What´s your favourite Van Morrison record?

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
girl out of time

Post by girl out of time »

Otis; moondance is one of my faves on that record, i can´t believe you ranked it as your least favourite......into the mystic is another fave too.....
.....as for madrid or barcelona......yes yes yes MADRID y olé!
...the promise of indulgence in my confidential voice approached inmortal danger but you´ll never know how close....
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Least favourite on side 1, that is. Better than anything on side 2. I almost never play side 2. Can't see the point.
HungupStrungup

Post by HungupStrungup »

Props to Mr. Boom for his special mention of It's Too Late To Stop Now, which I've been listening to a lot in the last couple of weeks. As live albums go, and for me they certainly do, it's a gem.
"But it's a dangerous game that comedy plays
Sometimes it tells you the truth
Sometimes it delays it"
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Least favourite on side 1, that is. Better than anything on side 2. I almost never play side 2. Can't see the point.
I'm the same. Side 1 is flawless. That foghorn sound when he says 'When that foghorn blows' gets me every time. Indeed, on cd that foghorn sound is seperated and no way as effective. I'm the same way about Bowie's Hunky Dory album. Side 2 does'nt do much for me, side 1 works all the way through. Vinyl's technical limitations imposed an artistic discipline on artists thats all too absent in these 80 minute cd days.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I dunno if I agree about Moondance's Side 2 being worthless. Sure, Side 1 contains the masterworks of the album, and ultimately the best songs of the record, but Side 2 is when Van gets playful and soulful, and that's what I love about Side 2. Even if these are not among Van's best songs, they are great fun to listen to, at least for me.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Give me side 2 of Hunky Dory over Moondance any day of the week! I love the pastiche numbers, but Bewlay Brothers is a career high.

Costello made a funny quip in Birmingham last year about how 'back in the last century this song would have closed side 1' on North, but I can't think which one he was referring to!
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more