AMERICAN IDIOT

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

More Replacements gold.........

I need a God damn job
I need a God damn job
I really need a God damn job
I need a God damn job

God dammit
God dammit
God damn, I need a God damn job

I need a God damn girl
I need a God damn girl
I really need a God damn girl
I need a God damn girl

God dammit
God dammit

God damn, I need a God damn job
Right now right now

An honest job, if I can find one
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

The whole blueprint for punk was written by Iggy Pop by or prior to 1973. Discuss.

I'm sadly ignorant of the Iggy and Stooges record, but I was amazed when I finally heard Raw Power how comprehensively it covered the punk syllabus. In the same way the Eno said of Bowie's Low that each track had spawned the career of a different artist, Raw Power is one moment the Ramones, the next the Dead Kennedys, the next the Pistols, etc. Doncha agree?
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

The more I listen to this album the better it gets! I think its going to be one of my all time favs. The quality of the music is superb!
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
Otis Westinghouse

A fellow Stiff Little Fingers lover said to me the other day 'that's where Green Day got it from', which is pretty true.
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

I don't think they'd deny that.

B.t.w. My band played Alternative Ulster as an encore on a tour of Germany a long time ago thinking that if the crowds weren't familiar with our songs at least they'll have something to sing along to. Turned out that's the song they stayed quiet on mostly. What's the matter with kids today? (or yesterday, really) I guess our version must have sucked.
What this world needs is more silly men.
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Wow...I failed to make the connection between my old Stiff Little Fingers vinyl ("Go For It") and Green Day, but it does work.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

Wow, very interesting reading, people.

Don't really care for all the lables, but I suppose it;s unavoidable. They pretty much mean nothing to me.
I never thought of EC and A's as new wave. What the heck is that anyway? I suppose I did think of certain types of bands as new wave like A Flock of Seagulls or BowWowWow....stuff like that.

I love GreenDay and have ever since I heard their first underground stuff. They were totally kick ass....they just totally crashed the scene of the times. I thought of them as little corporate sell outs.........but who cares? Good for them. They were what thet were.
BJ is a great songwriter and he's got quite a few gems under his belt. He's managed to swerve in and out of the mainstream (ie. Good Riddence)
but he's got plenty more to offer.
I've taken my teenage son and his friends to see them and American Idiot was a big gift given in our house this past Christmas.
I have evey single record they've made and have seen them more than a few times and they are still at the top of their game. They are the top.
American Idiot is a great disc! Just like all the other GD records it flows and I find myself listening to it all the way through and rarely, if ever, skipping a song. I love Holiday too!

Another great, great band is the FOO FIGHTERS. Dave Grohl is absolutely amazing. Totally amazing, so freaking taleneted. I worship those guys because they're totally incredible. Their records are flawless. I have never been disappointed whether it's a record or a live show.
And the last video they made for All My Life (Is that the title?) w/the black and the band in red silhouette......that is the coolest video I have ever seen.

I'm also starting to feel this way about Audioslave. Anybody else a fan?
I'm not angry anymore....
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

I purchased the first Audioslave album but felt like I was listening to a rehashed meld of STP, Soundgarden (not surprising), middle-era Pearl Jam. It sounded technically good, but nothing new. There is still a place for this sound, but from their first album I didn't think they were hitting it.
From the first listen I could have sworn that I had heard elements of all of the songs before.
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

I agree about the Foo Fighters being a great band, even though The Colour & The Shape is the only CD of theirs I play frequently. Grohl is funny, smart and obviously musically talented. Comes up with great riffs. And he seems to be in the position where he can do anything he wants and won't be pigeonholed. Still haven't heard his metal allstars project, though - is it as good as it seems?
What this world needs is more silly men.
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

I agree w/you Mr. Average on your assessment of Audioslave. My attraction to their sound, I'm sure, has something to do w/me being a big Pearl Jam(not so much anymore though), Soundgarden, STP fan for a long time. I think Chris Cornell has a fantastic voice.
(Not to mention his super hottness. :wink: ) Audioslave also has a couple of cool videos too.
I've also kind of taking a liking to Velvet Revolver, I'm sure for the same reasons mentioned above. Their latest single is pretty cool, don't know the name of it.

The Colour and the Shape is the disc of the FF that I play the most too. Dave Grohl is definately all of those things and he sure does have his hands in everything. Haven't heard the Metal Allstars project yet either.
I look forward to it.
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Funny. I never recognized Chris Cornell for his "super hotness" ("What about them Bears, helluva team, helluva team!). I do appreciate his golden throat, however. He is a great vocalist in this genre.
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

Mr. Average wrote:Funny. I never recognized Chris Cornell for his "super hotness" ("What about them Bears, helluva team, helluva team!). I do appreciate his golden throat, however. He is a great vocalist in this genre.
:lol: :lol:
Otis Westinghouse

Talking of Dave Grohl, reviews of the new Queens of the Stone Age LP seem to have been very positive overhere, basically that Josh Homme is a great musical talented and the songs are very well drafted. I loved the single that DG drummed on, can't remember the title. Don't know more than that, really.
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

I believe Dave Grohl did the drumming on that entire Queens of the StoneAge record (Songs for the Deaf). I think the two singles were No One Knows and Go With the Flow. That was a really great record.
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

A coworker finally "caved" (his description) and bought the Green Day CD today, and let me borrow it for a spin through the headphones. It was better than I expected, since I hadn't been impressed with "Blvd of Broken Dreams" (but it sounds much better in this context). Anyway, I hear lots of nods to other musicians, most pointedly the Who ("A Quick One While He's Away"), the Jam (first two albums), Mott The Hoople via Bowie ("All The Young Dudes") and Meat Loaf. I'm impressed by how far they've come musically, rather then play a riff loud for the verse and repeat it louder for the chorus. Haven't decided if I need to own this album, but I'm glad I finally heard it.

Now, back to my corner.
clairequilty

Post by clairequilty »

Gotta admit that this record is growing on me immensely.

Being a Bush fan, the overt slant at first was hard to swallow.

But the record is pretty damn great still. Hell, Green Day becomes the Posies halfway through this record, and that's a good thing!

Never wanted to like this band. But I'm a junkie for melody. Either BJ has lost his stoopid fake accent, or I've grown ammune.