Recent CD Purchases

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
senior_service

Post by senior_service »

Picked up Joe Strummer and the Mescaleros' 'Streetcore' the other day and have been listening to it non-stop. What a terrific parting gift from Joe. Props to the Meskies and Lucinda for putting this album together. It's easily Joe's best work since Sandinista!

Also bought Exile on Main Street this week, but haven't listened to it much. I've never been a big Stones fan, but I figured I needed to have this in my collection.
goodbyegirl

Post by goodbyegirl »

Here's my recent list of purchases:

The Jayhawks-Rainy Day Music - still in my cd player. I know there are some other fans here. I love this cd.

Ween-Quebec- What is it about these guys that keeps me buying their music? They are a couple of goofballs who put out some great music. Who else can sing a catchy tune about Zoloft.

Rufus Wainwright-Want One I've been reading so much about him I just had to hear for myself what all the buzz was about. I would say it is very good, maybe even great the more I listen to it. There is something very unique about this singer-songwriter. I'm hoping to see him in concert this week. And finally,

EC-North I won't bother posting this on the North thread. I'm not disappointed, as I kind of new he wouldn't be rockin on this one. Not one of my favorites. I still love you you though, Elvis.
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

hello goodbyegirl!

You almost never get to say that in context.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Picked up Joe Strummer and the Mescaleros' 'Streetcore' the other day and have been listening to it non-stop. What a terrific parting gift from Joe. Props to the Meskies and Lucinda for putting this album together. It's easily Joe's best work since Sandinista!
Totally agree with you ss, I have been had this on for the past two weeks, it is definitely one of the top albums of the year for me.
signed with love and vicious kisses
BurnishedGold

Post by BurnishedGold »

Yesterday I picked up Sarah McLachlan Afterglow and a friend gave me Dave Matthews Some Devil. Next week I will be buying Josh Groban Closer. I just can't wait for Xmas. :D
HungupStrungup

the film was sappy but not all that bad

Post by HungupStrungup »

BlueChair wrote:Finally? Isn't The Family Man that atrocious movie with Nicolas Cage and Mrs. David Duchovny?
That's the one. I didn't buy the movie, so its atrociousness (or lack of same) isn't the issue. EC's "You Stole My Bell" is far from atrocious, and it's the reason I finally acquired the soundtrack CD.
"But it's a dangerous game that comedy plays
Sometimes it tells you the truth
Sometimes it delays it"
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

BurnishedGold wrote:Yesterday I picked up Sarah McLachlan Afterglow and a friend gave me Dave Matthews Some Devil. Next week I will be buying Josh Groban Closer. I just can't wait for Xmas. :D
Yikes, you sound like my sister. Where did all the rock 'n' roll fans go? Did your friend give you the Dave Matthews disc because it sucks ass? :D
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
BurnishedGold

Post by BurnishedGold »

BlueChair wrote: Yikes, you sound like my sister. Where did all the rock 'n' roll fans go? Did your friend give you the Dave Matthews disc because it sucks ass? :D

:lol: well I am a chick.. I LOVE Sarah M. As for the DM cd...it was a gift because we used to really like the DMB. However, this cd is disappointing. It's no Everyday, but it's bad.
Boy With A Problem

BC wrote:
Did your friend give you the Dave Matthews disc because it sucks ass?
Does it suck ass, because it's really bad musically. Personally, I couldn't name one Dave Mathews song - they're just not part of my life and I get him confused with the Maher guy. But I kind of equate their music to Hooty & the Blowfish, a band everyone hated because they were ubiquitous for a while. The music of these guys just goes right by me without me either liking or disliking it. Though a guy at work tells me that the DMB drummer is really special.

Now a band that I was totally unfamiliar with until the other night that really sucks ass is Rascal Flats. They had to be the worst thing I've seen in years. I caught them on the CMA and I couldn't figure out why they were country. They sang one of those ballad type numbers and it could have been Aerosmith or Cher singing it - absoluteley nothing to do with country music. And they looked really stupid too. I guess you fall into whatever genre your label decides to market you to.
Elfslut

Post by Elfslut »

I bought Sarah's Afterglow today as well. I wonder when I'll get around to listening to it.

::sigh::

To much to do....this week...must burn mix cds for my weekend excursion to OH
costellopunk

Post by costellopunk »

i picked up the posthumous joe strummer album: streetcore and i really dig it. its got some great songs. it has a real uplifting vibe to it which i think is great. it showcases his character well.

i also bought the rem greatest hits album with the cool ass bonus disc and the hilarious liner notes. the funky live version of drive and the wacked out dub version of chance are great and it ends with a live version of country feedback that put you on the floor.
-it takes a long time but god dies too/but not before he sticks it to you-
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

Tom Russell - Modern Art
Waylon Jennings - Waylon Live! (2 disc expanded edition)

On the dvd side, picked up All About Eve and Punch Drunk Love for $9.99 each.
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

costellopunk wrote:the funky live version of drive and the wacked out dub version of chance are great
woah. i need that.
Loving this board since before When I Was Cruel.
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

Janis Joplin's Greatest Hits

Has anyone heard about the movie of her life that they are making with Renee Z....I think?
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I decided I needed more 2003 albums, and picked up Calexico's Feast Of Wire. It's quite the remarkable album.

