I Don't Wanna Grow Up - Waits or Dylan?

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
taz
Site Admin

I Don't Wanna Grow Up - Waits or Dylan?

Post by taz »

I was driving with a friend of mine and listening to Tom Waits "I Don't Wanna Grow Up" and he told me that Bob Dylan wrote that song...true or false for my Dylan afficionados.
A lot of Christians wear crosses around their necks. Do you think when Jesus comes back he ever wants to see a fuckin' cross? It's kind of like going up to Jackie Onassis with a rifle pendant on.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

I thought Toys R Us wrote that song!
Like me, the "g" is silent.
pip_52

Post by pip_52 »

Its not credited to Dylan . . .
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

That's a Tom Waits original.
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Okay, apparently we're not talking about the one from PETER PAN then...
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Tom Waits from Bone Machine. Not Dylan.

If you don't have Bone Machine, you need it.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Good point, I don't, and obviously must. Gotta get behind the mule.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Bome Machine is so good. It's Tom's Let's Dance.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
taz
Site Admin

Post by taz »

I have Bone Machine and love it!! That was the confusing part, as I'm not a big Dylan fan I wasn't able to argue the point. Damn...gonna have to pop that cd back in the car... :D
A lot of Christians wear crosses around their necks. Do you think when Jesus comes back he ever wants to see a fuckin' cross? It's kind of like going up to Jackie Onassis with a rifle pendant on.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

I like Bone Machine better than Mule Variations -- it's got more spark. I remember being kind of disappointed with MV at first, I'd been eagerly awaiting its release for ages and I just didn't think it was different enough from BM... it felt like it had come out of the same mold, but not as quite as good. It's very good by the usual standards, but I was surprised that both El Vez and Blue Chair put it before Bone Machine on their lists.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I don't have Bone Machine yet. I've listened to some of it, and I think it's a little too heavy for me. I like the earthiness of Mule Variations. Plus it was my first Tom Waits album, so I have a massive soft spot for the weird album I listened to by fluke and fell in love with.
sulkygirl
Location: The Absolute Armpit of the USA--Yakima, Washington (***cough***)

Post by sulkygirl »

***sigh***

Maybe when I get that "raise", I can start researching Waits back catalog...

:oops:
"Love can be stranger than fiction..."
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Noise: good way to get me to demote BM from my 'must buy' list. I don't believe you though, and I will not be provoked.

I love MV. For me it was harking back to my fave TW LP, and one of my all-time faves, Rain Dogs, in terms of the lovely range of styles, the mix of tender ballads and nutty weird things with clanking dustbin lid percussion, etc. It's nowhere near as good as RD, but still good. I prefer it to Blood Money, which, considering the rave reviews it seemed to get, seemd very obvious to me, like he'd made it without really working at it, but maybe I need to play it some more. Haven't heard Alice yet.

I have to explore the early ones. I have Blue Valentine, but nothing before. Closing Time is a consistent high scorer, so maybe that's a good one for after BM.
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Noise: good way to get me to demote BM from my 'must buy' list. I don't believe you though, and I will not be provoked. .

:wink:
--William Shakespeare