I am the only gay in the village

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Otis Westinghouse

I am the only gay in the village

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

For those in Britain and Ireland, or able to get it on BBC in other countries, isn't Little Britain the comedy programme of the year? My wife and I have beem splitting our sides since the first episode on BBC3. Even though exactly the same gag is used each week for the same characters (you know Dafydd, if that's right, will find himself surrounded by 'cock' only to cling angrily to his solitary gayness, you know Andy is going to insist on 'that one' and the moment he's wheeled out of the shop decide he doesn't want it, etc.) but it makes me hoot every time, and even on repeat viewings. Both Matt Lucas and David Walliams are genuinely talented - they both have a great range, as well as lots of funny ideas.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

''Yeah ah know''

:lol:

Did you see Lucas/Walliams 'Rock profile' ever Otis? It was shown on ukliving or something, and they just parodied singers dressed up as them....lucas as sean ryder/walliams as bez = brilliant!
Otis Westinghouse

Damn, damn, damn, no I didn't! Must look out for that, will surely be repeated now they're getting big audiences on BBC2. Sounds perfect.

'I love a bit o' choclit'.
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

Oh my. You're absolutely right Otis, funniest thing on TV. Even all the repeats on BBC3 are welcome. Oh, and I fancy David Walliams.

Yeah, but, no, yeah, but, I never done nuffin!

Better not tell Poppet Anthony Head/Giles plays the Prime Minister whose gay and extremely jealous assistant is in love with him. :wink:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/tv/little ... ndex.shtml
Otis Westinghouse

I was wondering who that actor was, didn't know, never having watched it, that he'd been in Buffy (and quite a few other things). If you fancy David Walliams, I'd say you and Poppet would both enjoy the scene where the PM is on the phone to his Japanese counterpart and DW strips off and hops into bed and then interrupts the call to lure him in.
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

PlaythingOrPet wrote:Better not tell Poppet Anthony Head/Giles plays the Prime Minister whose gay and extremely jealous assistant is in love with him. :wink:
pffft. i already knew that. what i've seen (snippets, screen caps) it looks dumber than doorknobs, but i guess i'm missing something important.

if i had my own copy i could decide for myself. anybody wanna gift me w/ videos that i could play?

hey, if you don't ask you don't receive. :)

if i had spare money i'd be over the pond january 6 for the opening of Pirates of Penzance in the West End - Tony is the Pirate King. It's playing in rep w/ Peter Pan, which has pretty much gotten panned in the press there. like i care. :)

my buds are getting together for the opening. folks are flying in from here, and travelling from around the UK, and probably Europe as well. they've got a full day planned. but, i can't go. :(
... name the stars and constellations,
count the cars and watch the seasons....
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

It is a superb programme. Even though I've already seen it on BBC3, I watch it on BBC2 on Monday and then turn to BBC3 to see another episode. I love it. The other character I like is the Scottish hotel owner with the flute but I also love Tom Baker's narrative.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Otis Westinghouse

Good to see you have the same routine as I do, Verbal.

'Have you heard of a thing called "buttherrrr"?'

There are other great ones too. I can't get enough of 'Anne' and that ridiculous 'eh ur' sounds she makes as she pours milk on the head of the visiting man in a suit, etc. And 'the lady' is wonderful too, wanting to embroider the lead 'testiclés' protector. I could go on all day. I couldn't believe how extreme the geriatrophile scene with something stuck in granny's throat was. Very close to the, er, bone.

Did anyone else notice that Vicky's voice in the dock last night was all wrong, much too low and masculine? It seemed really obvious. Maybe he had a sore throat that day.

It's a curious programme in that it focusses mostly on minority groups, the disabled, the mentally infirm, Welsh gays, the elderly, and gets rather politically incorrect laughs from them, and yet not in a way that seems reprehensible or offensive.

