Elvis selects fave of '04

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Elvis selects fave of '04

Post by johnfoyle »

http://enjoyment.independent.co.uk/musi ... ory=595794

The Independent , London.

You rock my world
Who are the artists' artists of the year? From Alex Kapranos of Franz Ferdinand to the R&B singer Jamelia to the chanteuse Françoise Hardy, the stars reveal to James McNair the records that have been the soundtrack to their past 12 months

24 December 2004

Elvis Costello, singer-songwriter

Real Gone by Tom Waits

This is my absolute favourite. This one lets us see Waits detached from the words "gravel", "gutter" and "gin-soaked". Behold the righteous anger of "Hoist That Flag", the Turkish mystery of "Trampled Rose", the mad roll call that closes "Don't Go Into That Barn", and the frightened sanity of the soldier in "The Day After Tomorrow". There is real beauty in this record; the elusive ear of Kathleen Brennan [Wait's wife and musical collaborator] in the heart of the words; son, Casey, on traps; and the untameable guitar of Marc Ribot, who once described a track as, "like rock and roll after America has been conquered by a Small African Republic". It's all here, and "Horse Face Ethel" and her marvellous "Pigs in Satin".

Related -

Françoise Hardy, singer-songwriter

The Girl In the Other Room by Diana Krall.

The tunes are of excellent quality and she plays piano with great sensitivity. My performer of the year would be the beautiful Katie Melua. I saw her play "The Closest Thing to Crazy" on French television, just her and her guitar. Très minimalist and completely mesmerising.
BlueChair

Re: Elvis selects fave of '04

Post by BlueChair »

johnfoyle wrote:Behold the righteous anger of "Hoist That Flag",
Erm, that's "Hoist That Rag," Elvis.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Love is:

Shamelessly plugging your wife's record.
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

laughingcrow wrote:Love is:

Shamelessly plugging your wife's record.
Haha, with songs that Elvis wrote and co-wrote on it.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

You've misunderstood the post, the article in the paper was a load of different people choosing their fave album of the year. EC chose Tom, and Françoise Hardy chose Diana.
signed with love and vicious kisses