Did I Love Franz Ferdinand?

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
selfmademug

Did I Love Franz Ferdinand?

Post by selfmademug »

Oh yes. I did.

On Otis's recco (bless him as ever, the amount of un-live-without-able music this character has brought to my life cannot be overstated, *MWAH*) I went and checked out this fabulous group o' youngin's at TT The Bear's Place, a classic Boston club that's not actually in Boston but in Cambridge, specifically in Central Square at an intersection that is now officially called Mark Sandman Square, after the late, great Morphine frontman. Dang that was a long sentence. Sorry.

Anyway, I don't know enough facts about this band yet (e.g., names of the members!) to give a detailed run-down, but let me just say they were awesome, and destined for greatness if there's any justice in this world. Incredi-fucking-ble energy, REALLY tight, great songs, sweet bouncy reg'ler guys. Okay it's true I have an infamous weakness for Glaswegians but that had nothing to do with it (they were too young for me in THAT way, and I'm sure they'll have supermodels soon anyhow).

They seemed genuinely amazed at the reception they got-- the crowd was nuts for 'em, and knew a bunch of their songs, notably the groovy and infectious TAKE ME OUT and the very sexy (and downloadable, from http://www.franzferdinand.co.uk) DARTS OF PLEASURE. Yes, please.

BTW I had a good if deafening spot at this show-- check out some pix at my fotolog site (hit the www link below; I'm sorry some people can't seem to get 'em-- Netscape issue mebbe?).

Okay, it is official, I am spoiled, cause I saw these guys tonight, and am seeing our Elv tomorrow AND Friday. And still I'd like better seats...
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

you are supposed to TELL me about these things!!!

though, yesterday, i was rather laid out w/ aches and pains. hoping it was just a one day 'oooh, i'm getting old' kinda thing.

i want to see Common Rotation at the paradise March 13, but might have to miss it to visit with friends in town instead. yes, they're fronted by Adam Busch who was a regular on Buffy - but they're actually quite GOOD. rock-folk kinda sound. often danceable.

see you tomorow. :D
... name the stars and constellations,
count the cars and watch the seasons....
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

They're touring over here in April but the whole tour is sold out solid and I can't get a ticket :( .

Everyone needsto get their album, it's a joy.
signed with love and vicious kisses
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Sorry to hear, SLL. And not to rub it in, but did you check the pix I took of 'em? I was rawther close. Wow it was great.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

It's weird how bands suddenly take off...they must have done a shed load of barfly type gigs all around the UK last year. I guess all that hard work gigging does pay off!

Other good indie Glasgow bands for SMM... :D

Future pilot A.K.A
The Cosmic Rough Riders

are both pretty cool.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Yeah, good pics mug.
signed with love and vicious kisses
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

So glad you went, SMM, and thanks for those lovely words. Like SLL (thanks again for your kindness!), I tried getting tickets all over, but no joy, so at least I managed to get you to go! My eulogy can be found somewhere on the 'recent CD purchases' thread. My only problem is that two days into owning their fabulous LP, I went to see Damien Rice live, and I have found it difficult to want to listen to anything else since.

No joy with the photos (in Int Expl). Just this: 'Sorry. The archive pages are undergoing maintenance right now. Please check back a little later.' So maybe I'll see them later on.
DrJ

Post by DrJ »

I have a ticket for April, the Dublin venue's been bumped up in size, it's still sold out though.

Saw the Fountains of Wayne last night, which was simply great. Best band in the world.

DrJ
Tlentifini Maarhaysu
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

DrJ wrote: Saw the Fountains of Wayne last night, which was simply great. Best band in the world.
Clearly you're suffering from the post-live delusional experience :lol:
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
DrJ

Post by DrJ »

Wha are the best band in the world today? Who are still touring and putting out records? Radiohead, I guess. U2, everybody loves U2. Errr, ummm, then Fountains of Wayne, it's obvious!

DrJ
Tlentifini Maarhaysu
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I think Wilco are a better band than Radiohead, U2, and R.E.M. combined.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
DrJ

Post by DrJ »

Good choice. Wilco. I'll give you Wilco.

DrJ
Tlentifini Maarhaysu
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I promise I will take good care of them :D
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I promise I will take good care of them :D
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

blue wrote:
"I think Wilco are a better band than Radiohead, U2, and R.E.M. combined."

that is a mighty statement.

so, what should i find by Wilco? 'cause i love Radiohead, U2 is great, and i adore REM.

tks! this place is great (or, not so great, if you think about the money spent) for expanding my cd collection.
... name the stars and constellations,
count the cars and watch the seasons....
DrJ

Post by DrJ »

You could always "try" them for "free" off the internet. Arrest Me Now!!!

There are four Wilco albums: A.M. is least essential, Being There is a double and has tons of personality and great music but is a little unwieldly, Summerteeth is the easy to take album of great songs, it'd be reasonable to start here then get album number four: Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, experimental but enveloping and compelling.

DrJ
Tlentifini Maarhaysu
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Actually, Wilco doesn't mean people downloading their music as much. If it weren't for downloads, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot would have had no audience in its first year and a half of existance.

But aside from that, I agree with Dr J. I'd also recommend starting with Summerteeth.

Beyond their four albums, Wilco also have two albums recorded with Billy Bragg, entitled Mermaid Avenue and Mermaid Avenue Vol. 2. Both albums have Billy Bragg & Wilco setting music to lyrics by Woody Guthrie that were never set to music. Typically the albums alternate lead vocals between Jeff Tweedy of Wilco and Billy Bragg. Mermaid Avenue is great, Mermaid Avenue Vol 2 is decent, but not essential.

Wilco have a 5th album coming out soon too.