Elvis explains Nieve absence etc.

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Elvis explains Nieve absence etc.

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.shorefire.com/artists/ecoste ... 29_05.html

"I'VE ALWAYS WANTED TO SEE ATHENS..."

Elvis Costello & The Imposters take time out from "The Monkey Speaks His Mind Tour" to play three unique dates, billed as "Elvis Costello and the Pick-Ups" with special guest Dave Hidalgo

*Rhino Records will reissue Costello's album KING OF AMERICA on April 26, featuring his first collaboration with Hidalgo*

Elvis Costello & The Imposters will take time out from "The Monkey Speaks His Mind" tour to play three special dates billed as "Elvis Costello and the Pick-Ups," featuring Pete Thomas, Dave Faragher and special guest Dave Hidalgo from Los Lobos. The dates are :

April 24th - ANNAPOLIS,MD, Rams Head Live
April 26th - NORFOLK, VA, The Norva
April 27th - ATHENS, GA, Classic Center

The Imposters' keyboard player Steve Nieve will be absent from these shows as he has to travel to London for the initial recording sessions of his opera, "Welcome to the Voice." Costello explains, "Steve was only able to schedule several key singers on these particular days and I know how tricky the process of realizing something like this can be. We wish him well with the sessions." Costello appeared in the World Premiere of "Welcome to the Voice" at Town Hall, New York in 2000.

Speaking of the shows with The Pick-Ups, Costello said, "Rather than stand the rest of the band and crew down for that week, I decided to have a little adventure. We were delighted when David accepted our invitation to join us for these three shows. I've always wanted to see Athens. I hear that they have some great ruins."

"It is the first time that I have played in a two-guitar line-up since 1980 and it will give us an opportunity to play some different songs. In addition to being a great guitar player, David is a terrific singer and songwriter. He also plays a number of other instruments, so the show should contain plenty of surprises".

David Hildalgo first collaborated with Costello, as a harmony vocalist, on the 1986 album, "King of America." On April 26, Rhino Records will release a two CD version of "King of America", containing many unreleased outtakes and alternate versions plus excerpts from a live concert.

In 2004, Costello contributed a version of the Hildago/Perez song, "Matter of Time" to Los Lobos' collaborative collection, "The Ride". The song has been in Costello's repertoire since 1985. Los Lobos recorded Costello's "Uncomplicated" on their recent "Ride This: The Covers" E.P.

Steve Nieve will return to the U.S for Elvis Costello and the Imposters appearances at the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival on April 30 and the Beale St. Festival in Memphis on May 1.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've always wanted to see Athens. I hear that they have some great ruins."
Elvis , you are SO witty - I bet no one has made that joke before...

Weclome To The Voice -

http://www.knittingfactory.com/articles/get_feature.cfm?

Bell Atlantic Jazz Festival: Steve Nieve talks about his new opera “Welcome to the Voice” feat. Elvis Costello

Welcome to the Voice, an opera written by Steve Nieve and Muriel Téodori with Elvis Costello singing the male lead and also featuring the Brodsky Quartet, will make its world premier June 9 at Town Hall.
“This desire, to tell a story in music, is eternal,” long-time Elvis Costello collaborator Steve Nieve explains.

“What is an opera? For some it’s a torture--men in white tights taking two hours to die in a language you won’t understand. When Muriel Téodori gave me this lyric to set to music, I had no idea I'd be even more interested by the subject five years on.

“We began to write Welcome to the Voice in 1995 at Huntsham Court, a hotel in Cornwall, with a composers name on each door and a harmonium in every room. We completed our work at the Colombe D'Or, a hotel in the south of France with a Miro in every room. "The simplicity of the story is that all the action occurs in one place, outside in the street, in front of an opera house that we never penetrate. There is no death at the end. There is a strong message of optimism. The story is concerned with the notion of the hybrid and this is reflected in the orchestration--classical string quartet chained to a score alongside a pianist and saxophonist who have freedom to improvise.

"With Welcome to the Voice, the female singers have classical opera voices and the male singers do not. This is an opera about unlikely encounters. Elvis is the ideal singer for the main character of this opera, because in spite of all the work he has made with his voice, it still contains the quality of authenticity. His voice is wild.”
verbal gymnastics

Re: Elvis explains Nieve absence etc.

Post by verbal gymnastics »

johnfoyle wrote:http://www.shorefire.com/artists/ecoste ... 29_05.html

"It is the first time that I have played in a two-guitar line-up since 1980 and it will give us an opportunity to play some different songs. In addition to being a great guitar player, David is a terrific singer and songwriter. He also plays a number of other instruments, so the show should contain plenty of surprises".
Is anyone on the board going to any of these shows? :mrgreen:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

johnfoyle wrote:"It is the first time that I have played in a two-guitar line-up since 1980"
Looks like the Confederates and Rude 5 have become the victims of a Stalin-esque historical purge.....
sabreman

Post by sabreman »

I will be attending the Rams Head Live show but it is in Baltimore not Annapolis. The original Rams Head is in Annapolis.

http://www.ramsheadlive.com/baltimorelive/
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Looks like the Confederates and Rude 5 have become the victims of a Stalin-esque historical purge.....
Perhaps Elvis means to emphasise that this will be a keyboard free lineup unlike the the Rude 5 and the Confederates outings. Back in 1980 he toured without Nieve (he was recovering from a car accident , as told about in the Trust re-issue sleevenotes -

http://www.elviscostellofans.com/phpBB2 ... php?t=3468

We were on the Channel Island of Jersey, a deeply conservative tax-haven belonging to the U.K. but improbably close to the French coast. It was hardly the most likely location to be starting out on a European tour, but then this was hardly a typical tour. Steve Nieve had recently been injured in a car accident in Los Angeles, and I had taken the rash decision to take the road in a trio format.
Our opening-night concert, on the nearby island of Guernsey, had been a disaster that few of the traumatized audience members will talk about to this day. Having equipped myself with a terrifying stock of guitar pedals and a ferocious cocktail of mind-bending liquids, we stumbled through two more such wretched nights before enlisting the help of Martin Belmont, a guitarist from Graham Parker’s band, The Rumour. Once he arrived we went rampaging through Europe, occasionally finding the energy to play concerts featuring the two-guitar format that can be heard on one track of this, my fifth album (and sixth record release) in four years.
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

verbal gymnastics wrote:
Is anyone on the board going to any of these shows?
I am! Norfolk! April 26!
It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Password for Steve'e forum - 'password'

http://pub8.bravenet.com/forum/676852346/fetch/514706/

Name: Webmaster Nieve
Date Posted: Oct 2, 05 - 2:04 PM

Sorry the site is static. I have been working flat out, recording the opera I wrote with Muriel Teodori "Welcome to the Voice". Still things to do. Muriel and I will be recording the final sessions of WTTV in NYC in October (right after the Denmark Secret Songs). And just before the South American Tour with the Imps. We plan to mix the album by the end of the year.

I may remove parts of the site. Don't be alarmed, but I have no time for this at present....

Thank you for keeping the board alive,

Best,
Nieve
Extreme Honey

Post by Extreme Honey »

Do people in Greece listen to Elvis Costello? Or will the average greek go to the show thinking he's gonna hear something along the lines of Bob Dylan and his classics? Or do people in Greece actually know him and would love to hear "Radio, Radio" one more time? I'm confused :x
Preacher was a talkin' there's a sermon he gave,
He said every man's conscience is vile and depraved,
You cannot depend on it to be your guide
When it's you who must keep it satisfied
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

GA is not short for Greece. Lots of Greeks like Elvis, though. Perhaps not too many ex-Soviet Georgians. Still confused?

(the Pickups sound great on CD, b.t.w.)
What this world needs is more silly men.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

hahaha
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.