Elvis On Madonna

Pretty self-explanatory
Helios

Elvis On Madonna

Post by Helios »

I did a search & couldn't find this on-site, yet. I hope it's not a repeat post - it's pretty amusing:

ElvisOnMadonna-IrelandOnline
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

Slow day on the entertainment news front over at IrelandOn-line?

Elton John: "Madonna best live act? Fuuuck off!" Now that's a proper swipe.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

I couldn't disagree with EC more on this one. I think Madonna is a terrific singer who has worked very hard to become better. Compare her electronic chirp on 'Borderline' with the mature and emotional vocal she recorded for Evita. I think 'Like a Prayer' is one of the best albums of the 80s and an artistic triumph to boot. Now clearly, Madonna has always been about a LOT more than singing, and some of her artistic choices have been somewhat regrettable, but I find her to be an interesting, provocative performer, willing to take chances and challenge her fan base. Kind of like............EC?
Extreme Honey

Post by Extreme Honey »

pophead2k wrote:I couldn't disagree with EC more on this one. I think Madonna is a terrific singer who has worked very hard to become better. Compare her electronic chirp on 'Borderline' with the mature and emotional vocal she recorded for Evita. I think 'Like a Prayer' is one of the best albums of the 80s and an artistic triumph to boot. Now clearly, Madonna has always been about a LOT more than singing, and some of her artistic choices have been somewhat regrettable, but I find her to be an interesting, provocative performer, willing to take chances and challenge her fan base. Kind of like............EC?
Madonna may be all that you state but please don't compare her to EC...
Preacher was a talkin' there's a sermon he gave,
He said every man's conscience is vile and depraved,
You cannot depend on it to be your guide
When it's you who must keep it satisfied
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

I'm not comparing what I perceive to be the quality of their respective body of work- I'm comparing the way they have challenged their audiences, which is totally different. I would put Prince, Neil Young, and Tom Waits in the same category. Each with different strengths, but each with courage to chart their own territory. I would certainly say that Elvis' challenges to his audience have been far less calculated than Madonna's, but all the same she has refused to be safe, and some of her choices have flopped (the Sex book, American Life, all of her films save one or two). Most of us who love Elvis applaude him for the chances he takes. I choose to applaud other artists who take similar chances.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I agree with Elvis on this one but the quote looks like one of those taken out of the full context quotes.

I don't think I would deign to call Madonna a terrific singer. I've seen Madonna twice in concert and she ain't singing and dancing at the same time. Terrific? Hmm.

She's an excellent showperson and has constantly reinvented herself. Particularly in her current stately home role.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

From the title of this thread, I was hoping for something more salacious.
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

I agree with Elvis on this one but the quote looks like one of those taken out of the full context quotes.
The quote is from Elvis' interview in WORD - here's the full quote

“I look like I’ve been dragged through a hedge
backwards but I wear suits because I’ve just never
felt like a t-shirt kind of guy. Since I was 18. A
t-shirt is something to sleep in on a cold winter’s
night. When you haven’t got your Winceyette pyjamas.
Suits aren’t a fashion thing. I’d never have my teeth
fixed though. The gap in the middle is probably a
crucial part of the sound of my voice. It’s supposed
to indicate sensuality? Really? Well, there’s a few
other singers with gaps in their teeth — Ray Davies,
Madonna. That’s actually a contradiction. Madonna’s a
dancer, not a singer. She’s a very good song and dance
woman, but it’s about the whole package and what you
can persuade people to believe.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

' Winceyette pyjamas'.........saucy!

http://www.brocklehurstsofbakewell.co.u ... jamas.html

100% cotton winceyette
Button front jacket with single pocket
Tie cord waist on trousers
Machine washable
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

It's Glenn Hoddle!
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

Mike Boom on Madonna : "talentless slut".

Thankyou and goodnight.
echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load
Extreme Honey

Post by Extreme Honey »

Mike Boom wrote:Mike Boom on Madonna : "talentless slut".

Thankyou and goodnight.
Hahahahaha, Rock on Mr.Boom!
verbal gymnastics

johnfoyle wrote:The quote is from Elvis' interview in WORD - here's the full quote

“...I’d never have my teeth fixed though. The gap in the middle is probably a crucial part of the sound of my voice...”
And I guess that answers whar's concern too :lol:
Helios

Post by Helios »

I am the cheese. I hadn't hoped I would wind anyone up, really, I just liked the quote and I didn't think he was being mean. It was obviously something out of a conversation, but that's Contact Music for you. I was on a bit of a jag the other day.
Now, Elton John.. he ruffled some hardline Madge fans. ;)
sabreman

Post by sabreman »

I remember EC mentioning Madonna singing out a key at the Grammy's. He likes to poke fun at her it seems. I believe she comes up in one of his songs around PTC or GBCW.
anjabro

Post by anjabro »

She gets a mention in the middle of 'Gods Comic' on a bootleg I've got...

