which did not start by the way with the american invasion, but started much earlier with the mass killings of the deposed dictator, to which londoners have thankfully not been subjected. Why should it surprise EC that in London people care more about their 52 than about the Iraqui 52? Is that a sign of moral depravity or chauvinism? Does he think that the papers in Iraq, will chronicle the lives of the London 52 with the same intensity as their own victims? This is the now standard approach towards criticizing the West: you set up an unrealistic standard of behavior and when it is not met, you demonize the west. Bullshit I say.
The fact UK or US citizens care more about their own casualties than the Iraqi deaths does not absolve Western media of its responsibility to put those casualties in perspective. I think the mainstream media have done a really poor job throughout the war of telling the stories of those who have died in Iraq, both soldiers and civilians.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

There's minimum individual journalistic accountability for the sort of rhetoric that fails to make those more realistic comparisors - no's of deaths, etc. So there's a lot of dumbing down to be expected in the mainstream media, a great deal of it at a level they think people can process and consume it . I think EC is in contrast giving far more credit to peoples' intelligence in expressing his sentiments as his (which he's ready to back in great detail), and is just bringing the feeling into focus.

It's hard to deny that Bush and co are selling off long term freedoms into legislation in an unprecedentedly fucked up fashion with some pretty contorted albeit popular notions. This much is not in question in EC's statements-- he's assuming there are people sensible enough to have acknowledged that-- but he's trying to arouse some feeling about it.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Oh man... first Chevy Chase (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/ar ... Dec15.html) and now Elvis?

How the hell am I going to find my weekend's entertainment now?
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Extreme Honey

Post by Extreme Honey »

alexv wrote:EC does indeed have a right to express his views wherever he wishes, and concert goers can get upset with them if they wish, but really can't deny him the right to use whatever venue is available to him to express them.

Having said that, once his pearls of wisdom are sent to us, we have a right to analyse them with the same vigor we apply to his lyrics. So here's my reaction.

In the Billboard post, the one that got Thomasso all upset thinking that EC was loving those "ignorant yankees", I was struck by the following:

"I have looked forward to living in the true value of this country for the last 25 years, and it is an ideal we give up at our peril," he continues. "Everything that I have ever loved about America is rapidly being eroded -- the unspoiled vastness, that, at its best, can absorb such cultural, religious and regional diversity, and the basic decency -- when it isn't tainted by one or other corruption of a belief inspired by a government intent on establishing some freakish hybrid: a spin-controlled theocracy."

A strangely inarticulate paragraph from our hero, but assuming it's verbatim, it's nice to know that he has been pining for our fair land for the last 25 years, although I am troubled by his feeling that our "unspoiled vastness" which absorbs our various diversities, and our basic decency are being eroded and tainted by our current government's establishment of a "spin-controlled theocracy(?)" in Iraq.

I know he's a smart guy and all, but how has he managed to determine that our vastness, decency and diversity are being destroyed by two terms of a Republican administration. I think we have survived worse. Is he aware that we survived Nixon? and Andrew Johnson? and Warren Harding? and Calvin Coolidge? His ability to come to grasp with our country's vastness in such a short time takes me back to Sting's old comment about how he knew america better than americans since he had toured the whole country. I always got a laugh out of that one. Yeah, boys, one day in Spokane. Got it, now for the Southeast. Idiot!! EC seems to be taking in some of those Summner fumes.

But it's not surprising really, since later in the interview he credits Emylou's "stronger american folk-music element" with allowing him to speak to americans in their "own musical element". I don't know what century EC is living on, but if you travel around America today you won't be aided in your ability to communicate with the common folk by Emylou's legendary voice stylings. Folk music is all but irrelevant in our society these days. In fact folk music hasn't really been about "folks" since at least the 50s when it was hijacked by educated hipsters. If he wants to connect, maybe he can try rap, or Sting's music.

Then we get his tour summary in his web site, which coincidentally brings him back to Thomasso's heart, apparently due to the following comment:

"Naturally, not every one was in agreement. There were a few competing boos in Columbus and a woman reportedly stormed out in Dayton, vowing to never to return to one of my shows but I would regard anything else as “Un-American”."

Now, if you interpret this remark a la Thomasso, he must be saying that the hysterical reaction of the lady from Dayton is a typical "american" reaction, i.e. intolerant and narrow minded. If that is the meaning, then I am puzzled, since this anti-americanism contrasts markedly with the sentiments expressed in the Billboard article about vastness, diversity, and decency. And Does anybody in Ohio.... have that kind of power to make our hero forget our decency and vastness? Or maybe he's just trying to say, that he expected some dissent, since an absence of dissent would be unamerican, which is not really a dis at America, which should be troubling to Thomasso. Which is it, I wonder?

And then we get the now common plea to equate murder and murder:

"Fifty-two people are killed in London and we know all about them in a matter of hours. Fifty-two, supposedly liberated, people die in Iraq, two days later, and it barely makes a footnote in the paper next to latest blockbuster movie ad. Meanwhile, more foot soldiers fall in behind the standard of one or other pampered son of a dynasty."

EC is puzzled by our inability to see that all 104 people in his example deserve equal mourning. I am not. The fifty-two in London were presumably English or permanent residents of england. The 52 killed in Iraq, are either soldiers for whom death is always a factor, or people who attack soldiers trying to kill them, or innocent iraqui civilians caught in their country's awful mess, which did not start by the way with the american invasion, but started much earlier with the mass killings of the deposed dictator, to which londoners have thankfully not been subjected. Why should it surprise EC that in London people care more about their 52 than about the Iraqui 52? Is that a sign of moral depravity or chauvinism? Does he think that the papers in Iraq, will chronicle the lives of the London 52 with the same intensity as their own victims? This is the now standard approach towards criticizing the West: you set up an unrealistic standard of behavior and when it is not met, you demonize the west. Bullshit I say.

Oh, for the record, I started out as a lukewarm supporter of the war in Iraq because I assumed that the people of Iraq would accept temporary american occupation of their country as the price to pay to get rid of a madman who had tortured them for years. Events in the past year have convinced me that I was wrong, and that there is a sizable element in that country who hate what america and the west stand for so much that no amount of effort will get them to lay down their arms. I am convinced now that it was a mistake, and that we have to find a way out of there, and leave them with some semblance of order and allow them to live the way they want to live. So I am now an opponent of the war. Having said that, I am also an opponent of idiotic generalizations about america and americans, regardless of their source.
RinghioStarr wrote:
alexv wrote:And then we get the now common plea to equate murder and murder:

EC is puzzled by our inability to see that all 104 people in his example deserve equal mourning. I am not.
I don't see where he's saying that. He's talking about media. And people's feeling are also determined by what you're aware of, and the media tends to determine your awareness.
Strangely the media, when they want, underline what there is some dictator that is applying mass murder on some population, and everybody goes boo... And everybody goes "get rid of him"! Other times not.
Other times - for example when your nation is involved in what should haven been a liberation war but is actually a mass murder... Oh, strangely the newspapers, the radios, and whatever, are not keen in underline the fact that there are civilians and innocent victims "in that war in that far foreign country overthere"... And that they are caused by your own country.

Oh, I suppose it's just a case, isn't it?
The fifty-two in London were presumably English or permanent residents of england. The 52 killed in Iraq, are either soldiers for whom death is always a factor, or people who attack soldiers trying to kill them, or innocent iraqui civilians caught in their country's awful mess, which did not start by the way with the american invasion, but started much earlier with the mass killings of the deposed dictator, to which londoners have thankfully not been subjected.
90% of war casualties are civilians. This is a widely known fact. So, I don't know if Elvis checked that fact he's referring about, but there is a "slight" percentage of probability that they *do* were civilians.

And by the way, this war just substitued Hussein's mass-killings with another mass-killing.

In iraq died in this war between 20.000 and 100.000 people (these are the two edges of the various valuations).

Before that there was an embargo who killed dozens of thousands of people, woman, aged ones and children included.

In Iraq used to die a couple of "twin towers" of children every month.
It was a case that our newspapers didn't talk about that?

"Oh, how can't they love American and European people? Ungrateful Iraqi people!".

That's all I have to say about it.

Goodbye.
Seems we got a strong american view from some of the board members. I'm not going to get into it, because the moderator would kick my ass out of here if he read what I would have to say about this whole argument :lol: . Anyway, all I have to say is, the rich world is greedy and only acts for a beneficial purpose. USA and Isrealare good contendors (there is a perfectly good reason for the withdrawal in Gaza).
Preacher was a talkin' there's a sermon he gave,
He said every man's conscience is vile and depraved,
You cannot depend on it to be your guide
When it's you who must keep it satisfied
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

thomasso wrote:Seems we got a strong american view from some of the board members. I'm not going to get into it, because the moderator would kick my ass out of here if he read what I would have to say about this whole argument :lol: . Anyway, all I have to say is, the rich world is greedy and only acts for a beneficial purpose. USA and Isrealare good contendors (there is a perfectly good reason for the withdrawal in Gaza).
It's nice to see that there are still people in the world who make sweeping generalizations about entire nationalities. While I don't fully agree with what Alexv and Emotional Toothpaste have said about Iraq, I think their positions are sincerely held and not the product of some sort of blind nationalism. Did an American shoot your dog or something?
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

A lot of young Canadians in particular hold a hostility towards the U.S. because your culture has influenced ours so heavily. That's a big part of why Canadian law actually forces television and radio stations to include a quota of Canadian content... because they are worried about the dominance of American culture.

So it doesn't really have much to do with the Bush administration or any politics of the last 100 years so much as a refusal to accept things for the way they are.

Personally, I hold too many Americans near and dear to my heart to ever make sweeping generalizations about a country that includes baseball, Woody Allen, Bob Dylan, and the love of my life.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
RinghioStarr

Post by RinghioStarr »

"And don't forget Michael Jackson".
selfmademug

Re: Elvis on Scarlet Tide lyric change

Post by selfmademug »

thomasso wrote:It saddens me to find out the Elvis who used to make fun of americans, america and most of all, american musicians
That last bit is priceless. We all know how much Elvis thinks of those generations of silly Country artists; those ignorant Yank jazz 'greats' liike Charles Mingus; the constantly overrated composers and performers of 40 years of 'standards' such as mssr.s Rogers, Hart, Carmichael, Porter, Gershwin; all that so-called classic R&B, soul and Motown he's always berating and mocking; to say nothing of those losers such as Dylan, Springsteen, Holly, etc.

But as the brilliant Thomasso has told us before, American celebrities are all alike, and American critics are stupid.

Dude you have a chip on your shoulder the size of the Canadian Rockies and it has crushed whatever you once may have had that resembled a brain. However, I am only an ignorant Yank so what do I know? :? :roll:
Extreme Honey

Post by Extreme Honey »

selfmademug wrote:
thomasso wrote:It saddens me to find out the Elvis who used to make fun of americans, america and most of all, american musicians
That last bit is priceless. We all know how much Elvis thinks of those generations of silly Country artists; those ignorant Yank jazz 'greats' liike Charles Mingus; the constantly overrated composers and performers of 40 years of 'standards' such as mssr.s Rogers, Hart, Carmichael, Porter, Gershwin; all that so-called classic R&B, soul and Motown he's always berating and mocking; to say nothing of those losers such as Dylan, Springsteen, Holly, etc.

But as the brilliant Thomasso has told us before, American celebrities are all alike, and American critics are stupid.

Dude you have a chip on your shoulder the size of the Canadian Rockies and it has crushed whatever you once may have had that resembled a brain. However, I am only an ignorant Yank so what do I know? :? :roll:
...You-re right, you are an ignorant yank so I-m not going to take it personally or logically.

Who shot sam, I decided not to take part in this debate after 2 comments which left me laughing all the way to Texas, so you cannot try to place a stamp on my head. However, you many have read some of my past remarks about your great nation. I think Bush is an allright guy, and Dick CHeney is a ******* *** who is the real cause of your nation's losing war and the reason why the world hates amrica so much. But then again, Cheney is one thing, and your media is another. It's not only dumbing down your ignorant youth but trying to brainwash you. I pitty all those idiots I see on CNN when they talk about "freedom in Iraq" and then they weep because their sons have been blown up. There is no denial that there is a huge rise in social problems in USA. And it would take 3 books to explain why AMerica is how it is now. Just face the fact that you oh-so-glorious nation needs help and stop defending every aspect of it. Can't you see the whole world want to shove a bomb up yer ***?
I think you all got to take a look around and see what has happened to thenation that used to be the world's best. When people from all around the world used to wish of the democratic, helpfull land. Now they think of greedy, oil-loving freaks. ADMIT YOU LIED, AND BRING THE BOYS BACK HOME.

And please don't start calling me un-anerican or a generalist. Read what I said and think of it from a different perspective. Again, I am not an american hater, I want to see America heal and return to it's past glory, but I can't stand it when you talk about issues you don't understand and when you can't even see what lies all around you (This is directed at many Americans, but not at all, and especially not at any of the smart Costello-lovers in the board).

And Blue Chair, you are right, You can't help but love Woody Allen. :lol:
And you are also right that many Canadians feel anger towards the USA.
Last edited by Extreme Honey on Fri Aug 19, 2005 3:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

thomasso wrote:...You-re right, you are an ignorant yank
Hee! That's terrifically satisfying, for some reason.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Jesus christ
Emotional Toothpaste

Post by Emotional Toothpaste »

It appears Thomasso went and tore off his own head.

Guess he's still bitter about that acid rain we send him.

or maybe its that a 12'er of beer costs something around $20

but what I want really want to know, is more about this "huge rise in social issues" and more about "how America is now"

Don't give me the 3 book response. The Readers Digest Condensed version'll do. Afterall, I'm American, and my attention span only lasts about as long as the typical tv commercial.

And give me 3-4 minutes while I go put some Act II fat-free microwave buttered popcorn on . . . I want to enjoy this.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

thomasso wrote:Just face the fact that you oh-so-glorious nation needs help and stop defending every aspect of it. Can't you see the whole world want to shove a bomb up yer ***?
thomasso, I think we should all pool our resources and send you to the next Republican National Convention as the official EC Fan Forum Correspondent. It would be worth it for the comedy value and the very real potential for physical violence.

Thanks for making me laugh. It's been a long week.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Fish in a barrel, I'll tell ya...
thomasso wrote: Just face the fact that you oh-so-glorious nation needs help and stop defending every aspect of it.
Okay. You're right. After a thousand-plus posts here over the past three years, I will now stop vehemently defending America's involvement in Iraq, the high quality of our radio programming, our fast food, our system of medical care, our disbelief in evolution, and everything else heretofore precious to me about This Great Nation. I will now stop blindly defending every aspect of it. Except my right to "hate America first." :roll:

BTW Thomasso you're not meant to get that, it's a joke aimed at those who've been paying attention to what's been written on this board.

What wouldn't I pay to throw Thomasso, Mr. A and Rope Leash on a desert island and watch them eat each other alive...
LittleFoole

Post by LittleFoole »

mood swung wrote:well said, Elvis.

but I liked this part best:
Our travels have taken us to several other towns for the first time and the welcome he received has only made us look forward to our return. These places include; Bilbao, Knoxville and Sioux Falls.
yahoo!!
Yes...hopefully a return to KnoxVegas is in order 8) That was the best live show I've seen in quite some time (.......ummmm, ...of course, I "had" to take my wife to see KC and the Sunshine Band perform the previous summer, so..... :roll: )
double dutchess

Post by double dutchess »

I pitty all those idiots I see on CNN
thomasso, you misspelled "pity".

I want to see America heal and return to it's past glory
That would be "its" not "it's".

If you are going to be mean, please remember to check spelling and grammar. That way, those of us who are "ignorant Yanks" can try to take you seriously.

And, while I'm here, I'd like to toss in my two cents (as if anyone cares). I love the lyric change (obviously). But I'm for anything that reminds us of the human cost of this war. After all, it is so easy to think of the military as an abstract concept, when in fact it is made up of individuals, with many of them comming home in boxes at an alarming rate. I was at the airport in Oklahoma City last weekend and I saw quite a few young soldiers. It damn near broke my heart.

And I recall a mention on this thread that Elvis received boos while performing the new lyrics in Dayton, OH. I think it's important to note that there is an Air Force base near Dayton, so there is likely a lot of military support around there. Unfortunately, some people confuse protesting the war with protesting the people involved, and I suspect that may have been part of what happened there.

That's all I wanted to say. Carry on.
I wasn't born the sharpest thorn
Extreme Honey

Post by Extreme Honey »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:
thomasso wrote:Just face the fact that you oh-so-glorious nation needs help and stop defending every aspect of it. Can't you see the whole world want to shove a bomb up yer ***?
thomasso, I think we should all pool our resources and send you to the next Republican National Convention as the official EC Fan Forum Correspondent. It would be worth it for the comedy value and the very real potential for physical violence.

Thanks for making me laugh. It's been a long week.
EC fan forum correspondant? Hahaha. I hope you enjoyed it, my pleasure.
Ghost of Ray

Post by Ghost of Ray »

I don't understand why any individual in a free society, including the misguided Cindy SHeehan, cannot say whatever they chose? If it resonates with some, it's okay. If it angers others, it's okay. That is, I thought, the essence of Freedom. While I can't really understand the positions of posters like Tommasso and Bambooneedle, I certainly don't begrudge their willingness to say it, even it it seems a bit nonsensical.

Elvis can say what he wants, when he wants. It is up to the listener to change the channel if he doesn't approve.

He's an artist for Chrissakes. My gosh, how many others of his genius caliber have off'ed themselves with drugs or other?

Charlie Bird Parker
John Coltrane
Janis Joplin
Jimi Hendrix
and on and on and on and on....

Maybe if they had exercised other outlets of expression thaey would have lasted longer.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Ghost of Ray wrote:I don't understand why any individual in a free society, including the misguided Cindy SHeehan, cannot say whatever they chose?
Nobody here suggested that they couldn't.
Ghost Of Ray wrote:While I can't really understand the positions of posters like Tommasso and Bambooneedle, I certainly don't begrudge their willingness to say it, even it it seems a bit nonsensical.
My points themselves were fairly clear - that, compared to the media, EC is expressing his honest position with feeling, so good on him. And, that it included a recognition of how twisted Bush & co's logic has been. If I could have expressed them in fewer words that's my issue. Your saying that you "can't really understand" my "position" is exclusively yours.
I wasn't aware that there were any posters like bambooneedle. Or like Thomasso. And why would you ever need to say you don't begrudge somebody's willingness to say something I wonder... OR (and while!) that "it seems a bit nonsensical" to you, which again would be your issue. But your main issue is that you're full of it.
Ghost of Ray

Post by Ghost of Ray »

Okay. I'm full of something. No reason to get excited.

My point is that I read your posts, but I often cannot figure out what you are trying to say. Probably me. Haven't been around long enough to make gross generalizations.

Maybe I should have kept my mouth shut on the adrenal gland issue. I started off on a bad foot. I know a little about adrenal glands, and I reacted to the misinformation.

Don't hold it against me. I can feel my corticosterone levels risin', and my epinephrine blood titers are spiked. I can either fight, or
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Don't feel alone, I can never figure what he's on about.
signed with love and vicious kisses
verena

Post by verena »

Ray, you sound cross and hurt. No need here.

There is an army of posts which I don't understand. Sometimes this is unsettling, but I just let it snow. Cause there is no way one can understand without interpreting at some point. And contrary to the common view, the context cannot enlighten you really. Basically the context is made of objective information (which one may not have), the rest being what one can "see" (including perceive, guess, imagine, etc...). And as I'm sure you know, we only see what we "want" to see (including are able to, can face to, etc..).

Don't fight a lost battle, if you don't get it, move on !!!
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Anthony Minghella, the director of "Cold Mountain," has died.

Oscar-winning director Minghella dies