Little Palaces as an Art Project

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Little Palaces as an Art Project

Post by spooky girlfriend »

KOA lovers especially take note - I just had to share this. :)

My 14 year-old daughter came home yesterday beaming about art class. She said their assignment was to take a song and make the lyrics into five or six successive illustrations. They were allowed to use the internet to choose song lyrics, so she said she went straight to google to search for Elvis, because she knows he has great lyrics. (This is really cool because she could have gone for some top 40 crap.) She went to King of America (*beaming as I type this*) and decided on Little Palaces. Her art teacher thought it was fabulous and would make a great project.

I'm sharing my love for KOA with my kids and they really do hear it. Sometimes I wonder, since they get exposed to lots of other kinds of music. But when it came time to get serious and find good lyrics for a project like this, my daughter went straight to The Man himself.
:)
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

That sounds great, spooky! Show us the results when they're done :D

Not having any children of my own, I always try to feed my younger sisters a steady diet of good music. Unfortunately, they're 17 and 19 and still caught in their world of poppity pop. But I'm always amused when my youngest sister comes down to my room and asks to borrow a CD. Oddly, the 19 year old has no interest.

And to think, I bought a Son House CD when I was like 16. :)

I didn't buy King Of America until I was 19, but I bought My Aim Is True when I was 17.
Last edited by BlueChair on Thu Oct 02, 2003 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DrJ

Post by DrJ »

I was 14 when I bought King of America. I'm so great.

DrJ

(Actually, I now feel kinda old)
Tlentifini Maarhaysu
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

I was 17.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
pip_52

Post by pip_52 »

I was 20 . . . but then, that was only 2 years ago :oops:

Little Palaces is usually my favorite song from KOA.
migdd

Post by migdd »

Spooky, you should be a very proud mom!

When my daughter was born in 1996, we could not put her down to sleep. . .she would only sleep while being held! We found that listening to "The Other End of the Telescope" (of all songs!) calmed her down enough to where she could rest outside our arms! Don't know if it was the particular melody or Elvis' soothing vocal delivery (ahem!) but something about that song did it for the little girl. She's now 7 years old and is into the Dixie Chicks and Alison Krause but still enjoys Elvis. My 5-year-old son's first musical memories are of listening to internet downloads of "Tear Off Your Own Head" in the weeks prior to WIWC's release. It was very odd to have a 3-year-old running around the house dancing and yelling "tear off your own head . . .it's a dog revoluuuuution!" Wish I had thought to have the camcorder out on those days!!!
migdd

Post by migdd »

By the way, you youngsters, I was 26 when KOA was released. I remember thinking how far Elvis' had progressed since I started listening to him in 1978! Imagine if I had heard North in 1986!
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Well, here it is - the finished product. My daughter's art project on Little Palaces was received so well by her high school art teacher that it spent some time in the glass showcase in the main hall of the school. :) DrS and I were very proud.

I know it's a very literal interpretation of the lyrics, but still. . .there are so many crap songs she could have chosen. She picked an Elvis song and a KOA song at that, so I must be doing something right. :wink:

She had to use magazine clips, and only six images from the lyrics of a song, so this is what she did. The first pic is obviously "chocolate town" (a town with pics of candy bars around it), the second is the "dapper little man" and nicotine, the third is the "door that swings open from the past into the present." The fourth is the "you're the twinkle in your daddy's eye", the fifth is "you made all the girls turn their heads and in turn they made you miserable," and the sixth is of course "little palaces."

A rope leash

Great!

Post by A rope leash »

Now do Pump It Up!
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

She did a really good job Spooky and I hope she got top marks for it! Well done little Miss Spooky junior!!
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
A rope leash

Days of silence

Post by A rope leash »

Happy Birthday, Gilli!
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

talented board members have talented kids. congratulate her for me, spooks and dr. spooks.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Well done spooky jnr.
signed with love and vicious kisses
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

Since we're throwing out requests, I'd like to see Busy Bodies.

Seriously - Great job Teenage Spooky !!!