Jethro Tull

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
laughingcrow

Jethro Tull

Post by laughingcrow »

Anyone on here like Jethro Tull???????

I went to their gig in the Manchester Apollo on Thursday night, and it was ace! They did a brilliant spanish guitar version of Faure's Pavane, Ian Anderson was brill, jumping around with his flute and doing all sorts of crazy dances. ''Sitting on a park bench!!!!''

AquaIntro,
Living In The Past,
Nothing Is Easy,
Beggar's Farm,
Eurology,
Farm on the Freeway,
A Christmas Song,
A Week Of Moments,
Weathercock,
Misére,
Mother Goose (w. extended instrumental),
God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen,
Pavane,
Songs From The Wood/ Too Old To Rock'N'Roll.../Heavy Horses,
My God,
Holly Herald,
Aqualung,
Wind Up,
Locomotive Breath,
Cheerio
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

While "Benefit" remains my all-time favorite JT lp, I recall memorizing the lyrics to the consecutive lp releases of "Thick as a Brick" and "Passion Play", which collectively featured two songs...really long songs.

As I worked on my distance running endurance, I would start at the beginning and 'play' both Thick as a Brick and Passion Play through my head...reciting every lyric as I ran. This was in the days when Sony Walkman's were novel new devices and they were roughly the size of refridgerators.

I especially liked a song on Living in the Past called "Dharma for One". 'Scuse me while I wonder off into the garage and recite it now that you have gone and made me think about these things again!

I think that Ian Anderson missed the window that Sting fell through by about a decade. He was far ahead of his time, and some audiences are just now catching up to some of the wonderful songs that he has written. The live performances were legendary when I was young. I had no idea that some variant of the original band was touring.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

It was just Ian Anderson and Martin Barre from the band of legend...

Classic line by M Barre...''Hello, my name is Martin, I am 57 years old, an my hobbies include trainspotting and playing the guitar.'' 8)
AlmostBlue

collaboration / reccomendation

Post by AlmostBlue »

yes, and thanks for the listing.. it would be interesting to take this further. In other words, similar to BlueChairs's request for your EC top 10, take all of the members top ten groups.
If you do an ontology analysis via the web on EC and Jethro and Dylan, you get:
Elvis Costello
Bob Dylan
Jethro Tull
The Beatles
Pink Floyd
Clash
Modern Lovers
Lucinda Williams
David Bowie
The Soft Boys
Elton John
Bjork
Radiohead
Nick Lowe
White Stripes
Chris Isaak
Wall Of Voodoo
The Moody Blues
Van Morrison
Rolling Stones
Led Zeppelin
Neil Young
Beatles

You can do a similar analysis with the mentions that EC made durinf the Hall of Fame speech, using Schubert, Joni Mitchell, John Lennon, bob Dylan:

Glenn Tilbrook
Radiohead
Jason Wells
Howlin' Wolf
Paul McCartney
George Harrison
Elton John
Ry Cooder
Beatles
rem

It might be interesting to hear what classical composers are liked here:
for me, it is Berlioz, Brahms, Schumann, Schubert, Bartok, Mahler.

The bottom line is, I am lazy, and I am guessing some board members have similar taste, and I would like to "discover" "new" music.
Some things that came up through Elvis are Lowe, Burnett, John Cale, Brian Eno, Sexmsmith, Joni Mitchell (Refuge of the roads), Lucinda Williams, etc.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Hi AlmostBlue.....where are you from in Denmark?

How did you get that 'ontological' search?
AlmostBlue

Post by AlmostBlue »

laughingcrow wrote:Hi AlmostBlue.....where are you from in Denmark?

How did you get that 'ontological' search?
When there it is close to Copenhagen, around Glostrup, but I am in no way from Denmark, or Danish. I took out the bottom of the signature, which was just pasted for fun. I am semi-fluent in spoken, but horrible with written Danish, but get there often enough (from California, or "Colliefornia" as our new governer calls it) .. to keep it up.

There is quite a bit of research on the acquisition of hyponyms, i.e.:
http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/hearst92automatic.html

I hacked a very user-unfriendly tool to do the comparison against alltheweb.com and vivisimo.com
MegJS

Post by MegJS »

I like Jethro Tull and I just adore The Secret Language Of Birds by Ian Anderson. Anyone heard it?
Libraries filled up with failed ideas
There's nothing more for me there
I trust in tender ink and gentle airs
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

The only Tull song I've heard is Heavy Horses, from a friend's dad's record when I wasn't even in my teens yet. Liked it but obviously didn't have enough pocket money to check everything out in those pre-net days.

Then heard Iron Maiden's cover of Cross-Eyed Mary and thought it wasn't as good as their original songs of that era (Piece Of Mind), but were probably wrong. I now realize that was twenty years ago. Oh God I'm old.

A year or so ago I heard that Dave Pegg - who must've been influential for young Bruce Thomas, I'm guessing - used to play with them (still does sometimes?) and so figured they were back on my checkout list. Now they're further up.

So you're saying Thick As A Brick is a good place to start?

What's the best record with Pegg?
Last edited by King Hoarse on Thu Jun 09, 2005 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What this world needs is more silly men.
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

Dave Pegg, who is also famous for being the longtime bassist for Fairport Convention who of course boasted one Richard Thompson on guitar and vocals, joined Tull quite late, probably the best album he is on is Broadsword and the Beast, which is pretty good - but if its the best Tull album your after try Stand Up, Benefit, or Aqualung if you like heavy blues based rock a la early Zeppelin - Thick as a Brick or Passion Play if you like long extended concept albums - Songs from the Wood or Heavy Horses if you like your rock all folked up. Thick as a Brick is probably their ultimate achievement, a fantastic record,lyrically and musically.
echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

There were bits of JT I liked at the time; Passion Play was kind of cool. But I can't listen to even those first six notes of Aqualung without lunging for the radio dial, lest I puke my guts out... sorry...
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

Thick and Broadsword are downloading as we speak, courtesy of the nice guys and dolls at Pirate Bay. Will let you know.
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

I LOVE JETHRO
I'd never leave the house if I had a Gimp
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

The only album I heard in full was "Stormwatch" just because it was one of few LP's by UK/US bands released over here under communist regime. Actually I might still have the LP in some bottom drawer.
Does it rate high in their catalogue ?
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
Chrille

Post by Chrille »

I really like Songs from the Wood, but that's the only one I've listened to besides Aqualung, which I don't care much for. I like alot of progressive rock though.
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

IP, I forgot about Stormwatch - its a pretty good album - they have made better albums , but it has some great songs on it - Dun Ringill and Flying Dutchman are classics - so I guess it would be towards the top of the heap but not exactly in the top ten. Bear in mind they have released a LOT of records over 30 plus years.
echos myron like a siren
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

I just listened to Thick As A Brick and Aqualung, thought I recognized the former, and realized I saw a band probably covering the whole LP last year, thinking it was their original music. I remember being impressed by some of the songwriting but wondering why such great players would go for such an outdated sound. Now I know.

Aqualung...Not concentrating on the seemingly ambitious lyrics, I'm amazed at how silly they sounded. It's like Spinal Tap really HAD a Stonehenge era. Not that I mind silliness, though, far from it. Thick As A Brick sounds positively Pythonesque!

I'm listening to Broadsword now and liking it a lot more than I expected. I'm really attracted by the nerd factor here. (maybe trying too hard to be one)

Anyhoo, being a bit of a folk nut I'm guessing Songs From The Woods and Heavy Horses will be the records that really grab me, if any.
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

KH, yeah, the whole of TAAB is pretty much a sendup including the famous "newspaper" album sleeve in which the 'St Cleeve Chronicle" reports on 8 year old child prodigy Gerald Bostock who is supposed to have written the lyrics - the band used to wear outrageous costumes onstage and the whole thing was very theartrical and indeed Python were a huge and acknowledged influence on the band.

echos myron like a siren