How many of us believe "The Truth will set you Free&quo

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.

Will The Truth will set you Free"?

Poll ended at Mon Jun 30, 2003 2:56 pm

Believer
54%
Nonbeliever
46%

Total votes: 13

firebetty

Post by firebetty »

now to bring this back to elvis...
do you believe in elvis?
do you think he is full of it but don't care?
do you not even think of it?
the first time i went to see elvis play i met this russian girl who said, "I love Elvis. He sings to my soul."
I would have to agree with that. But do I believe (in) him? I mean geez, if he sings to my soul shouldn't I? Yup, he's just a man and he is a preformer, and actor of sorts. He appears to sing with major amoutns of conviction which tears me up, but ultimately it is the understanding i make out of it is my own and my truth.
Rope, the dreams with the significant figures in them, don't you think about what is your truth in all of it? Don't you think Jesus and Mary and Budda are yours for the taking- not seperate from you to be weighed on a scale of reality. I guess to me they represent ideas, comfort, understanding, ideals.
James Borwn said that the most important thing to do is walk with integrity. I love JB, but that is quiet a statement coming from his past. I believe him to be sincer and for that to be a powerful statement. and i wish i was as strong as cope in my feelings. and "perception is a powerful deciever".
and finally, living in a world full of lies sucks.
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

Betty..we STRIVE to tell the truth! Sometimes the things we do cannot be backed up with moral standards or rationality. That's why I create a life where those close to me share my truth and my vision. I reject the people who can't understand me, or relate to my version of truth. Yes, it's an emotionally Machivelian way to approach things, but I like to compartmentalize my world. Those who receive the pure love are those who can understand the inner workings of my soul. Those who are not capable of accepting me and my reality (and thus offer me nothing) are almost useless and then the fear of telling the truth vanishes in my disdain for their values, and I realize I have nothing to lose by them rearing the ugly head of disapproval for my lifestyle or actions. NOW, the big slam is when you can't tell the truth to an "Insider", someone who truly understands and loves you for who you are....that is painful. My philosophy is....If you can't do the time, don't do the crime. Purity is an important thing, although the purity I speak of does not relate to purity within a bogus religious system or society. The Inner Circle....omerta...truth.
A rope leash

We made the cover of Complex magazine...

Post by A rope leash »

Cope, I'm not all that clear on what you're talking about, but I did pick up on the rejection part...

I've struggled with the religious imagery in my dreams. These dreams never seem insignificant, and some of them have turned out to be prophetic. How do I know it's Mary, and not some other force using Mary imagery because it knows what really frightens me? I think it's a legitimate question, since I've had other bizarre and prophetic dreams that had no religious images, and many other dreams that contain ridiculous acts and circumstances that , in the end, probably have more to do with the brain deconstructing the waking world.

Mary, Jesus and Buddha are there for me, but what do they really want? To show me that time is fixed? That's something I'd rather not know, and also something that would require harder evidence than what is found in dreams, even prophetic dreams starring religious icons.

My dead wife insists that she spoke with Jesus and walked with Jesus in a vision. I think it might have been a near-death experience, since it was somewhere near quart six of a famous vodka during a week that would include two or three more. In the years since, she has fallen some from Jesus, and especially since the war, partly due to the fact that her church is so pro-war, and so pushing Armageddon. She says, "what's the point of an eternity in Heaven when you've been so vile on Earth?"

No. I don't believe in Elvis. He writes the song because he can, and performs it with earnest gusto because that's what a rock act does. It's not that his work is not heartfelt, because the inspiration has to come from somewhere, but he's just a guy who knows how to write and perform a heartfelt song.

Ah, but what a wonderful gift he has...
firebetty

Post by firebetty »

cope, cheers to you. i think james brown would be proud. :wink:
rope, i think we are coming from very different places. i have no formal religious ties and believe that Mary, Jesus, and Budda were all just people. Their power lies in what can be learned from them. If you are wondering the sincerity of the connection you have with them (are other entities messing with you under Mary's guise), I guess I would look to see how I feel about them, what they mean to me, what are they trying to convey. Prophetic things happen all the time, it just matters if you are paying attention, and what you do with that information.

and come on. you don't believe in elvis? i am more skeptical of inspiration (girls, a good reason to keep a speed habit (coment intended in jest) , people bearing witness to genius pain, people just bearing witness, $$$$, meeting soccor stars, power...) then you are. :P
firebetty

Post by firebetty »

rope, i think we are coming from very different places. i have no formal religious ties and believe that Mary, Jesus, and Budda were all just people. Their power lies in what can be learned from them. If you are wondering the sincerity of the connection you have with them (are other entities messing with you under Mary's guise), I guess I would look to see how I feel about them, what they mean to me, what are they trying to convey. Prophetic things happen all the time, it just matters if you are paying attention, and what you do with that information.

and come on. you don't believe in elvis? i am more skeptical of inspiration (girls, a good reason to keep a speed habit (coment intended in jest) , people bearing witness to genius pain, people just bearing witness, $$$$, meeting soccor stars, power...) then you are. :P
firebetty

Post by firebetty »

firebetty

Post by firebetty »

A rope leash

Forked

Post by A rope leash »

Like, what I feel about Jesus is that he's this really cool dude until he gets in top the "I am the Way and the Light" business. Buddha's cool, but Mary is not a partyer.

Now, when they're all in the same dream together, that's something completely different.

Of course, prophetic occurances are almost everyday. Don't they indicate some ridgidness to the future? Many religions, it seems, don't hold out much in the way of anything expect "it's ordained", or "what will be will be", and that just seems dismal to me.

I don't see any freedom in it.

Gone to Arkansas.
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

I dont think the truth will set you free - try telling that to all the innocent people behind bars in prison........
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

Gilli...the truth will NEVER set you free when you're dealing with a state, government or court.....These institutions opperate in a dubious, half baked, idea of perceived truth in order to maintain control of the masses. The Truth will set you free in your own personal relations...hopefully. I was focusing more on EMOTIONAL and INTERPERSONAL truth. There is no Truth when dealing with institutions..Religion included.
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

Rope...I can appriciate the fact that you have "symbols" in your life, and these are real for you and deliver important information, which you need to make decisions and create your own life. We all have a need for that, and use symbols or power figures in order to do what we need to do. I actually have two little guys that sit on my shoulder and talk to me, one evil and one good. Just like in Animal House....the evil says "fuck her, Cope, fuck her brains out", and the other says "what will happen in the morning, when you wake up, and you will want her out of your apartment, you only are damaging yourself and hurting her". This pseudo-religious symbolic imagery pursuaded me to enact the Brunch Rule: "never have sex with someone who you don't want to eat brunch with the following morning".......of course it's academic now, as I'm no longer single, but it was good then. I also have the vision of my father, a wise, Godfather looking and acting sage, who is always with me, giving me advice.
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

my pearls of wisdom have gone to waste.. :lol:
A rope leash

The silent treatment doesn't qualify...

Post by A rope leash »

It isn't everyone who can relate to it. If you are mature enough to "fuck her brains out", then you're mature enough to know not to make any promises on the way there.

Having sex isn't evil, nor is kicking your partner out the next morning. If you promised nothing, then you owe nothing. Getting her rocks off should be enough. If she wants more, she can come back when you're reloaded.

Who needs the misery of "love"? Who wants to be tied to another person like a Mexican knife fight? Josie does, but it's a possession thing. Either one of us could break it off at any time, without the involvement of attorneys. That's good in my view, and I owe her little else other than respect.

Now, I could make her pay me years of back mortgage, but that's more of a Christian thing, like something my dead wife would do...
Copenhagen Fan

Post by Copenhagen Fan »

jeeez Rope...I guess it's all relative!! In my own case, the numbers game got kind of boring, and it lost it's thrill after the hoards of women I've been through... :lol:

Another point is that no matter what you tell a person beforehand, of course they still expect to be treated like a human being, and I'd rather avoid treating a person like a human being unless I feel it.

And NO sex is not evil...but when one is involved in some of the sexual games I play....you have a responsiblity to make sure you don't crack the other participant up....mentally. When you "play" evil, you sure as hell better not act evil afterwards.......you're taking another person's life and pyscological well being in your hands...you have to be responsible. :shock: I'm not just talking about "shoving it in"....GASP!
A rope leash

As I said...

Post by A rope leash »

You see, it's for those who can relate. I'm fairly straight-laced sexually, and I don't see any of my bedroom antics as being evil, or as being destructive, so I really don't see any problem in suggesting that someone leave afterwards.

What's really gonna fuck 'em up is if they stay, and get to know me...