Fox US blinkered view of UK

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
laughingcrow

Fox US blinkered view of UK

Post by laughingcrow »

Check this out...it's a real broadcast from fox claiming that the british media hate america...

http://blugg.com/stuff/foxs_view_of_the_bbc_player.htm

Half the facts are wrong, Gilligan never said any of that stuff about Iraq, and why does the fact that the UK media don't wear 'badges on their lapels' make them hate america?

This is not a joke..but it should be! What the hell is going on on this planet??????????
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Political Science
Randy Newman, 1972

No one likes us - I don't know why
We may not be perfect, but heaven knows we try
But all around, even our old friends put us down
Let's drop the big one and see what happens

We give them money - but are they grateful?
No, they're spiteful and they're hateful
They don't respect us - so let's surprise them
We'll drop the big one and pulverize them

Asia's crowded and Europe's too old
Africa is far too hot
And Canada's too cold
And South America stole our name
Let's drop the big one
There'll be no one left to blame us

We'll save Australia
Don't wanna hurt no kangaroo
We'll build an All American amusement park there
They got surfin', too

Boom goes London and boom Paree
More room for you and more room for me
And every city the whole world round
Will just be another American town
Oh, how peaceful it will be
We'll set everybody free
You'll wear a Japanese kimono
And there'll be Italian shoes for me

They all hate us anyhow
So let's drop the big one now
Let's drop the big one now
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
DrJ

Post by DrJ »

For the last few months Randy Newman's "Sail Away" album has been amazingly on the money for what's going on right now. I'll be seeing him live next week, I'll be curious to see what he has to say about all this.

DrJ
Tlentifini Maarhaysu
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Obviously noones even shocked by this....so a newsreporter claiming in a serious report that someone from another country is not worthy of them because their not made to wear a bloody enamel badge on their lapel is going to become a common occurrence now is it?

Hey you know what, I must be some kind of anarchist because I don't have a bumper sticker on the tail of my car proclaiming that I'm 100% something. :evil:

Where's A Rope Leash and Noiseradio...what do you guys think of this?
HungupStrungup

Post by HungupStrungup »

I'm no defender of Fox News, which is not worthy of being called a news network IMHO. We report you decide my ass! So no, I'm not shocked by such tripe from them. I haven't commented because I haven't the facts about what Gilligan (really, Gilligan?) did say. Just don't call anything Fox puts on the air "a serious report" and you'll be better off.

Anyway, you've got the "flags on their lapels" reference all wrong. The Fox guy isn't criticising BBC's reporters for not wearing them; he seems to be saying that the Beeb has in the past criticised American (or maybe just Fox) broadcasters who do.
"But it's a dangerous game that comedy plays
Sometimes it tells you the truth
Sometimes it delays it"
migdd

Post by migdd »

Fox News has a "blinkered" view of a whole lot of things! They are quickly becoming a mouthpiece for a certain section of the populace and an increasing embarassment to the rest of us.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

F*** Fox News. I have no problem with them as long as they admit what they are- a right biased outlet for carefully selected news. I get sick of hearing how all the other stations are lefties. I would be willing to admit that some of them are left leaning, but not to the extent that Fox is to the right (not leaning at all). This station is step one in mind control.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

I never saw the lapel remark in the context you've said, I suppose that could be true, but I don't remember anyone here critiscising Americans for wearing the little badges...

What really gets me is the really purile vitriolic way that he thrusts the lapel forward. It's like a jeering child 'na na na na na'.

The BBC are up their own arse undoubtedly, but this is just ridiculous. It's funny really...the sad thing is that some people in the US would be influenced (probably the same people who came up to me this summer when I was in the SW US and personally thanked me for the UK soldiers helping out in the Gulf...why thank me?), and so Fox News seem to have ignored any moral responsibility they might have had.
Tim(e)

Post by Tim(e) »

laughingcrow wrote:...(probably the same people who came up to me this summer when I was in the SW US and personally thanked me for the UK soldiers helping out in the Gulf...why thank me?)
And how did they know that you were from the UK... were you wearing a badge on your lapel? ;)
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

I think you guys are fooling yourselves if you think ANY mainstream news organization isn't blinkered. They report every 1/2 hour, and they have to have something people will watch. You think there's something really exciting and newsworthy every half hour? Of course not. So they make the mundane things seem important, they lace their reporting with their own corporation's bias (left or right), and they report 30 minutes worth of stories that are supposed to ftell you all you need to know.

Crap.

Walter Crokite used to end his broadcasts by saying "And that's the way it is." What a terribly egotistical thing to say. That 30 minute broadcast wasn't anything more than what CBS could get advertizers to pay to air. That's it. The propaganda is fast and loose on all the networks. Fox is offensively skewed, but so is CNN and BBC. They're just not skewed the same direction.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

That's a good point Noise, and I guess I'm more dissapointed that this kind of stuff is tantamount to racist propoganda, and if that influences one person in a negative way, that's a bad thing.

Tim(e)..they realised I woz british when they heard us speaking...either that or the fact I was waving a british flag and screaming 'We use to own you!' at everyone I saw.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Even CNN, which I respect a lot more Fox News, is really obnoxious with their "Osama Captured, CNN projects", "Schwartznegger Wins, CNN projects", etc.

They try to report news before it happens.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
bobster

Post by bobster »

All news outlets are biased, which is why I prefer those who announce their biases -- which is why I despise Fox News with a white-hot hatred.

I do,however, think the charge that CNN and the older US networks are skewed to the left is absurd. Dan Rather -- for some strange reason a bogeyman to many U.S. conservatives -- called for the bombing of Baghdad on David Letterman in the first days after 9/11. During the Iraq war, he did everything but jump into his own personal Harriar to bomb Saddam's palace himself and get into his own personal police car to go and bash a few protestors' heads in.

No, the "liberal" bias of mainstream US news is pretty much limited to a few social issues. They are pro-gay rights (shouldn't we all be??), they tend to be pro-choice.

However, this is a strand of a deep antagonism to populism or any other political ideas which may be beneficial to the poor or that in any way threatens to alter the post-Reagan status quo.

NPR MIGHT have more of a standard liberal (though definitely not far left --- that's Pacifica!) bias -- but they do have a great many thoughtful conservatives on the air. And they did spawn Cookie Roberts -- don't anyone tell me SHE'S a lefty!
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!