My secret shame

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

At least they were the original recordings I had on those K-Tel albums. And I did treasure those albums, because they were all she would let me buy. I referred to them as "damn K-Tel albums" because I wanted albums from other artists and she wouldn't allow me to buy them. I remember she promised me once if I would pull up weeds in the yard that she would let me buy Goodbye Yellow Brick Road - I pulled weeds and never saw that album. She did let me also buy movie soundtracks, again, because she saw them as bargains - Saturday Night Fever, etc.

A friend of mine from my childhood neighborhood bought one of those albums from TV that had other recordings of hit songs - it was just horrid! One of the songs was "Hey There Baby I'm Your Telephone Man." :lol:
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

They marketed them fakes under the 'Top of the Pops' brand over here, I had at least one in my christmas stocking.
signed with love and vicious kisses
bobster

Post by bobster »

Wow, sounds like I dodged a musical bullet or two there... :D
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

(I like ELO too!)

Some of the first records I ever listened to were of course Donny Osmond, Bobby Sherman, David Essex and David Cassidy. I'm not too embarrassed about those because I was like 10 years old.

But here's a few that make me want to curl up and die........Helen Reddy, Chicago, Neil Sedaka and Tony Orlando and Dawn.

(God help me)
I'm not angry anymore....
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

You can place your request for God's Help directly through Helen Reddy, as she evidently has a direct connection to Her...
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
strangerinthehouse

Post by strangerinthehouse »

FOREIGNER, FOREIGNER, FOREIGNER.
And you try so hard
to be like the big boys
@shellacandvinyl
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Foreigner. I have the vaguest recollection of seeing them back in the 80's. The drugs blotted most of it out.

K-Tel! I had one of those - I may still have it. Chick-a-boom was on it. don't you just love it?

I have too many guilty secrets. Sean Paul is one of them. I heard Gwen Stefani and Eve on the radio at A Local Bigass Grocery Store, and that made me do things no fat white woman should ever attempt.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

El Vez, my punk band even recorded a medley of Manowar's Black Wind, Fire & Steel and the Cranberries' Zombie ten years ago. And we rehearsed it again last night. I even bought Sign On The Hammer on Japanese import (different cover; a must have) when I was twelve.
What this world needs is more silly men.
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

King Hoarse wrote:El Vez, my punk band even recorded a medley of Manowar's Black Wind, Fire & Steel and the Cranberries' Zombie ten years ago. And we rehearsed it again last night. I even bought Sign On The Hammer on Japanese import (different cover; a must have) when I was twelve.
You're like my Swedish counterpart except that you have actual musical talent and no prior convictions.
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

I have more than one Connie Francis cd.
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
Branst

Post by Branst »

Many people would probably think I'm uncool for having Phil Collins albums but I really never saw why others hated him so much. I really dig a majority of his music from his Genesis days til now.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

I guess I'll file this under secret shame, but only to my punk rock friends. I am a huge fan of Gary Lewis and the Playboys. Boy did these guys crank out some hits in the 60s. Everybody Loves a Clown, Sealed with a Kiss, This Diamond Ring, Count Me In, She's Just My Style, Sure Gonna Miss Her, etc. etc. Great studio musicianship and some nice vocals from Jerry Lewis' son. Musical geeks, check out the accented triplets in the bridges from 'Count Me In'. Sold Gold, baby.
bobster

Post by bobster »

Pophead -- I understand Gary Lewis is considered a genius in France.

More comments to come!
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

Concerning ELO - The albums 'New World Record' and 'Out Of The Blue' are excellent. Anyone who doesn't agree with my position......may you all burn in HELL! :D

REO Speedwagon is also top-notch
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Meatloaf rocks.

We had a daggy compilation called '79 Through The Roof!, had some disco stuff on it. That's almost what happened when perving at topless sunbathers from the surf club dressing room roof that year...
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

ice nine wrote -
REO Speedwagon is also top-notch
oh dear.
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
VonOfterdingen

Post by VonOfterdingen »

British old school rock-band, Thunder. Love' em.

