Top ten music videos

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
laughingcrow

Top ten music videos

Post by laughingcrow »

More top tens listlovers...

1.Basement Jaxx - Where's your head at?
A man watches some apes played a banging choon..the apes start to get aggressive..the man runs, and finds a lab where man is merging minds with simian. No escape...we all become monkeys in the end! Brilliant brilliant track too.

2.Radiohead - Just
Lying down in public...why? Ask them and you'll be lying down too! OOh political....Genius!

3.Electric 6 - Danger! High voltage
Flashing crotches and a moose!

4.Peter Gabriel - Sledgehammer
Classic claymation around Pete's head...we all liked the rollercoaster bit best.

5.Dire Straits - Money for nothing
First video on MTV wasn't it....shitty graphics compared to Shrek 2 or something, but this video oozes cool. Watch it with a beer in your underpants.

6.The Verve - Bittersweet Symphony
'Mad for it' post-britpop waiflike songwriter gives it large to the UK public.

7.Queen - I'm going slightly mad
Thought the best Queen video was 'I want to break free'? Wrong! It's Freddy in this pun-filled black and white extravaganza. I think Im a banana tree. Nuff said.

8.Fatboy Slim - Weapon of Choice
One of the silver screens smoothest criminals flying round a hotel and doing a little jig...you'll never be able to watch The Deerhunter or True Romance properly again.

9.Michael Jackson - Thriller
Classic, Michael Landis thing....American Werewolf in Neverland. Chamone muthafucka!

10.Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - Don't come around here no more
Big Tom as the Mad Hatter drowns his ex in a big cup of tea.

Now you go.
Last edited by laughingcrow on Tue Jul 06, 2004 4:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
wehitandrun

Post by wehitandrun »

001. Possession - Elvis Costello & The Attractions
002. Shoulder To The Wheel" - Saves the Day
003. Ape Dos Mil - Glassjaw
004. Up The Junction - Squeeze
005. One Armed Scissor" - At The Drive-in
DrJ

Post by DrJ »

The new Cure video for their single "The End of The World" is excellent, and very Sledgehammery.

And the new Beastie Boys vid is great. Ch-check It Out. Plus all time great Sabotage.

White Stripes have made some good 'uns: Seven Nation Army, Fell In Love With A Girl and Hardest Button to Button.

Ditto Weezer: everyone remembers the Happy Days vid for Buddy Holly but the Muppets in the Keep Fishin' video be cool and the one take of Undone (The Sweater Song).

Uhhhhh, and Talking Heads.

And I've seen the video for "...This Town...", which is great.

DrJ
Tlentifini Maarhaysu
Tim(e)

Post by Tim(e) »

Agree with Weapon of Choice and Wheezer's Buddy Holly, to which I would add:

Cry - Godley and Creme
I Wanna Be Loved - Elvis Costello
Babe I'm on Fire - Nick Cave and the Bad seeds
Talking to a Stranger - Hunters and Collectors
Come Into My World - Kylie Minogue
It's Oh So Quiet - Bjork
Satisfaction - Devo
Wild Wild Life - Talking Heads (but I loved the film True Stories and I used to be an absolute karaoke hound)
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

chamone!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
I'd never leave the house if I had a Gimp
crash8_durham

Post by crash8_durham »

not sure I can think of 10

A-ha: Take On Me
Dire Straits: Brothers In Arms
Police: Every Breath You Take
U2: New Years Day
Micheal Jackson: Thirller (can't believe I am putting that on here but it is an amazing video
Elvis Costello: Veronica
Talking Heads: Once In A Lifetime (live)
B-52s: Love Shack
now for the last 2 eye candy videos
Jewel: Stand (for the shower scene)
Black Eyed Peas: Hey Mama ( I stand like a deer in the headlights watching that Fergie chick dance in those tiny red shorts)
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Some examples that come to mind right away

Central Reservation - Beth Orton. Warm breezy street scenes with Beth striding along in her way, smiling at everyone in her red thrift shop dress.

Spinning Around - Kylie Minogue. The short gold hotpants, club scenes, cocktails...

Dr. Feelgood - Motley Crue (has anyone mentioned The Crue on this site yet? I don't suppose so) Tribal bonfires in the background of I think a metal scrap yard with the bad boys doing their thing. I'm going by memory here and it's been a long while, but it was very professionally shot... it had effects like burning flames superimposed over the shooting to fade out sequences and all sorts of imagery like close-ups of tattoos, skulls and stuff...

Iggy Pop - Cry For Love. Iggy roams the streets looking all dejected, doing wild jumps and almost falling down. At certain points he stops in his tracks and points his digital fingers forwards to emphasize, "cos imitation's boring.... cry for love"

George Michael - Freedom. Had a mannered 80's supermodel flavour, but was entertaining, and not a bad sounding song.

Ben Harper - Always Steal My Kisses (Australian beachside afternoon scenes, driving in an old Holden... familiar images).

Who sings the song that goes, "the music sounds better with youuuu"? It's dance music. If it's in fact the video, it's about a group of three friends just having adventure at night on a night out in clubs and so on.

There are no doubt hundreds of excellent videos... some modern hip hop ones are absolute eye candy... everything's well designed, well-lit, great style and clothes, movie-like with great angles... and manage to convey so much more. I like videos that don't predominantly feature the artist. An effect that may return is the graphic use of written words, maybe popping out or drifting across... very 80's. Also seemingly gone are the kinds of sexually dominant front-on looks someone like Annie Lennox would give the camera... almost self-parodic, but very sexy and funny at the same time.

I've mentioned the doco accompanying INXS' 1992 album, Full Moon, Dirty Hearts. It features excellent videos of every song on the album, between interviews of the band about the music. They hired and co-operated with some film school students to tackle each song. The results are phenomenal videos. The videos and the songs do each other justice and the latter flow on the album without a pause (and several are frenetic and fast) remarkably well. It was their last excellent album and I'm hoping for a DVD release of this doco at some point.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Was there a video for This Town...awesome, what was it like? Ive only seen a handful of EC vids.
tallulah

Re: Top ten music videos

Post by tallulah »

laughingcrow wrote:More top tens listlovers...

8.Fatboy Slim - Weapon of Choice
One of the silver screens smoothest criminals flying round a hotel and doing a little jig...you'll never be able to watch The Deerhunter or True Romance properly again.
This is the first one I thought of! Love it.

Also love Express Yourself by Madonna and the Beastie Boys one where they run around dressed up as 70's style detectives. Oh, and Otherside by RHCP.

I will have to mull it over and make a proper list.
And I was happy to be alive, in a magic world.