He says he's written a song for her, but he can't play it because " I don't know all of the chords....",

and he can't be mean about her because she's pregnant now, which is a shame because the song was called 'Couldn't you keep that to yourself...'
verbal gymnastics

sabreman wrote:I remember EC mentioning Madonna singing out a key at the Grammy's. He likes to poke fun at her it seems. I believe she comes up in one of his songs around PTC or GBCW.
So despite the public slagging off we can expect Elvis to turn up and do a song for her 50th birthday in a few years time because "she asked". Or does that only happen with Sting?
Extreme Honey

Post by Extreme Honey »

verbal gymnastics wrote:
sabreman wrote:I remember EC mentioning Madonna singing out a key at the Grammy's. He likes to poke fun at her it seems. I believe she comes up in one of his songs around PTC or GBCW.
So despite the public slagging off we can expect Elvis to turn up and do a song for her 50th birthday in a few years time because "she asked". Or does that only happen with Sting?
I hate sting. I really, really do. Sorry to everybodt who might be offended by this, and also the idiots who listen to sting :lol: . Anywayyyy...I'd like to know the song in PTC and GCW that mentions Madonna.
I don't know why Elvis pokes at her so much, she was hot back then! And hey, if he didn't *mind* Bebe during that time why is he complaining about Madonna, she's a frekin' angel compared to BEBE lol. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid= ... fer=europe

Kaiser Chiefs May See Music Sales Soar on Brit Awards Triumph

( extract)

Feb. 16 (Bloomberg) -- The Kaiser Chiefs can expect their record sales to rise after the north England rock band won three honors, including best British group, at the 2006 Brit Awards for popular music, retailers said.

Madonna received one of the night's warmest greetings from the crowd, and thanked British artists who have influenced her including David Bowie, Portishead and Elvis Costello.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/culturevult ... brits.html

Culture Vulture at the Brits

( extract )

It's distinguished Pet Shop Boy Neil Tennant in a dinner jacket. Possibly Madonna personally requested the most English Englishman available to present her with Best International Female. Having given Guy Ritchie the most cursory of pecks, she delivers a bizarre speech about how much she loves Merrie Olde England and David Bowie and Elvis Costello and Graham Greene and Elgar and Noel Coward and Dick Van Dyke in Mary Poppins and fish and chips and Oyster cards and the staff down at the old Dog & Duck, Gawd bless 'em.
Turquoise Pajamas Pt Deux

Post by Turquoise Pajamas Pt Deux »

I'm probably way off with the intent of the lyric here, but "Sleep of the Just"?........"or is it immaterial girl." A cute play on words for the Material Girl? Just a thought, but it's 2AM here and my mind is not fresh :) She definitely fits the mold of the tawdry lass described in the song.

Maybe I'll just go to bed now. :idea:
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

"Sleep of the Just"?........"or is it immaterial girl."
Your quite right there, TP a definite dig.

Madonna was the prototype for Britney et al and showed them all how with only a minute amount of talent and lots of tits and ass you can whore yourself to the top of the pop ladder these days.
echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load
verbal gymnastics

johnfoyle wrote:http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/culturevult ... brits.html

Culture Vulture at the Brits

( extract )

It's distinguished Pet Shop Boy Neil Tennant in a dinner jacket. Possibly Madonna personally requested the most English Englishman available to present her with Best International Female. Having given Guy Ritchie the most cursory of pecks, she delivers a bizarre speech about how much she loves Merrie Olde England and David Bowie and Elvis Costello and Graham Greene and Elgar and Noel Coward and Dick Van Dyke in Mary Poppins and fish and chips and Oyster cards and the staff down at the old Dog & Duck, Gawd bless 'em.
Expect "her people" to be talking to "Elvis' people" about a collaboration. No doubt there's soon be a reference in an interview about how they talked about a project when they were sat together at Elton's civil ceremony but their diaries were so full and how people managed to miss what an icon she is and how he's always thought Madonna's irony has been missed by the masses yadda yadda yadda
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

So Elvis charmed Maddy at her Grammy party - hence Brits awards comments explained !

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a ... 006/NEWS01

Designer blends in at party for the stars

Local interior designer Barry Lantz partied with Tom Hanks, Rita Wilson, Faith Hill, Tim McGraw, Bruce Springsteen and NicoleKidman after the 48th Annual Grammy Awards on Feb. 8.

The group showed up at Madonna's private, post-Grammy party at the Beverly Wilshire Hotel.

How did Barry rate an invite to such a swank soiree?
Truth is, he didn't, but apparently that means nothing in entourage land. Besides, Barry is such a charmer.

Seems the Hoosier was in Los Angeles and found himself in an elevator with this group of celebs. He got swept up in the excitement and, well, just strolled into the party with them.

It was straight out of an "I Love Lucy" episode, Barry reports. He stayed about two hours, having fun, and no one ever questioned him.

Other big names in the crowd included Keith Urban, Elvis Costello, Christina Aguilera, Lisa Marie Presley and Ellen DeGeneres, Lantz said.
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

I actually like Madonna and think she sounds pretty cool!!!!!!!!!....I just hate her new video where she has to show her old lady ass in tights off constantly. She fucked us all when she started the trend of having to lay poon tang on the line to sell records. Now we have a bunch of hot chicks who can't even sing and have to lip sync on stage who rule the radio waves and MTV. Yes I wish my girlfriend was a freak like the PUssyDolls or whatever they call themselves....but I don't want to listen to their bullshit....although their video could be alright to wank to late night after I've smoked a bowl.........that does not mean they are good....JUST KIDDING about the jackery. :lol:
I'd never leave the house if I had a Gimp