Isnt it Ironic?

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Mike Boom

Isnt it Ironic?

Post by Mike Boom »

No, Alanis -

But in good old NZ there is an ad for a bank on TV at the moment that uses The Verves "Bittersweet Symphony" as its background music.

The fact the lyric contains the line "your a slave to money then you die" obviously passed them by.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Or maybe not!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

They heard "watch this space" and thought, ah!, we've got our jingle...
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Okay, well that comment of mine made no sense at all as it was reffing a Sneaker Pimps song by accident, from that same time. Hey, I was loony with fatigue. Anyway, yes, it is ironic, and very sad.... I like those guys, despite how horribly overplayed BS was here. I saw them live, they were good.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I've heard/seen "Bittersweet Symphony" used in at least ten different ads over the course of the past three or four years.

This is nothing new :D
DrJ

Post by DrJ »

Well you see it's like this...

That orchestral/violin riff/motif on BSS is a sample from Andrew Loog Oldham's orchestral version of Jagger/Richards' The Last Time. The sample was used without permission and Alan Klein came looking for his money with the end result that Bittersweet Symphony is now credited to Jagger/Richards and published by ABKCO.

Thus The Verve, as well as losing all the lovely royalties, lose the control over whether the song (or more specifically, accurate rerecordings) can be used in ads.

Life's cruel, non?

DrJ
Tlentifini Maarhaysu
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Yeah, but they should have been less naive about it. Richard Ashcroft is a limited tosspot in my book, but The Drugs Don't Work is a classic which for me justifies his entire career.