the oxford show

Pretty self-explanatory
yourheropat

the oxford show

Post by yourheropat »

did everybody who ordered tickets online get them?

-Patrick
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Nope- couldn't get through, even at 10 on the dot.
yourheropat

Post by yourheropat »

ahh, damn...i'm sorry, maybe try tomorrow at 10 ( i think) for the memphis shows

-Patrick
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

The Daily Mississipian reports -

http://www.thedmonline.com/vnews/displa ... 976fab98fb
Costello plays Larry's this weekend

by Palmer Houchins
DM Senior Staff Writer
March 30, 2004

Grammy Award-winning Elvis Costello, a virtual luminary in the last quarter century of popular music, will be appearing for two rare club performances Friday and Saturday at Proud Larry's.

Costello's appearance in Oxford and a two-night, four-show stint at the Memphis club Hi-Tone open and close a two-week recording session at Oxford's Sweet Tea Recording aimed at creating a follow-up album to his last outing, 2003's "North."

Costello has tapped Sweet Tea owner Dennis Herring, an accomplished producer, who has worked with such acts as Counting Crows, Jars of Clay and Modest Mouse, to helm his new project.

Costello's current bass player, Davey Faragher, logged time with Herring on records with Buddy Guy, Cracker and Camper Von Beethoven.

The Proud Larry's gigs mark Costello's first ever appearance in Mississippi.

His last performance in the Mid-South was a 1994 show at Mud Island Amphitheatre in Memphis.

The British songwriter emerged in the late '70s with his debut "My Aim Is True," meshing the angst and hostility of the growing punk movement with a literate swagger.

Costello's passion and longing evident in his early music helped spawn the new wave explosion.

To his benefit, though, Costello's music is genre-less.

Drawing from influences as diverse as Tin Pan Alley, country, reggae and pop, Costello's musical palette is all the more vivacious.

Recently married to jazz dignitary Diana Krall, Costello, like any great artist, possesses a penchant for reinvention as evidenced by his deviations into jazz and classical music.

He's provided music for a handful of stage productions, mixing it up with a number of Shakespearean shows, as well as touring with a host of classical music outfits.

Costello, a member of the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, collaborated during the 1990s with Tony Bennett and Burt Bacharach, among others.

Costello and Bacharach's re-working of the classic "Never Fall in Love Again" was featured in "Austin Powers 2," which includes a cameo duet from the pair.

Most recently, Costello's song "The Scarlet Tide" from the "Cold Mountain" soundtrack was recognized for an Oscar nomination.

Tickets for the Proud Larry's shows go on sale at 10 a.m. today at Proud Larry's and Hot Dog Records.

Tickets are $25 and can be paid for by cash or check.

Starting today, tickets can also be purchased by credit card online at http://www.proudlarrys.com.

Proud Larry's is a 21-and-up venue.

Tickets for the string of Memphis shows each sell for $20 and go on sale Wednesday at Hi-Tone or online at http://www.musictoday.com.

Hi-Tone admits patrons who are ages 18 and up.
yourheropat

Post by yourheropat »

haha, sorry thats just funny, palmer, the guy that wrote that, is one of my best friends.

-Patrick
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Mike reports to list-serv -

FYI - Elvis and Steve were spotted today in Oxford and are ready to
start
rehearsals.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

I tried so hard to get tickets. I wanted them more than anyone knows. :cry:
yourheropat

Post by yourheropat »

i drove by the stuio and saw activity (cars and such) so i figured he was in town, i heard from a bunch of people who saw him out eating last night.

-Patrick
DrSpooky
Site Admin

Post by DrSpooky »

Sorry Spooky.. I wanted to be there with you. I certainly would have had the best looking bird on my arm. :D
migdd

Post by migdd »

Sorry to hear you couldn't score tickets, Dr. and Mrs. Spooky!

Has anyone on the board managed to get tickets to these shows? I sure hope at least one of the faithful will be able to supply an in-depth report of these one-of-a-kind gigs!
jillbeast

Post by jillbeast »

Twas able to get some tickets thank goodness...otherwise I'd have been stuck with a trip to Memphis and no Elvis and that would have been sad! So, yes...and I'll keep y'all posted if I hear of any extra tix.

Jill