Just discovered that they have made a new album
I'm not buying my share of souvenirs
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

"Bless Me father for I have sinned:"

There was a Canadian Band called "Charlee" that produced a great rock album in the mid 70's sometime. Instrumentally, it was 'fierce' (from "Curb"). There was another band with the same name at the time spelled Charley, so I may have the two mixed. One of the song titles was something like "Let's Keep Silent" or "Just Keep Silent". The album is unavailable, but I listened to it the other day and I still appreciate it.

I was a big fan of the first two "Captain Beyond" albums, both unavailable. Listening now to them, I can't figure out why I was so enamored with this band. One or two different sounds...

I love the first three Robin Trower albums, especially "Bridge of Sighs". Not sure where he stands in the rankings of good guitarists, but I sure like him, good or bad.

Finally, I loved the first album by a band called Starcastle, a YES knock-off, when I was about 18. I can't listen to it today.
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

I can't read!!
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

I was on drugs.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

i have just about everything on this thread including the album above. my gary lewis and the playboys records are 45s and bought new by a 7, 8, 9 year old. oh and so much more, the road runners, funny lady, quarterflash, hootie and the blowfish, goodbye cruel world...
I'm not concerned about the very poor.
bobster

Post by bobster »

I once owned the soundtrack to the musical version of "Lost Horizon"....the film that was so bad it was practically the final nail in the coffin of the film musical and reputedly broke-up Burt Bacharach and Hal David....

Recently paid good money and drove 30 miles to Hollywood to see it (it's not available on home video right now, you should all be reassured). Haven't seen it since I was 11 --when I liked it...but then I'd never seen the classic 1937 Capra film then.

In any case, the dramatic portions of the film were pretty lame, but not drastically bad. Typical 70s' disaster movie dialogue -- appropriate as George Kennedy was among the all-star cast, which had such great musical comedy stars as Liv Ullman, Peter Finch, and Sir John Gielgud as "Chang" (!)

The musical sequences, and the songs, are another matter. It would be interesting to hear what someone with a strong musical background would dissect the pretty obvious degradation of imagination that tooks us from the genius of a song like "Walk on By" to the endless, madness inducing idiocy of "The World is a Circle" or -- the closest the film has to a show stopper -- "Question Me an Answer" (performed by moderately talented singer/hoofer Bobby Van, best known for appearing on such 70s game shows as "Match Game" and "Tattletales" game shows with his wife, Elaine Joyce).

Had to immediately go home and get rid of the bad taste by watching my DVR'd "It's Always Fair Weather" (which is even greater than I remember but, sadly, also unavailable on DVD at the moment...)
Tim(e)

Post by Tim(e) »

I guess the closest I come to cheeseworthy in my collection would be an LP by ABC... although I always considered them (and still do) to be one of the only "new romantic" bands to have any talent at all.

On ELO, I only ever had time for them when they were known as The Electric Light Orchestra and had Roy Wood (from the Move - wonderful band) working with Lynne. Lynne and Wood were as good a combination as Lennon/McCartney and Jagger/Richards in my opinion. Unfortunately, once Wood departed and they became just ELO, that was the end of them for me.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Branst wrote:Many people would probably think I'm uncool for having Phil Collins albums but I really never saw why others hated him so much. I really dig a majority of his music from his Genesis days til now.
Well his drumming on John Martyn's Grace & Danger LP, and in particular on the immortal Sweet Little Mystery, is top notch, I'll give you that. Somehow I feel he missed his true vocation as a session musician and nothing more.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Phil Collins...brilliant drumming on Brand X debut album "Unorthodox Behaviour" and the follow-up "Morrocan Roll". Absolutely spellbinding drumming. Underscores the wise comments of Otis Westinghouse about Philly Cream Cheese (close relative of Suzi Creamcheese) as a session drummer.

"whooooooo could imagine............."