EC at Grand Prairie, Texas March 15

Pretty self-explanatory
legman open to offers

EC at Grand Prairie, Texas March 15

Post by legman open to offers »

Anyone else going to this show? I'm meeting up with bassist from Olivers Army at the venue. Noiseradio is out of town (too bad). Grand Prairie is void of watering holes, so it'll be Lonestar draft I'm sure.

I've sprung for the extra special seats for this one. Row 2 at the worst. My Elvis wienie is really starting to vibrate getting closer to the show.

PM legman if you are going.
Now I'm the invisible man, and you can't see me.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

No can do, legman, but I wish I could. I'd just follow Elvis around to every show if it were possible.

Have a wonderful time and please bring back a full report. :)

Too bad Noise is missing this. :o
legman open to offers

I know you would be here if you could Spooks.

A mere few hours away now. I'll report later.

loto
legman open to offers

I'm back to the house now after.

I'm still coming down from the show. EC's seemed to be strong. He cupped his mouth to the mic a few times, the effect sounded good not broken.

A few songs he played tonight I haven't seen on recent setlists.

My seat s were choice, second row center on the aisle, Elvis kept motioning everybody up so I went. My setlist is accurate up to 20 songs, and right in front of him I was so things are from memory after that.

It's almost 1 am and am whipped. I looked for the meet and greet but I think they left for Austin and didn't get out.

My best recollection:

King Horse
Uncomplicated
Clown Strike
Man Out of Time
Button my Lip
Country Darkness
Needle Time
Brilliant Mistake
Hurry Down Doomsday
Either side of the Same Town
Chelsea
Radio Silence
Heart Shaped Bruise
New Amsterdam
Kinder Murder
When I Was Cruel
Watching The Detectives
The Delivery Man

Memory from here on:

Monkey to man
Bedlam
Pump It Up
There's a Story in Your Voice
Why Don't You Love Me Like You Used To Do?
Alison/ Suspicious Minds
Unknown (Help!) :oops:
PLU
Scarlet Tide... He sung a verse off mic. I heard it fine as close as I was, but I can't believe it got out too far.

Sorry if I've missed something. Somebody fill in the gaps if you can.
wwallace

Post by wwallace »

I got last minute tickets to the Dallas show and drove from Austin to Dallas and back again...its 3am here now, but I'm still coming down off the show.

I have the rest of that setlist. I remembered paper and a pen this time!

King Horse
Uncomplicated
Clown Strike
Man Out Of Time
Button My Lip
Country Darkness
Needle Time
Brilliant Mistake
Hurry Down Doomsday
Either Side of the Same Town
Chelsea
Radio Silence
Heart Shaped Bruise
New Amsterdam (!)
Kinder Murder
When I Was Cruel
Watching the Detectives
The Delivery Man
Monkey to Man
Mystery Dance
Why Don't You Love Me (Like You Used To Do)
There's A Story In Your Voice
Pump it Up
Love That Burns
Bedlam
PL&U
Alison/Suspicious Minds
Scarlet Tide

Brilliant Mistake and New Amsterdam were both brilliant and unexpected. Kind of a false start on Man Out of Time, as if the band didn't quite know what EC was trying to play.

Another excellent show! With luck I'll make it in to the club show tomorrow night in Austin. More on that later...

-Will
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

Wow, that's a fantastic setlist.
What this world needs is more silly men.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

STAR-TELEGRAM/JILL JOHNSON
Elvis Costello got the crowd going with Watching the Detectives.

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/entertainment/11159081.htm

Posted on Thu, Mar. 17, 2005

Just can't get enough Elvis

By Robert Philpot

Star-Telegram Staff Writer

Well, you can't accuse Elvis Costello of just playing the hits. During his Tuesday night concert at Nokia Theatre, Costello did get around to fan faves such as Alison and Pump It Up -- but not until he dug deep into albums from each decade of his 28-year recording career.

You could, however, accuse him of letting the music do too much of the talking -- for a little while, anyway. Granted, it's hard to complain about this when the songs are as good as opener King Horse, with its cascading keyboards, or (I Don't Want to Go to) Chelsea, with its chunky funk. But too often, Costello and his band, the Imposters, stuck close to the recorded versions, not stretching things out or messing with arrangements.