Joey Burns sings and plays a whole slew of instruments: guitar, upright bass, accordion, percussion, cello, pump organ, mandolin, banjo, vibes, keyboards, vocals, etc. There's all sorts of horns and strings on the album that make some of the songs sound like a soundtrack to some epic Tex-Mex film. Some of the songs are instrumentals and some have some interesting vocals.

Has anybody else heard this album?
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

I bought Feast of Wire for my dad, but I don't think he listens to it much, more's the pity.
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

Steve Earle - Train a'Comin' (absolute magic!)
Jeff Buckley - Grace (not sure yet)
Johny Cash - Live at San Quentin (brilliant, of course)
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

ReadyToHearTheWorst wrote:Steve Earle - Train a'Comin' (absolute magic!)
Jeff Buckley - Grace (not sure yet)
Johny Cash - Live at San Quentin (brilliant, of course)
Glad to hear that you are digging the Steve Earle and Johnny Cash albums. Earle's take on Tecumseh Valley is probably one of the two or three greatest Townes Van Zandt covers ever. Much has already been written about Johnny Cash's great prison albums but, if you don't already have a copy, you really owe it to yourself to check out At Folsom Prison.
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

BlueChair wrote:I decided I needed more 2003 albums, and picked up Calexico's Feast Of Wire. It's quite the remarkable album.

Joey Burns sings and plays a whole slew of instruments: guitar, upright bass, accordion, percussion, cello, pump organ, mandolin, banjo, vibes, keyboards, vocals, etc. There's all sorts of horns and strings on the album that make some of the songs sound like a soundtrack to some epic Tex-Mex film. Some of the songs are instrumentals and some have some interesting vocals.

Has anybody else heard this album?
Man, Feast of Wire is the gift that keeps on giving! A friend of mine in Calgary is burning that cd for me as an early Xmas present.

As of this week....

The Blasters - Testament: The Complete Slash Recordings
Johnny Cash - Ride This Train!
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

I bought a few discs in Italy that I like a lot. All Italian artists.

Jovanotti - A guy whose career began as the Italian Gerardo has grown in the last few years to be more of the Italian Beck meets the Italian Peter Gabriel. I really like his albums strating with Lorenzo 1994. Especially good are L'Albera (Lorenzo 1997), Capo Horn (Lorenzo 1999), and Il Quinto Mondo (Lorenzo 2002). I picked up Capo Horn and Lorenzo 1994 on this trip. I could never find them stateside before. More later.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
girl out of time

Post by girl out of time »

the raveonettes-chain gang of love..........great album!
...the promise of indulgence in my confidential voice approached inmortal danger but you´ll never know how close....
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Man, I'm really addicted to spending money I don't have on CD.

Today I went a little overboard.

Randy Newman - Songbook Vol. 1

Leonard Cohen - The Essential Leonard Cohen

Jeff Buckley - Live At Siné (includes lots of interesting covers like Strange Fruit, Just Like A Woman, etc.)

Mary Lee's Corvette - Blood On The Tracks (live cover of the entire Dylan album... very cool)
Boy With A Problem

BC wrote -
Mary Lee's Corvette - Blood On The Tracks (live cover of the entire Dylan album... very cool)
Don't you love the audience meber during Jack of Hearts? That's a really fun album.

I picked up the new Joe Strummer - and like the other folks have said, this one is special. Easily my favorite this year.
El Vez

Post by El Vez »

Scored big time and bought a copy of Warren Zevon's Bad Luck Streak In Dancing School! I was so happy to find this one as it is one of Zevon's best regarded albums and contains probably his most demented novelty song in Gorilla, You're A Desperado. It's a really, really strong set of songs with Empty Handed Heart standing out as one of the most moving lost love songs I've ever heard in my life.
Last edited by El Vez on Sun Nov 30, 2003 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Resolutely not buying any new LPS unless they're by old favourites, I went back 20 years anbd got 'Murmur', REM's first. Never heard it, only 'Radio Free Europe', 'Talk About The Passion' and 'Perfect Circle', all of which I know from a best of the IRS years. The latter is particularly fabulous. Heard a live version on the BBC not so far back, and was awestruck. And it's a great LP, I can see why it has that reputation. Loads of distinctive and lovable songs. they emerged prett fully-formed with their own sound and feel intact, no? 'Laughing' is a favourite right now. Love the cover, too. And the title.