"taboo" thoughts (Beware: explicit content and hum

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

verbal gymnastics wrote:What irks you my child?
It's psycho-overexposure and it often feels like he's not showing me anything much new now.
staggerlee

Post by staggerlee »

Time to go listen to XTC for a while, then.
I think you'd better hold your tongue — although you never were that strong.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

BlueChair wrote:And the TV stuff? Ugh. Two and A Half Men was about as embarrasing as you could get. Though he did a great job guest hosting Letterman
I don't think we in the UK have had the pleasure. Elvis acting is awful. Frasier and Larry Sanders spring to mind here.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

selfmademug wrote:FYI, piss ants are, well, ants. Not a clever pun on peasants who pee (unless Boo's making up something new) though that would be rather good.
'Pissant' (yes, one word) is a common anglo slang noun. It pertains to stuck up small minded people who don't know in what to place their loyalties.

I never found the value of the deliberate ambiguity of some sarcasm to be very high. It's tedious quick... Sarcasm generally is rarely used effectively, and the other part of the ordinariness' usage is quite (and veritably) common.

-adjective: of a pissant-like quality eg. "what a pissant driver you are, Harold".
Last edited by bambooneedle on Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

Ooh, honey
Fill me with your little whispers
Store your little nightmares
Of a generation set to burn

Come on honey
Let's go for a ride...

- Pissant
The Smashing Pumpkins
echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Here it's used more generally to mean an annoying jerk. I don't hear it used much here now, but it was a pretty common insult when I was a kid.
bambooneedle wrote: the other part of the ordinariness' usage is quite (and veritably) common.
I have absolutely no idea what that means.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

bambooneedle wrote:the other part of the ordinariness
That was a reference to Otis. So Lacklustre was the first part of the ordinariness, ever living up (or rather, down) to his self-named name.

A person going well by the description I gave would have a very high likelihood of behaving like an annoying jerk, so it's that kind of connotation.

Staggerlee, where could I start with XTC (the beginning?)?
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Otis, ordinary? I can't begin to comment on that! I took his 'treacherous little shit' comment to be affectionate teasing. I think you may need to find a less paranoia-inducing variety of weed... and perhaps you can share some with me when you get it?

In any case Boo, dunno what's up (with) you but in answer to your original taboo post, I for one get plenty sick of Elvis at times. I've never thought of him as someone who'd make a good friend or role model, but damn he's a great singer songwriter. I like a lot of his music more than most other music, which is to say I love his music. But he comes in and out of my musical rotation, as I'm sure he does with most folks here, fanatics though we may be.
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

The Philosopher's Song
(Monty Python)

Immanuel Kant was a real pissant
Who was very rarely stable.
Heidegger, Heidegger was a boozy beggar
Who could think you under the table.
David Hume could out-consume
Schopenhauer and Hegel,
And Wittgenstein was a beery swine
Who was just as schloshed as Schlegel.
There's nothing Nietzsche couldn't teach ya
'Bout the raising of the wrist.

John Stuart Mill, of his own free will,
On half a pint of shandy was particularly ill.
Plato, they say, could stick it away
Half a crate of whiskey every day.
Aristotle, Aristotle was a bugger for the bottle,
Hobbes was fond of his dram,
And Rene Descartes was a drunken fart:
"I drink, therefore I am"
Yes, Socrates, himself, is particularly missed;
A lovely little thinker but a bugger when he's pissed!
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

selfmademug wrote:Otis, ordinary? I can't begin to comment on that! I took his 'treacherous little shit' comment' to be affectionate teasing. I think you may need to find a less paranoia-inducing brand of weed...
It didn't look like good value to me... I won't comment any further on that. And, I don't hardly smoke that stuff much anymore... now that I'm training for the Sydney City-toSurf I'm getting plenty natural highs.
selfmademug wrote:In any case Boo, dunno what's up (with) you but in answer to your original taboo post, I for one get plenty sick of Elvis at times. I've never thought of him as someone who'd make a good friend or role model, but damn he's a great singer songwriter. I like a lot of his music more than most other music, which is to say I love his music. But he comes in and out of my musical rotation, as I'm sure he does with most folks here, fanatics though we may be.
I'm interested in the mysteries of songwriter's artistic methods, it's intriguing about good songwriters. I don't care that much about Elvis' personality, but rather am interested in how he uses it in his art. For now, it's for the better I think that I give him a rest (do so pretty frequently to different degrees) for probably several months. Side note: I don't know what moron told Otis that I was after sympathy.
Last edited by bambooneedle on Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Since we are in the middle of a thread that has devolved to a pee-pee/caa-caa/poopy-pants "I know you are but what am I" exchange, and since I am well-qualified to respond as I have been the target of some of the best verbal/written flamings to grace these digital pages, I would like to go on record as saying that my stay and continued contribution to this forum is in spite of the subterranean "wit" (using the term loosely) of SLL.

When the general platform for humour is directly at someone else's expense, it is cowardly and trivial. Those that celebrate it are shallow, and instead of standing up to mean-spirited comments, they capitulate in the hopes of gaining some sort of wierd acceptance of the board regulars.

Clearly, SLL is a brilliant, talented person. But to use that intellect to inflict spiteful pain on others is pitiful. Sad. Lonely. Driven by fear. ANd I wonder if what they say is true: that anonymous personas are typically diametrically oppossed to the actual personality of the individual. Not rue in Bobsters case. Not true in Misha's case. I met these guys are they are delightful, energetic, talented people who have personal conviction and real empathy for others.

There is only one Master of Life and Death. Be careful when you judge someone to the degree that you wish them a fate to burn in hell. Especially honorable, brilliant people who dedicate their lives to goodness. Be careful what you wish for. What goes around...

The elvis costello fans forum has taken a strange turn in the last few months. It was predicated long ago. There will be a self-proclaimed board elite (sounds really silly, doesn't it?) that would edge those of dissenting opinions about ANYTHING away fromcontributing by a number of devices:

1. Ridicule and Scorn, and/or;
2. Humourous retorts with double entendres that attempt to strip the original post of its intent, and/or:
3. Refusing to contribute to, or recognize a thoughtful post or milestone because the poster is not part of the board elite.

Hey, I get it. It is an anonymous forum. Substantive contributions come from so many. My life has been enriched by this forum, as I have learned lots of things that I otherwise would not have known, and my music collection is strengthened because of the great recommendations of so many. But the spiteful crap is really so juvenile.

Now before someone goes back approaximately 18 months ago and researches an angry post that I made, don't waste your time. I apologized for the transgression and took full accountability. Which is much more than I can say for the really 'witty" one's who enjoy a laugh at the expense of anothers pain.

And Bamboo, can I borrow that word: "Ordinariness". I love it. I would probably use "Ordinariesque" in its place, but never "Ordinarioid". Seriously, I love words and I love the colloguillisms that develop because of these types of variations on a word. It is the stuff of dialect. Just ask any of the Virginia-based contributors why they "Cut-on and Cut-off" the lights?
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

In Texas, a pissant is an ant that, when stepped upon, gives off a foul (some might say "urinesque") odor. It's used as a put down as well, to imply a worthless person (i.e. "I'm can't believe I'm going to lose the governorship to some pissant former baseball owner, son-of-a-Bush."--Ann Richards).
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

There is only one Master of Life and Death.
Satan is real too, you can hear him in songs that give praise to idols and sinful things of this world.
You can see him in the destruction of homes torn apart.
I know that Satan is real.
For once I had a happy home. I was loved and respected by family.
I was looked upon as a leader in my community.
And then Satan came into my life.
I grew selfish and unneighborly. (and lost all spelling ability)
My friends turned against me and finally my home was broken apart.
My children took their paths into a world of sin.
Yes it is sweet to know God is real and to know in him all things are possible.
And we know Heaven is a real place where joy shall never end.
But sinner friend, if you're here today, Satan is real too.
And Hell is a real place.
A place of everlasting punishment.
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
Boy With A Problem

her name is Denise - she lives in Utica - in upstate New York - I know someone who knows.
Boy With A Problem

Clearly, SLL is a brilliant, talented person. But to use that intellect to inflict spiteful pain on others is pitiful. Sad. Lonely. Driven by fear. And I wonder if what they say is true: that anonymous personas are typically diametrically oppossed to the actual personality of the individual.
SLL is a fly motherfucker that would have no problem telling you to go burn in hell right to your face... he's not exactly anonymous and has plenty of personal conviction and empathy. He just doesn't suffer fools gladly.

Clearly, Mr. Average is a brilliant, talented person. But to use that intellect to inflict pompous drivel (his views on religion, politics and Pat fucking Metheny) is pitiful. Sad. Lonely. Driven by fear and a deep seated self loathing. We can only hope, that in Mr. Average's case that his board persona is diametrically opposed to his actual personality.

thanks for helping me with the verbage and syntax Mr. A, but please refrain from calling me a "coward" when I don't respond to your overlong retort.
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

Boy With A Problem wrote:
Satan is real too, you can hear him in songs that give praise to idols and sinful things of this world.
You can see him in the destruction of homes torn apart.
I know that Satan is real.
For once I had a happy home. I was loved and respected by family.
I was looked upon as a leader in my community.
And then Satan came into my life.
I grew selfish and unneighborly. (and lost all spelling ability)
My friends turned against me and finally my home was broken apart.
My children took their paths into a world of sin.
Yes it is sweet to know God is real and to know in him all things are possible.
And we know Heaven is a real place where joy shall never end.
But sinner friend, if you're here today, Satan is real too.
And Hell is a real place.
A place of everlasting punishment.
Speaking of Charlie & Ira, be sure to check out August's Being There because I pay some serious props to these guys in it.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

I am a man of high moral
Although religion I find most foul
I like to write some comic verse
Which may be rude and be terse
It is not meant to offend or cause affront
If you think that it is you're a bit of a cunt
I poke some fun at the most verbose
And all he does is give us another dose
I deny being a brilliant and talented geezer
I just like a laugh and to be a bit of a teaser
I better finish this bollocks before it goes bad
Oh, and Bambi smells and Mr A is a cad
I strive not for popularity but a few laughs, no less
But I just end up with all this ordinariness

So fucking pissantly Lacklustre X X X X

Was it Oscar Wilde who responded to the claim that Sarcasm was the lowest form of wit with the riposte "..Ah yes, but the highest form of intellect..."
signed with love and vicious kisses
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Well thank you fellas for the entertainment. I didn't see the new Ricky Gervais number 'Extras' tonight, but I doubt it would have made me laugh as much. The rhymme in line 6 of SLL's verse is pure, er, poetry.

Actually, 'treacherous little shit' is a quote from someone unpleasant connected to me through work. I thought I'd better share it with you.

Keep the laughs coming.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

staggerlee wrote:Time to go listen to XTC for a while, then.
Before Elvis was represented the most in my CD collection there was XTC.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

Mama, Mama!! Maryellen called me a piss ant!! What's a piss ant, Mama?
In case you don't recognize that, it was from the tv show the Waltons. Anybody remember that one?
Just a memory from my childhood that made me chuckle.

(I'm alone here, aren't I?)
:lol:
I'm not angry anymore....
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

SweetPear wrote:
Mama, Mama!! Maryellen called me a piss ant!! What's a piss ant, Mama?
In case you don't recognize that, it was from the tv show the Waltons. Anybody remember that one?
Just a memory from my childhood that made me chuckle.

(I'm alone here, aren't I?)
:lol:
Has anyone else got tumbleweed going across their screen? :lol:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
stormwarning

Post by stormwarning »

Let me see now...

John, Olivia, Zeb(ulon), Esther, John-Boy, Jason, Ben, Mary-Ellen, Erin, Elizabeth and Jim-Bob-yer-pants (as we used to call him).

It was compulsory Monday night viewing (BBC2, 8.10pm) in the home of the young Stormwarning, whose very first crush was on the pre-pubescent, pre-butch Mary-Ellen.

Goodnight everybody!
Where's North from 'ere?
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

Ah, so I'm not alone here.
I don't know if that's good or bad! I mean, ya know.....the Walton's!
A kid could get teased mercilessly for having watched that show.
I'm not angry anymore....
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Actually, 'treacherous little shit' is a quote from someone unpleasant connected to me through work.
Well, that's convenient information for the public to know at this stage...! It don't apply to HE, he they call
bambooneedle on a shellac of Chopin.
Last edited by bambooneedle on Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

So Lacklustre wrote:Was it Oscar Wilde who responded to the claim that Sarcasm was the lowest form of wit with the riposte "..Ah yes, but the highest form of intellect..."
So where do you come in?