The usually chatty Costello was also uncharacteristically reticent, reserving his marks for a few easy-target jokes at Grand Prairie's expense. All this was forgivable, because Costello's voice was at a full, rich peak. Hearing him Tuesday night was to again be baffled by critics who say that he can't sing. And the Imposters -- nonstop keyboardist Steve Nieve, muscular drummer Pete Thomas, steady bassist/backup vocalist Davey Faragher -- played with gun-at-the-back intensity; especially the typically manic Nieve, who also made wizardly use of such oddball instruments as melodica and theremin.

Every time the show promised to burst open, though, it felt like a tease -- until somewhere in the second hour, when a lengthy, grimy version of When I Was Cruel segued into Watching the Detectives, one of Costello's most popular songs.

Even Costello's most erratic albums contain great songs, and that he could cram so much into two hours and still make you miss stuff is a wonder.

GRADE: B+
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.dallasnews.com/s/dws/fea/ent ... 1a63e.html

Elvis Costello a rare treat

12:02 AM CST on Thursday, March 17, 2005

By MANUEL MENDOZA / The Dallas Morning News

GRAND PRAIRIE – Almost 30 years ago, Elvis Costello swept onto the pop music scene on punky energy and a flood of angry, despairing words. Yet beneath his signature snarl and roiling band, there was always a classicist.

The connections between his singular brand of rock 'n' roll and traditional blues, country, jazz and rockabilly were keenly demonstrated during a relentless two-hour performance at Nokia Theatre on Tuesday night. His latest album, The Delivery Man, is steeped in American roots music, and he juxtaposed those new songs with similarly inspired material from his vast catalog, along with the occasional cover.

Elvis' one-of-a-kind voice can carry just about any tune on its own, but Delivery Man ballads stood out ("Country Darkness," "Needle Time," "Heart Shaped Bruise," and the title cut) because they gave his conversational phrasing and way with a minimalist hook space to play.

That's not to say the rockers didn't also deliver, but especially early in the set the sound bounced around the huge hall, creating many a muddy moment. Elvis and his fine band fought through it, rarely stopping to catch their breath. He never even unbuttoned his suit, his tie remained pinned against his neck, and he only took a drink of water before the last song, a sweet, partially off-mike rendering of "The Scarlet Tide."

He often paired tunes thematically. In fact, the night hit its stride halfway through the show when the jazzy noir of "When I Was Cruel No. 2" gave way to his classic noirish rant, "Watching the Detectives." He followed that a few minutes later with the rave-up "Mystery Dance" segueing into Hank Williams' rollicking "Why Don't You Love Me (Like You Used to Do)?"

While Elvis spent most of his time onstage pumping out music, he paused once in a while to joke with the crowd. Local references abounded. He needled the Grand Prairie setting for its nowhere-ness. During the other Elvis' "Suspicious Minds," which he performed in a medley with "Alison," he briefly mimicked the King. He also kidded that he was wearing a cowgirl outfit under his suit.

And during "Pump It Up," Steve Nieve, whose tinkling piano and gurgling organ work often took the lead parts, played a snippet of the Dallas theme.

Elvis performed some of his bitterest early songs, including "(I Don't Want to Go to) Chelsea," and he continues to mine what he once called "emotional fascism" – the muck of relationships. Without condemning him to some kind of corny maturity, his newer work does show a greater generosity toward the human foibles he once mocked.

To witness that breadth in one evening was a rare treat.

E-mail mmendoza@dallasnews.com
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

This show is now being torrented here.

SETLIST
1. King Horse
2. Uncomplicated
3. Clown Strike
4. Man Out Of Time
5. Button My Lip
6. Country Darkness
7. Needle Time
8. Brilliant Mistake
9. Hurry Down Doomsday
10. Either Side Of The Same Town
11. (I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea
12. Radio Silence
13. Stage banter
14. Heart Shaped Bruise
15. New Amsterdam
16. Kinder Murder
17. When I Was Cruel No. 2
18. Watching The Detectives
19. The Delivery Man
20. Monkey To Man
21. Mystery Dance
22. Why Don't You Love Me (Like You Used To Do?)
23. There's A Story In Your Voice
24. Pump It Up
25. Love That Burns
26. Bedlam
27. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love & Understanding?
28. Alison/Suspicious Minds
29. The Scarlet Tide
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Sorry I missed this show. Everyone I know says it was great. Next time.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare