What's Rhino's strategy?

Pretty self-explanatory
bambooneedle

What's Rhino's strategy?

Post by bambooneedle »

August '01: Spike/All This Useless Beauty/My Aim Is True.

6 Months later... February '02: Brutal Youth/ Blood & Chocolate/ This Year's Model.

9 Months later... November '02: Mighty Like A Rose/Armed Forces/ Imperial Bedroom.

10 months later... September '03: Trust/ Get Happy!!/Punch The Clock.

According to this pattern, the next reissues should be out by about October '04. Other than the time needed to remaster and package, I'm wondering what real difference it could make if they just went ahead and released them ASAP, since the more popular ones are already out... Maybe they were just waiting EC last time, while he was on tour...

Has there been any mention yet at all about when KOA etc might be out..?
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

October '04 if your theory is correct :D

Any word on whether or not they've decided to do Juliet Letters and/or Goodbye Cruel World?
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Those two are supposed to be reissued last, as they are not part of any thematically-linked set of three like the rest.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

I thought that the next 3 come out here in Feb/March like last year....

they are supposedly relasing TJL, GCW and also expanded version of The Man (which prob will just be another expanded 'best of' disc, no actual new tracks) individually...

doubt whether they'll bother releasing them individually though, seeing as the sales haven't been amazing...less marketing to do.
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

According to Mike Bodayle, former co-editor of the much missed fanzine Beyond Belief,
The current target date for the next batch of reissues (KV, AB, GCW) is
March 2004.
Mike has good contacts in the industry so this is probably the most reliable indicator at the moment. As always its dependant on Elvis getting the sleevenotes done.
Pov

Post by Pov »

There was an article on the Rhino site about the reissues - an interview with the guy responsible for them, IIRC, and it gave a list of the CDs that would be released together and the approximate sequence of release (but not actual dates). My recollection was that KOA was going to be in the last thematic group, but before JL and GCW and TL.

Oddly, all references to Elvis Costello at the Rhino site have been eliminated. They are not even selling the CDs through their online store. I wonder if something is going on :?
King of Fools

Post by King of Fools »

There's something wrong with Rhino's search feature, but Elvis CDs are still available through Rhino. Check out the following link:

http://www.rhino.com/artists/costello/
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

I've emailed Rhino through their site a couple of times now asking when they're reissuing in 'Region 1 and 2' (the capitalist conglomerate names for the UK and USA)...no reply YET!
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Region 1 and Region 2 only has to do with the DVD or VHS, laughingcrow.

They probably have no idea what the hell you're talking about :D
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

...um yeah I know Blue, I was just being a smart arse, I didn't say region 1 or 2 in the emails :D .

Just a way to completely standardise Earth's multicultural regions into one huge market place for the conglomerates to harvest. I can't wait for Region 2 to have a flag, national anthem and patriotic denizens...