The narrative is very silly, but hilarious with it, and I love the silly place names ('Kelsey Grammar School' etc.). A great achievement.
DrJ

Post by DrJ »

A great show. Best new show this year. I can't wait for the inevitable DVD next Christmas.

Who here has seen "Look Around You"? Now out on DVD. 8 x 10 minute films done in the style of an 1980 schools programme full of non-sequituers and fake science. Brilliant.

DrJ

http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/lookaroundyou/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/tv/littlebritain/
Tlentifini Maarhaysu
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Otis - I actually find the geriatrophile sketches quite sickening...

...but the rest is comedy gold I tell ya!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Otis Westinghouse

I'd never even heard of Look Around You. have I missed a treasure. It looks ludicrous:

"SCIENCE stands for Super-Corroborative Information on Everything and Nothing in the Cosmos and Earth. That's a pretty wide-ranging subject, I'm sure you'll agree!"
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Yeah..Look around you was done by all-round top bloke Pete Serafinowicz (who also did the voice of darth maul in star wars phantom menace :lol: )...was ace...good call DrJ.

Anyone here like Spaced as well....brainchild of Tim Pegg, if you like cult references, bill bailey, comic books, or you quite liked Big Train...check it out.

http://www.spaced-out.org.uk

I just picked up the second dvd of Alan series 2.....anyone else like Im alan partidge? If not why not?
Otis Westinghouse

Thought I recognised his picture on the website, he was the brother in How Do You Want Me?, if you remember that from a few years back with the wonderful Dylan Moran (new series of Black Books in the making) and the sadly deceased Charlotte thingy. Didn't know he was Darth Maul!

Alan Partridge is a brilliant creation, but each series was less funny than the previous.
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

Spaced, Little Britain, Black Books, Look Around You, How Do You Want Me?, Alan Partridge....rename this thread Great British Comedy, Otis!

I saw Dylan Moran live in the Everyman a while back and he was the funniest friggin' thing ever.
A rope leash

Alternate universe thread

Post by A rope leash »

This is almost as good as the "footy" thread.

It sure sounds like it makes sense. I mean, I know what you're talking about, I just don't know what you're talking about.

Beer, anyone?
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Talking of Spaced...there's a new british comedy film coming out on April the 9th (teaser trailer aparrently in that shitty looking Farrelly bros comedy siamese twin thing)....sounds good, here's some blurb >>>>
THE ZOMBIE MOVIE: SHAUN OF THE DEAD
Spaced's Simon Pegg and Edgar Wright are the masterminds behind the latest FilmFour production. Conceived as early as late 1999/early 2002, and announced at the Cannes Festival in May 2002, the film is written by Simon and directed by Edgar. It is, according to FilmFour, "a naturalistic character comedy about our zombified couch potato culture, into which crashes a real zombie action movie" - or, as Edgar puts it: "It's Richard Curtis shot through the head by George Romero." According to Simon: "[it] will probably feature a few of Spaced faces... Resident Evil are main competition in the Zombie business. Our film will be better. It has to be damn it!!" He adds: "The film will be similar in tone to Spaced, although there will be no referencing other moments in popular culture. Having said that the whole film is one big reference to the movies of George Romero so I'm lying. Edgar is responsible for all the whooshing and the whipping that goes on in Spaced. He may or may not bring some of that to 'Shaun of the Dead'."
The project is being developed by Michael Winterbottom's Revolution Films, and despite recent upheavals at FilmFour, Simon says it is going "well". The collapse "put a slight wrinkle in our plans, " he adds, "putting everything back a month or two but we're back on track." Production should begin early 2003. In October 2002 he described the projects as "On the Horizon", which is good news.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Anyone watch Grass last night on BBC2....Simon Day (from the Fast Show) is brilliant!!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/guide/artic ... 0908.shtml

Also, you England-dwellers should check out Still Game, a new(ish) Scots comedy about 2 old blokes...is ace!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/scotland/tv/chewin ... till_game/