Talking Heads

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Who Shot Sam?

Talking Heads

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Haven't seen a thread on the Heads, so thought I would start one. I had all of their stuff on vinyl but hadn't listened to it for ages. "Remain in Light" and "Fear of Music" were in heavy rotation when I was in high school and college.

In any case, the Heads have a great new boxed set out with most of their best stuff, plus all of their videos, spread out over three CDs and a DVD. Great packaging and liner notes from all of the band members. It doesn't include anything from "Stop Making Sense," but that was re-issued recently too. Has there ever been a better concert film? I can only think of a few that compare. "Stop Making Sense" is the rare case of a band captured on film at its absolute peak, musically and creatively.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
HungupStrungup

Post by HungupStrungup »

Stop Making Sense is indeed a wonderful concert film, rivalled in my opinion only by The Last Waltz. I give the nod to SMS because it's more tightly focussed, and because of the utter lack of Neil Diamond.

As if the movie weren't great enough, the DVD is especially wonderful, as I've pointed out on this board and its predecessors ad nauseum, for its extras, the commentary by director Jonathan Demme and the four band members; for David Byrne's self-interview and for the extra songs cut out of the movie for time, "Cities" and "Big Business/"I Zimbra."

Some restoration work had to be done on the film, so it's great that DVD came along when it did. In a few more years this treasure might have been too degraded.
"But it's a dangerous game that comedy plays
Sometimes it tells you the truth
Sometimes it delays it"
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Just been writing on the above on the DVD thread: it's top of my must buys!

I fancy that box set - well Christmas is coming soon, no? I love all their early LPs, with Fear of Music my personal fave (that's where I discovered them, and fell in love). Good to hear it's been well done.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Sadly, my only exposure to Talking Heads is my Talking Heads '77 vinyl, and selected songs that I've heard on the radio.

I HAVEN'T EVEN SEEN STOP MAKING SENSE!!!

There I said it. I need to do something about this, very quickly.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

I still remember being in college and singing "Burning Down the House" too loud in the library one night. The librarian wasn't happy. Boy, that was a long time ago.

I'll be going now. . . . . . . :roll:
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Yeah, Stop Making Sense is great, I recently rediscovered my video after many years lurking in a box (the video not me).
signed with love and vicious kisses
senior_service

Post by senior_service »

I had the good fortune to have attended one of the Talking Heads shows at the Pantages that was filmed for 'Stop Making Sense'. A terrific show by a band at the height of their powers. A memorable evening. It's nice to be able to go back and re-live the show by just popping in the DVD. The only disappointing thing about the concert was that they didn't play an encore. I'd seen them a few nights earlier at the Long Beach Arena and they played a similar show, but included and encore.
pip_52

Post by pip_52 »

I havent seen Stop Making Sense either . . . the shame!

I need to do that sometime. I do have the cd though.
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

I have Stop Making Sense on vinyl and think the album is great....but I haven't seen the film either! :oops: